faxx2

Launching or dropping a bomb?

I am not sure if i am asking a dumb question, but how does one know whether a "bomber" can drop or launch a bomb? 

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question, but any ship with a bomb upgrade equipped can launch or drop that bomb depending on how that bomb is deployed.  Currently there are no devices that are launched when being deployed without using some other upgrade that allows you to launch a device instead of dropping it (Trajectory Simulator), but that will likely change in the future.

Hm, from my understanding--the base line is dropping a bomb, and unless you have a trajectory simulator or some specific ship unique quality, you can only drop. (but this is gleamed form inferences)

The example in the rules simply shows one ship dropping and a punisher launching with no explanation why the punisher is launching (or rather how the punisher is able to launch).

4 minutes ago, faxx2 said:

Hm, from my understanding--the base line is dropping a bomb, and unless you have a trajectory simulator or some specific ship unique quality, you can only drop. (but this is gleamed form inferences)

The example in the rules simply shows one ship dropping and a punisher launching with no explanation why the punisher is launching (or rather how the punisher is able to launch).

The punisher would have Trajectory Simulator.

Gochya, so as it stands the Rebel faction cannot launch any device, since (at the time of writing) they don't have a ship with both the bomb slot and the sensor slot.

5 minutes ago, faxx2 said:

Gochya, so as it stands the Rebel faction cannot launch any device, since (at the time of writing) they don't have a ship with both the bomb slot and the sensor slot.

Correct

15 minutes ago, TIE wing said:

Aren't forward launch and backwards drop?

Correct. You launch or drop the device as instructed by the upgrade card.

To date, all existing device upgrades say "drop", so go out the back unless you have a rule saying otherwise.

A theoretical future device upgrade could launch by default instead.

16 hours ago, faxx2 said:

Correct. Also, Scum can only do so with either a unique ship title (Havoc/Trajectory Simulator) or a unique pilot (Constable Zuvio)

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Correct. You launch or drop the device as instructed by the upgrade card.

To date, all existing device upgrades say "drop", so go out the back unless you have a rule saying otherwise.

A theoretical future device upgrade could launch by default instead.

Correct. Also, Scum can only do so with either a unique ship title (Havoc/Trajectory Simulator) or a unique pilot (Constable Zuvio)

Add in the Scum Aggressors (so 4 more unique pilots, IG-88 A,B,C,D), they have a Sensor slot and 1 Device slot.

it seems odd that they included these launching rules at launch, when very few ships could launch. . . presumably they plan on future expansions utilizing the launch rule . . . . 

7 minutes ago, faxx2 said:

it seems odd that they included these launching rules at launch, when very few ships could launch. . . presumably they plan on future expansions utilizing the launch rule . . . . 

It was either that or release a lot of errata for existing cards when they release a device that is natively launched.  It has resulted in a little confusion now, but I think it was ultimately the better choice in the long run.

1 minute ago, joeshmoe554 said:

It was either that or release a lot of errata for existing cards when they release a device that is natively launched.  It has resulted in a little confusion now, but I think it was ultimately the better choice in the long run.

Hmm, having not payed 1.0, was launching devices in the game? if so which ships were able (i.e. do they match up with what can launch now?)

26 minutes ago, joeshmoe554 said:

The "Launch" keyword was introduced with Trajectory Simulator even though two pilots could already launch bombs (Deathrain and Constable Zuvio).

And for completeness, neither used the Launch keyword.

42 minutes ago, faxx2 said:

I'd be stunned if it doesn't come up soon, indeed, there's a lot of new Device-looking things in wave 3 so I would be pretty surprised if one of those doesn't use it.

So the concept of "launching" as a key word over a unique talent was introduced in pretty much one of the last 1.0 waves. . . interesting 

fun thing is that since FFG has not printed the upgrades on the cards, they can always change the upgrades of ships to give them sensors to allow them the get the trajectory simulator.

Sorry to open up an old thread again - this has been really helpful.

So to be clear, if the card says (in the case of Deathrain) "Launch or drop" then I can use the forward facing of the ship for a bomb or a torpedo?

And trajectory simulator because it has the LAUNCH word attached to it, allows me to use the 5 forward template out of my front guides?

thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Kaleb daark said:

Sorry to open up an old thread again - this has been really helpful.

So to be clear, if the card says (in the case of Deathrain) "Launch or drop" then I can use the forward facing of the ship for a bomb or a torpedo?

And trajectory simulator because it has the LAUNCH word attached to it, allows me to use the 5 forward template out of my front guides?

thanks in advance.

With Deathrain and other general "drop or launch" language, the answer is "not really."  There currently are no devices (bombs or mines) which Deathrain can launch.  The best way to think about it is that Deathrain gets an opportunity, but must follow all the normal rules, for placing a device.  It's similar to his ability to perform an attack when he's destroyed.  Deathrain can fire a Proton Torpedo, if he has a lock on someone at Range 2-3 in his front arc.  He can't ignore focus or lock requirements, or ignore range or arc requirements.  As such, if Deathrain has a Proximity Mine (any works... just picking this one) and is destroyed, he can drop a Proximity Mine with all the normal rules for a drop.  Here, that would be with the rear guides of the ship using a 1-straight (as indicated on the card) or with a 1-bank (due to the TIE Bomber's ship ability, which allows you to switch from a straight to a bank).

Trajectory Simulator, if it's on a ship, allows it to either drop a bomb or mine as normal (for all existing upgrades that means using the 1-straight on any upgrade), or launch a bomb (and not a mine) using a 5-straight during the system phase only.  If it isn't during the system phase?  You'll have to follow the normal drop rules on the card.  If it isn't a mine?  You'll have to follow the normal rules.  In every case, the normal rules are a 1-straight drop.

Also, the "launch or drop" phrase will finally make sense when droids arrive:

(Drone still subject to change)

latest?cb=20190211023106

latest?cb=20180914172209

In  a future, I suppose we'll be seeing more devices, including ones that can be launched. So, "drop or launch" is there preemptively.