JJH_BATMAN

How can you use Lambda's?

I recently purchased a Lamda, but I haven't flown it because I don't know how to in 2.0. I knew how in 1.0 you used Lambda plus aces, but I don't know how well that will work in 2.0. I mainly want casual lists because I already have a tournament list. Thanks! 

Lt sai is a baller.

Add title and in total it will cost 53 points.

Sai can white coordinate a focus to your aces. In return Sai also gets a Focus and target lock. Thats some hot 3 for 1 action. 

2 other important considerations is collision detector and advanced sensors. Both can be important for getting that baller 3 for 1 action off. And make the **** dial more forgiving.

Edited by TBot

• Lambda itself got a huge buff in 2e.
    • The rear arc matters.  It's not amazing, but it contributes either damage or zone control.
    • Reinforce is good for some situations.
    • White Coordinate is amazing, and the biggest reason I run a Lambda.
      • Seriously.  Coordinate is so good.
  • There are two main roles for a Lambda.
    • Option A is to support 2 (maybe 3) aces.  Nearly any good ace plus any Lambda works.
      • Aces:
        • A standard Vader-crew Whisper plus another ace is going to be generally fine.
        • Supernatural Reflexes Vader is solid but expensive.
        • Probably Soontir Fel, depending on how points work out.  Is there space for a Soontir + Lambda + 2 cheap aces, like Strikers?
        • Personally, I'm a broken record for OGP with Palp plus two Delta Defenders.  Probably not a top-tables list, but surprisingly solid, and probably greater than the sum of it's parts.  Notable is the movement flexibility due everything being Initiative 1, so your coordinate can happen before or after the defender moves.
      • Lambdas:
        • Kagi is a meta-call, granting you some protection against target locks.  Really strong, if your opponent is relying on locks for their gameplan.
        • Sai is probably the best ace-support Lambda in general.  It's just a lot of dice mods, getting focus for herself as well as a friendly ship, and potentially also a target lock with ST-321.  That means Sai is both a support ship as well as a decent hitter.
        • Omicron is fine, it's just cheap.
        • Jendon helps your ships get lots of locks, but that won't matter on most ace-ships.  Phantoms and Interceptors don't have the lock action, so it'd be useless here.
        • For upgrades:
          • ST-321 gives "free" target locks when you coordinate (probably their best action).  Adding punch to a Lambda is good, and this is the best way.
          • Admiral Sloane is going to still be at least decent with aces.
          • Vader is great.  He'll deny opponents tokens, and he's got two firing arcs to work out of.
          • I think Emperor Palptaine is underrated but decent.
          • I have a sense that Advanced Sensors would be really good here, except on Sai (due to how her ability works).  Lambdas have a lot of red moves, and can easily wind up bumping, so being able to toss out those coordinates and other strong actions could be really handy.
    • Option B is to support a larger swarm.
      • Any Lambda with Admiral Sloane is solid with just about any sort of swarm.  I've seen folks run Strikers, but probably regular TIEs (Inferno Squadron?) or Interceptors would work fine.
      • Taking Colonel Jendon with a bunch of TIE Bombers or ordnance ships can be potent.
  • I don't know from multiple-Lambda lists, but they're probably wicked fun.  A shame there's only one OGP tile in each conversion kit.
  • Caveats:
    • While I've done decently with Emperor Palpatine myself, I'd be a lot less likely to try to bring him at the same time as anyone else force-using.  When you already have force charges, having a floating one from Palp matters a lot less.
    • Something like Ace + Lambda + Redline might not work out as well, since there'd only be one ace capable of closing out a game after the opening stages.  What's nice about a Lambda is that it can be a decent enough threat on it's own in the early game that it'll draw fire.  The downside is that if you've got just a shuttle left in the endgame, it's going to lose if there's time.  It'll just happen.  Having two ships which "just lose" if they're the only ones left in the late game probably isn't ideal.  Redline and Sai do something similar: they help spike early game damage and soak hits, making it easier for your aces to win in the end.  But having both means that if your opponent can get an early kill on Whisper, then you're probably screwed.
      • Something like Lambda/Soontir/Vader, or Lambda/Whisper/Echo is probably better than Lambda/Redline based lists.

A better player than me flew Chiraneau with Swarm Tactics plus Sai plus an Omicron to win (I think?) a small event today.

I'm flying Vader plus Sai plus Kagi tomorrow. I won't win the event, but I will have a lot of fun losing! The list is very durable, Sai hits like a truck, there will be Proton Torpedoes from several other players so Kagi will be better than an Omicron, and Vader is decent at dealing with all the I5 pilots around.

3 hours ago, TBot said:

Lt sai is a baller.

Add title and in total it will cost 53 points.

Sai can white coordinate a focus to your aces. In return Sai also gets a Focus and target lock. Thats some hot 3 for 1 action. 

2 other important considerations is collision detector and advanced sensors. Both can be important for getting that baller 3 for 1 action off. And make the **** dial more forgiving.

Advanced Sensors won't get you 3-for-1. You can coordinate and ST-321 to acquire a lock, but can't trigger Sai to get the Focus, because it's an action and Advanced Sensors only allows one action. So only 2-for-1 with Advanced Sensors.

2 minutes ago, Eisai said:

Advanced Sensors won't get you 3-for-1. You can coordinate and ST-321 to acquire a lock, but can't trigger Sai to get the Focus, because it's an action and Advanced Sensors only allows one action. So only 2-for-1 with Advanced Sensors.

True, but what I intend to do when using Advanced Sensors on both my shuttles: Sai reinforces with his action, then bumps; Kagi co-ordinates Sai, who then co-ordinates Vader a focus, netting Sai all 3 actions, but leaving Kagi without any. If Kagi is the target, then this changes of course!

Meanwhile, Vader can barrel roll from the focus action, if he needs to, or Lock, and bump into a safe location, saving me the points of Supernatural Reflexes.

47 minutes ago, Gilarius said:

True, but what I intend to do when using Advanced Sensors on both my shuttles: Sai reinforces with his action, then bumps; Kagi co-ordinates Sai, who then co-ordinates Vader a focus, netting Sai all 3 actions, but leaving Kagi without any. If Kagi is the target, then this changes of course!

Meanwhile, Vader can barrel roll from the focus action, if he needs to, or Lock, and bump into a safe location, saving me the points of Supernatural Reflexes.

Edit: never mind!

Edited by Maui.

5 hours ago, SoontirFel said:

Sloane looks really good, perhaps with a basic 5 +howl or 6 swarm? 

This is exactly what I won a tournament with this month. Throw Vader and Sloane on a lambda, with Howl and 4 Academies, it's a nasty list. People always go for the shuttle, and it just reinforces and Vaders stuff while the TIEs focus down targets. Solid list, highly recommend. 

Buy two more and fly a Lambda micro-swarm!

Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle - Omicron Group Pilot - 69
    Omicron Group Pilot - (43)
        Collision Detector (5)
        Heavy Laser Cannon (4)
        •Darth Vader (14)
        ISB Slicer (3)

Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle - Omicron Group Pilot - 58
    Omicron Group Pilot - (43)
        Collision Detector (5)
        Heavy Laser Cannon (4)
        ISB Slicer (3)
        •0-0-0 (3)

Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle - •Lieutenant Sai - 70
    •Lieutenant Sai - Death Squadron Veteran (47)
        Collision Detector (5)
        Heavy Laser Cannon (4)
        •Director Krennic (5)
        Freelance Slicer (3)
        •ST-321 (6)

Total: 197/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Also, Star Wings with the Os-1 loadout love flying with Colonel Jendon!

Edited by JJ48

My shuttles plus Vader list went 2-2 today. Two narrow defeats to 2 players who are better than me and 2 stonkingly big victories.

If I get enough practice, I might even manage to avoid flying a full health Sai off the board next time! Electronic Baffle would have saved him/her and I think I'll add that next time.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:12 PM, theBitterFig said:

Kagi is a meta-call, granting you some protection against target locks.  Really strong, if your opponent is relying on locks for their gameplan.

He also has the advantage of being I4, allowing you to chop and change activation and engagement order if you field Inferno Squad.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:12 PM, theBitterFig said:

Taking Colonel Jendon with a bunch of TIE Bombers or ordnance ships can be potent.

TIE Advanced love him too - getting their locks off on turn 1 so they can go into the fight with the focus token to use their high agility makes them so much better its untrue.

3 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

He also has the advantage of being I4, allowing you to chop and change activation and engagement order if you field Inferno Squad.

Coordinate works so well at same-initiative, maybe even better than at max initiative.

3 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

TIE Advanced love him too - getting their locks off on turn 1 so they can go into the fight with the focus token to use their high agility makes them so much better its untrue.

LOLAdvanced.

I mean, every word is true.  I just find TIE Advanced funny.  I hope they get a point reduction on the 28th, because they're kinda nifty ships.  I doubt they'd go down to 38, in order to get 4x Tempest + Jendon, but that'd be an interesting list.

5 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I doubt they'd go down to 38, in order to get 4x Tempest + Jendon, but that'd be an interesting list.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them drop to 40 - allowing 5 in a base squad, or (if the Storm Squadron Ace goes down a point) 3 Fire Control/Elusive Storm Squadron Aces and Jendon with ST-321.

I think that without Fire Control System, they're not a bad comparison to the other 40 point ships - a 3-dice attack with a special rule (in this case an automatic critical and the ability to gain a range 1 bonus) but which requires a target lock action every turn to get it, a decent but not insane dial, and enough agility & hit points to take 2-3 attacks to kill, even with torpedoes.

9 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Four Tempest + Howlrunner would be my first attempt, at 40 points per.  Rerolls give them punch on the approach while focused.

The problem is that without Fire Control, if you're not going to lock you're not just giving up rerolls on your attack dice (which I agree that Howlrunner handily makes up for), you're giving up your third attack die and your automatic hit-to-critical modifier. Acquiring a lock is critical to the TIE/x1 working as a ship.

9 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

The problem is that without Fire Control, if you're not going to lock you're not just giving up rerolls on your attack dice (which I agree that Howlrunner handily makes up for), you're giving up your third attack die and your automatic hit-to-critical modifier. Acquiring a lock is critical to the TIE/x1 working as a ship.

Imagine if they had given it a linked Focus-Lock.

15 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

The goal is to eventually get a lock.  Weak action efficiency to start spending them, but 2 dice + focus + reroll while you're too far away to get a lock doesn't seem too bad.  And if you have enough ships firing on a target, the locks get deleted on ship destruction.  And if you do get the range for a lock, you'll have Howlrunner rerolls to potentially keep the locks, much like FCS.

I'm also contrasting the list to 5 Tempest, rather than a Jendon list.

35 minutes ago, impspy said:

Imagine if they had given it a linked Focus-Lock.

I think one of the ideas of 2E was to reduce the amount of double mods happening, with a few slipping through (like Redline, Scum Han crew). Focus -> TL would be nice on them, but probably antithetical to the design idea.

Just now, kris40k said:

I think one of the ideas of 2E was to reduce the amount of double mods happening, with a few slipping through (like Redline, Scum Han crew). Focus -> TL would be nice on them, but probably antithetical to the design idea.

Fear of Vader being OP is probably the biggest problem (in retrospect) with how FFG designed the x1. It's so bad and so inefficient that, at the moment, no one should take it unless they want to fly Vader.