SanguineAngel

Lightsaber Colours

2 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Dave Filoni is more than just the "animation guy", given that he is also one of the executive producers and is directing at least one, possibly more, episodes of The Mandalorian.

But he isn't a canon character, nor does he have creative control over the franchise as a whole. George Lucas did have that control, but as he doesn't anymote, anything he has said that hasn't made it into media is also not canon.

Secondly, yes, Pablo Hidalgo has gone on record stating that Jango has claims to Concord Dawn as his homeworld, and he too is one of the "big wigs" at Lucasfilm. The key point here, is that within the fiction, we have two contradictory in character statements. Jango, who claims to be from Concord Dawn (a mandalorian colony), and Olmec, denying Jango is Mandalorian, for purely political reasons, not wanting to be associated with a notorious bounty hunter and assassin. As such, the veracity of his in character statement is colored by his political ambitions. And out of universe we have Filoni saying Jango isn't Mandalorian (at least not by blood), and Hidalgo confirming in universe claims by Jango that he is from Concord Dawn, a Mandalorian world, of which there is no reason why Jango would lie about that as he has nothing to gain by lying nor lose by telling the truth since Concord Dawn is a "back woods" colony, not the Mandalorian homeworld. And it is a long established part of his history since he was first introduced. These are contradictions regarding Jango's status, that, combined with the differing ways someone can be considered Mandalorian or not, leave open this question to certain points of view

By contrast, Filoni's statement regarding Ahsoka's lightsaber crystals have no such contradictions. The book establishes how Sith get their red bladed lightsabers (through "bleeding" the crystals to corrupt them), and Ahsoka purifies two of them and attunes them to herself, changing them from red to clear, and thus creating white blades. Filoni then confirms that this particular color occurred because of Ahsoka not being a Jedi. This is everything we have on this. There's no "subjective" or contradictory information or opinions, of "true from a certain point of view" as is the case with Jango. It's an objective fact regarding why Ahsoka's lightsabers have blades that particular color.

In one case you accept that the vague and/or contradictory on-screen statements means that the behind-the-scenes comments can't be taken as canonical truth, and in the other case you're arguing for the complete opposite.

DZQTDMs.gif

It's at best unclear whether Filoni is talking about in-universe or design choices when mentioning her lightsabers; seconds earlier he was discussing her armor design, mentioning that he wanted it to look like something she found in an old temple, which does not mean that, canonically, she found her armor in an old temple despite us having no other information on it.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter, because behind the scenes commentary is not canon, even if it's correct, because canon needs to be established, and the only media that even raises the point makes it just as likely to be related to the cleansing process itself as some intrinsic quality of Ahsoka. So, canonically, it's inconclusive until directly adressed. Just like Jango.

However, there is a practical reason why I bold certain words or passages. 

Practical to whom?

3 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Dave Filoni is more than just the "animation guy", given that he is also one of the executive producers and is directing at least one, possibly more, episodes of The Mandalorian. Secondly, yes, Pablo Hidalgo has gone on record stating that Jango has claims to Concord Dawn as his homeworld, and he too is one of the "big wigs" at Lucasfilm.

OK, so now you're not even just cherry-picking which statements by LFL personnel to accept and which to ignore, but cherry-picking words within a single sentence to ignore. Pablo's Twitter response to the question, as I quoted above (leaving out only the tag of the person he was responding to) was, verbatim, "The Fetts aren't Mandalorian, though I suppose Jango claimed to be from Concord Dawn at some point." Look at those two words, "I suppose." Let's look at them again, "I suppose." And another word, "Claimed." And his statement that you're clinging to to prove that Jango is Mandalorian begins with four very explicit, spcific words: "The Fetts aren't Mandalorian."

4 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

The key point here, is that within the fiction, we have two contradictory in character statements. Jango, who claims to be from Concord Dawn (a mandalorian colony), and Olmec, denying Jango is Mandalorian, for purely political reasons, not wanting to be associated with a notorious bounty hunter and assassin. As such, the veracity of his in character statement is colored by his political ambitions. And out of universe we have Filoni saying Jango isn't Mandalorian (at least not by blood), and Hidalgo confirming in universe claims by Jango that he is from Concord Dawn, a Mandalorian world, of which there is no reason why Jango would lie about that as he has nothing to gain by lying nor lose by telling the truth since Concord Dawn is a "back woods" colony, not the Mandalorian homeworld. And it is a long established part of his history since he was first introduced. These are contradictions regarding Jango's status, that, combined with the differing ways someone can be considered Mandalorian or not, leave open this question to certain points of view

See above. The statement by Pablo that you're clinging to here begins with the very definitive statement, "The Fetts aren't Mandalorian." You continue to claim that the only statement on the matter that is held in current canon is questionable, but we've also got Filoni's statement of why that line exists at all: to establish on-screen Lucas' intent that Jango isn't Mandalorian. So...we have "one of the executive producers and is directing at least one, possibly more, episodes of The Mandalorian" telling us that the line is meant to establish the intent of the character's creator, with that character status being backed up by "one of the "big wigs" at Lucasfilm." But, apparently, all of that is trumped by contradictory ancillary media that those same individuals (and the company they represent) no longer accept as canon. Meanwhile, just one of those same people, with nothing corroborated by the other two (or on screen), making statements about why creative choices were made must be accepted as canonical gospel.

Bust a move.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:06 PM, HappyDaze said:

Even canon has opened up beyond red/blue/green and purple by adding pale blue (looked white to me), white, yellow, and one black. I'm fairly confident that this will eventually go back to everybody having their own snowflake color.

Snowflakes have different colors?

I know we're both from Florida and don't ever see snowflakes but aren't they white?

Hey guys! Thanks for the input on this topic,. Also thanks for the amusing side-nonsense. A true treat!

Just thought I'd check in and let you know that I eventually went with colours established by the crystal. It's not canon anymore but I find it a lot more concrete and personally satisfying. Everyone who got their crystal from the same source got the same colour blades. One crystal came from elsewhere and got a blue blade.

Anyway, cheers again for the input. You may resume squabbling 👌

On 1/27/2019 at 3:04 PM, HappyDaze said:

Yes, I did it once myself but quit when it became obvious that Tramp will never understand satire.

That’s because you are doing it wrong....

Never get into an online debate  in forums because it’s gonna give you a headache and drive your heart rate up.
Also, you never should bold text randomly or it’s gonna cause others to complain about letters you put down on the site