Sign in to follow this  
Marinealver

The Future of Armada (end of tournaments or 2nd edition)

So FFG has been going through some major changes as of recently. Their founder has retired, Asmodee is looking into being sold to another holding company. There has been a significant impact on FFG's gaming scene. Not to say that these are directly related to recent matters of FFG games but just that there is going to be some changes that will eventually affect all games include Armada. So as we know OrgPlay for Rune Wars has been discontinued. So that brings question as of what the future of Armada will be?

So that brings Armada into question, what will its future be? With X-wing there is a question that maybe a 2nd edition will be in the works, also the possibility of Clone Wars and Disney trilogy having ships for that game. However with the recent news it brings also another possibility for Armada, and that is the end of Armada tournaments. FFG might still release expansions but there will be no need to play test it for a competitive setting anymore.

So what is the future of Armada?

Edited by Marinealver

17 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

well I like space games and I can imagine things like being up is a launch site and sideways is a ship. But I was thinking of using short tree stacks sideways and if the pyramids are stable enough without falling apart. So far I can figure that double stacks are about the limit when it comes to sideways tree stack. The triple 3 tree stack also works (sort of) but all other triple stacks are too unstable to be placed on its side. So single stacks would be more of weapons (missiles torpedoes ect.) while double side stacks would be ships. Straight up pyramids and double stacks would be bases and such. So this is what I have for a rough comparison for side ways stacks.

Uuuuuhhhhh......

What?

Armada is still alive. They've almost certainly got one more wave in the works. They're probably also in the early stages of Clone Wars era expansions.

They're being quiet at the moment because the SSD is still being problematic, but once that is back on track we'll get at least one article on it (probably more), and then when it has cleared expect some more Wave announcements.

Just now, Ardaedhel said:

Uuuuuhhhhh......

What?

Just now, BrobaFett said:

yeah agree... that second paragraph was completely over my head. Can we get a translation for us not pyrimidically inclined?

Yeah I was multitasking a little here. I meant to put in the Youtube link but BGG was giving me a time out because of a bug that prevented me from posting so I had that saved to clipboard just in case the site tried to make me retype the whole thing all together. 

Funny thing though I did edit it immediately after the mistake yet the server kept the accidental paste up longer then it should have. Pardon me, I'm going to do a quick scan just to see if I picked up any keyloggers or something.

2 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

Armada is still alive. They've almost certainly got one more wave in the works. They're probably also in the early stages of Clone Wars era expansions.

They're being quiet at the moment because the SSD is still being problematic, but once that is back on track we'll get at least one article on it (probably more), and then when it has cleared expect some more Wave announcements.

Good guess. I dont mind issues and problems happening, they should be transparent about production issues, play testing issues, work/turnover issues with the community. 

All it takes is a "Hey we haven't forgotten about you X happened and we are sorry" is 100% better than not saying anything at all. 

4 hours ago, eliteone said:

Good guess. I dont mind issues and problems happening, they should be transparent about production issues, play testing issues, work/turnover issues with the community. 

All it takes is a "Hey we haven't forgotten about you X happened and we are sorry" is 100% better than not saying anything at all. 

They've said that on twitter actually.  Armada news simply isn't ready for release yet.   Stay tuned though.  

Good things are worth waiting for.   Even if that wait is lengthy.   

1 hour ago, Crabbok said:

They've said that on twitter actually.  Armada news simply isn't ready for release yet.   Stay tuned though.  

Good things are worth waiting for.   Even if that wait is lengthy.   

Obviously Crabbok has info he can't discuss. So that is a good sign. 

16 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

Obviously Crabbok has info he can't discuss. So that is a good sign. 

Not really.  I'm referencing their post on twitter that they haven't forgotten us, and for us to be patient.  I'm just reading between the lines here - They care, they HAVE info... and it's probably gonna be awhile, but it is coming - and we need to be patient.  

As for info - I'm working on GETTING some but I don't have any yet.  Still trying though!  But I need to take my own advice and  try to be patient. 

@CrabbokI appreciate that you are working to bring us something.  I'm not worried about armada but it would be nice to hear something.  It's disappointing that FFG hasn't said anything since August but the writing is not on the wall flowerr this great game.  I just went to the biggest regionals in New England. We have a growing community here and it's great.  Looking forward to more years for armada expansions and support.

The tournament environment is still pretty strong.  I've attended two Armada regionals this season, with respectable attendance at each.  I went to a single Runewars regional last summer with 5 total participants.  I've been to a casual Armada tournament at least once a month for pretty much the past year (minus the time I was overseas, during which four Armada tournaments in our local area occurred in the span of a month).  I've been to one Runewars casual tournament.  Casual Armada night has been very slightly better attended.

So while Runewars lost its organized play, and I suspect is unlikely to see additional units released in the game with a "pull the plug" announcement in about six months, Armada can go on for a while.  I think also noteworthy that the community is strong enough that even if they decide to make an announcement that they will not do 2.0 nor will they release any other units, the community is likely to go on playing the game competitively at the big events for a couple of years, albeit with some dwindling attendance.  And more importantly, we still see people who buy into the game completely and immediately brand new.  There's a ready-made community for them to join.

The community here is large, robust, travels well, and enjoys great camaraderie at the big events.

One thought that I have had, and one that reflects the very slightly dwindling attendance is that they were really slow to deal with a couple of broken things about the game through the FAQ/Errata.  So when we got to regionals this time last year, it really strongly felt like you had to buy into a specific style of list design if you were going to be competitive, and failing to do that would mean you wouldn't have the margin in match-ups with the strongest opponents.  I think that's the real question long-term is making sure there are prompt addresses to those kinds of problems.

On 1/12/2019 at 3:04 PM, Drasnighta said:

Better than topics like this portray, for sure.

Based on ... what ... exactly?

FFG and FFGOP have been radio silent about Armada for almost an entire year, save for one overly-proud hoisting of an SSD model into the air at the In-Flight report that took up all of about 45 seconds of the entire panel.  The SSD is still not released, and it's likely still a couple months away... at best.  It will be the most polarizing release for several reasons: (1) No Rebel content, (2) Imbalance in captain/officer choices between Reb/Imp players, (3) Encourages a new, even longer, even more casual format*, and (4) Introduces the 1-Ship "Super" Ship archetype into standard games.

*I've got no qualms against casual games, but in my five years playing FFG's Star Wars games, I have found that overwhelmingly people at casual game nights are mostly looking to test their competitive list for some future tournament... it's hard to find someone who wants to just cheese around with a totally throw-away game.  This was especially true for Epic X-Wing.  I am one of the biggest enthusiasts for Epic X-Wing out there, but it was very difficult to find players willing to play a game of it, since (1) it took more time, (2) meant setting up/breaking down more stuff, and (3) required playing in a non-standard format that didn't afford any list-testing for future events.  The "Larger Mode" of play that supports the SSD has all of these issues, as well.

Of course FFG will not end the discountinuation of Armada FFGOP support prior to their most costly (and thus risky) product release of all time.  That would be just terrible business sense.  Now...if they announced the discontinuation a few months after the SSD dropped... sure.

On the other hand, if through some implausible miracle Armada picks up steam again and somehow gets back to its roots and old release schedule, we'd still have to ask FFG why they treated the game like it was a dead or nonexistent product for so darn long... surely that did no favors to a community that has been withering in many (but not all) local gaming communities.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Armada continuing on. Slightly less optimistic about Imperial Assault unfortunately.

Regardless, the fact that threads like these exist for both those games should be a big concern to FFG. Its hard to get new players to buy into a game when there are constant rumors of its impending demise. Hopefully they will actually start communicating with their player base so that the rumors aren't so prevalent. 

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

It may not be in its death bed yet, but just looking at the lack of models available in shops in the SW of the UK, it's certainly not out of its sick bed. 

Is that because of lack of supply or the lack of desire for the stores to stock it?  The former is problematic the later can be dealt with but special ordering from stores (preferable as it is tangible interest shown to the store) or buy on-line.

What, rune wars dieded? I bought in big time when monsterpocalypse seemed to get a revival and then was ditched. There were spoilers for its "isd" too (next wave), never came out.

To be fair armada is reasonably priced so if it goes it goes. Hope it gets a 2.0

9 minutes ago, Xeletor said:

What, rune wars dieded? I bought in big time when monsterpocalypse seemed to get a revival and then was ditched. There were spoilers for its "isd" too (next wave), never came out.

To be fair armada is reasonably priced so if it goes it goes. Hope it gets a 2.0

Only it’s OP system

Not gonna lie, I've been pretty seriously considering selling my stuff. Game is mostly dead in the area, I have to drive 2 hours to get to the nearest store championship and 4 hours to the nearest regional. People that do play in this area can be pretty flaky and FFG doesn't inspire me with confidence. Better to sell the fleet now and make decent money than wait until the game is officially dead and people just vendor their stuff. 

I've been collecting both Rebs and Imperials from the beginning, and have never been able to play a game with anyone other than a buddy and my dad, so I figure I'll make sure I have at least one of everything that's out so far.  I have a four-year old right now, so even if the game dies, if I have everything it could see a rennaisance in 4-5 years when he is old enough for wargames.

Its not like the game will disappear from my closet, and the amount of variation you can put into the ships can go a long way with just two people playing for fun, even with what is currently available.