Korlall

Inquisition Campaign Setting

For a while now I've been working on my own campaign setting. It was released on the facebook group and on the Discord server bnut I figured it should have its own Forum thread.

That setting is inspired by the real Earth’s medieval ages; mostly from its political structure, with lords and vassals. Coming out of many years of Dungeons and Dragons and Pathfinder, I wanted to take out some fantasy out of the genre and go back to something closer to middle-ages.

The idea of the Inquisition came to me while playing the Graveyard Keeper videogame, in which some church inquisition takes place in the background. It seemed interesting to me though that witches would be actually real and not just an excuse for the church to burn down people. With witches in the setting, I thought it would be interesting to have some dark fantasy; horrors that the characters could face, but without turning them into heroes slaying hordes of demons, undead and other creatures. Creatures in this setting would always be difficult to beat, and potentially leaving lasting traumas. The inspirations behind the creatures you’ll see in this book are coming from various horror movies and random Pinterest pictures, Grimm fairytales, and the Darkest Dungeon videogame.

Inquisition is a work in progress yet totally playable setting. More content is coming out soon. I'm already working on its first adventure module that I hope to release either in February or March.

Link to Google Drive Folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kqnn7Eusi6N_vBj70f2eWynreoXA2cTQ

Link to Discord server: https://discord.gg/kaKWCrg

Edited by Korlall

The Inquisition didn't burn any witch during Middle-Age. In fact nobody was burnt for witchcraft during all the Middle-Age. And the Inquisition didn't burn anybody that was not its job. Its job was to chase heretics and to make them to disavow their belief and repent to be accepted back in the Church. That was the Inquisition preferred method to fight heresy. Only those who felt back in their heresy where handed to secular arm to be executed, that means burned at the stakes the most often.

@WolfRider To complement what @drainsmith said, the witches in this setting are actual witches and capable of spellcasting. Their power is tied to their lineage and not their beliefs. The Church of the Creator isn't after their belief, but after their blood. To the Church, every witch is inherently evil due to their blood and has to be purged. 

@WolfRiderThe idea that the Inquisition didn't burn witches is historically incorrect.  While you're right that their primary 'job' was to root out heretics, this included anything that didn't fit their spiritual sensibilities, including witches.  Pope Innocent VII published a papal bull in 1484 explicitly acknowledging witches and sorcerers, and empowering the Inquisition to prosecute them.  Heinrich Kramer is the big example, and is believed to have had 48 individuals executed under the belief they were witches, and wrote a famous book on the subject.

You could be technically correct that the Inquisition didn't burn anyone during the Middle Ages...  Since they weren't around until 1251...