matt.sucharski

Vulture Launching (from rocks)

1 minute ago, SpiderMana said:

But you're right, you can open your struts if you land in a gas cloud. Depending on their effect, I guess it could be useful? I would tend to think Gas Clouds will be particularly harmful for Vultures to fly into, but who knows.

đŸ¤¨Â Nope.

swz29_struts-closed.png

50 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Run the process of the config starting with it closed.

swz29_struts-closed.png

This part happens while a maneuver is executed. So if a Vulture equipped with this config ends its maneuver on an asteroid or debris cloud (the requirement in the rules to qualify for Overlapping) and there is at most 1 other friendly on that obstacle the card may be  flipped.

Now for the flip side of the card:

swz29_struts-open.png

Last statement of this side states "After you execute a maneuver, flip this card." The maneuver is not fully executed when the struts are switched from closed to open, but is fully executed after the struts are opened resulting in the card being flipped back to closed. This Configuration needs an Errata pass to function as intended, as written it doesn't function at all.

So, you're invoking rule-as-written while ignoring a whole bunch of what is written on the card. Gotcha. At least I understand the negates itself argument. I find it specious but I get it now.

giphy.gif

Just now, Hiemfire said:

đŸ¤¨Â Nope.

Yeah yeah I fixed itÂ đŸ˜…

BUT and I could still be getting this wrong, IF your struts are open, via a barrel roll or what have you, you can safely move through gas clouds whilst ignoring their effects, since your struts don't close until you finish the maneuver.

1 minute ago, Frimmel said:

So, you're invoking rule-as-written while ignoring a whole bunch of what is written on the card. Gotcha. At least I understand the negates itself argument. I find it specious but I get it now.

Not ignoring at all. The last statement is problematic period and needs to be reassessed by FFG because it cancels out the rest of the card by causing the config to flip back over after the initial overlap of the asteroid or debris field. The bulk of the rest of the open side of the configuration involves what can be done while on an obstacle, asteroid or debris clouds for the most part, though the first statement does apply to gas clouds, with the struts open...

5 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

BUT and I could still be getting this wrong, IF your struts are open, via a barrel roll or what have you, you can safely move through gas clouds whilst ignoring their effects, since your struts don't close until you finish the maneuver.

Yep. :)

12 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

(1) An important distinction put in place by how "Overlapping" is explained in the Rules Reference.

(2) Directly stated on the closed side of the struts config. The Gas Clouds still have full effect if the struts equipped Vulture overlaps it with the struts closed and the struts do not open (now moving onto a Gas Cloud with the struts already open, which is possible but takes a bit of planning, would negate any overlap effects that occur during the Execute Maneuver step of the Activation Phase, of which we know of none at the moment).

swz29_struts-closed.png

swz29_struts-open.png

Good catch.  

My bad, I was getting excited.