I give it a C-, which is really just a nice way of giving someone a D.

You put in the effort to do.......something, although I'm not sure why.

I'd recommend attending "Puns 101" and "An Introduction to Snark" before your next attempt at whatever this was.

;)

Edited by Ishi Tonu

I couldn’t get past the crab entry.....  If your going to “help” people with clan choosing, at least that what I thought you were doing, it needs to be more serious.  I’m sure this was for fun.  But it was not fun to read.  

5 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

I give it a C-, which is really just a nice way of giving someone a D.

You put in the effort to do.......something, although I'm not sure why.

I'd recommend attending "Puns 101" and "An Introduction to Snark" before your next attempt at whatever this was.

;)

I’ll go straight C, because I feel you were trying to make a positive contribution to the community, unlike some people who are only ever negative with their creative energy.

But speaking as a pretty brand new player, I would have liked a more serious take.  I don’t mind being educated on some of the humorous side of the community, like a “if you play x you might be (or might be accused of being)...” but I would have been much more interested in “this is your meta, this is your lore in a nutshell, these are some good splash ideas” etc.

As a heavy lore lover, I would also be very interested in “here is a cool theme based on event X in the lore”.

I have to admit I did get a kick out of it, with all being equally harsh, if not overly simplified. However, I could see how some would be put off by this, especially new players. I got in during gold edition so I've heard all the stereotypes. I personally see positives in all the clans, and would hope to never judge a player by what clan they liked. 

Curiously it has been more interesting seeing the reactions of the different media types. Facebook seems generally amused and getting in the spirit of the thing whereas here it seems to have been treated more like a bucket of cold sick. Horses for courses I suppose.

I will just avoid posting cross links to the blog here as there is obviously little interest. (Shigure excepted) something the blog visit stats seem to show.

As an aside the genesis of this was the old 'How to become a Shogun' (if anyone remembers that). That poster used to post up (admittedly much more humorous but perhaps much more insulting and concerning clan strength) 'state of the clans' where he would list where the clans were, what they thought they were doing and I why they absolutely weren't. 

C'est la vie

There's a lot more negativity on the forums than anywhere else ^^

People come here to complain and they don't want your funny posts. This is a grumpy place, not an entertainment park. 

Myself, I liked your post a lot. 😎

I think that this kind of sarcastic humor that doesn't go all the way works well in a youtube video where it is backed up by visual and audio cues, but the tame nature of the jokes makes the wall of text kind of boring.

Yeah, I stopped reading about half-way through the Crane entry then skimmed down to the bottom, mostly to check how long it was, and looked over the Mantis and Spider because they were super-short.

It strikes me that you don't know enough, at least of the four clans I looked over, to either present them in a either a fully rounded manner nor to be clever or insightful about the "humor".

Just for an example of the Crab entry, it seems like the one thing you know about them are that they are "big" in size.
Are Hiruma scouts known for being big? What about the Kuni shugenja? How about the Kaiu engineers? Or the Yasuki courtiers?

Yes, the Hida family is known for being big and some of that Hida blood has certainly made its was into the other Crab families, but probably the most unifying trait rather than size would be being rough, dirty and a bit lax in social graces. And certainly the note about them being dumb really doesn't apply to more than half the families, so the idea that they took growth hormones that make their brains shrink? Totally off-base and just kind of indicates you don't get what they are about at all.

That doesn't mean you couldn't do a humorous interpretation of them, but such an interpretation ought to revolve around how they are unbathed, have third-hand clothes and armor, and are kind of the wild west of the Rokugan clans, complete with slick snake-oil salesmen, mad doctors using brutal and suspect healing techniques, and led by the biggest, strongest, drunkest guys in the region.

Also, you used Magic: The Gathering to describe how the Crab work and then for the Crane brought in a pretty obscure reference from WarHammer 40K-- so that's neither consistent nor helpful. If you used only M:tG colors/color combos to explain how the clans mechanically worked OR you decided to compare each clan to a legion, house or guild in another fictional universe to indicate how they touch on similar themes and archetypes, either one would be good. But using one point of reference for one entry and then a totally unrelated point of reference for another means that in order for a reader to understand it, they would need to be more familiar with both of those points of reference than they were to L5R.

I applaud anyone who creates content for L5R.  the fanbase tends to take it very seriously and can be quite harsh critics.  That can be further aggravated by the plain fact that over the coarse of L5R's history the game and aspects of it have become different things to different people.  Reminds me of Star Wars fandom, except L5R fandom is further magnified in this respect considering we are actively encouraged to take ownership of the narrative by identifying with factions and steering the story when prompted.

21 hours ago, 987654321 said:

If Matrim has that profile pic, does that mean that FFG has published a game with John Kovalic art in it?

Cause then I would buy it. Just for the artwork.

It is a fun little card game called Mag Blast. The third edition used Kovalic artwork.

On 1/17/2019 at 7:33 AM, Tonbo Karasu said:

I think I have 1st Ed somewhere.  Wasn't it supposedly in the Twilight Imperium universe?

First two editions were, third edition used Kovalic art and removed the connection.