Hiemfire

2019 World Championships preview article up

Yay!

Two things though... One, unlikely I would ever secure an invite to worlds and two, even if I did I’m quite unsure I could afford a trip to worlds.

Still, I will enjoy watching those that attend from available streams sometime in Q4.

Dang it, I’m bored right now. The recent articles really haven’t generated much in the way of good discussions and there’s been a lack of other valid content. Is everyone waiting for Jan 28th to come like me?

On 1/12/2019 at 4:11 AM, thespaceinvader said:

Lol Armada doesn't even get to be at the Star Wars world champs.

Armada and IA are at Adepticon. As is Legion, except, for some reason the top 8 then have to come back and play the cut later in Roseville.

X-Wing apparently is just with Destiny and the card games, or something.

23 hours ago, Chumbalaya said:

Imagine being this mad. 

Honestly, I just love XWing. :)

It's my favorite game, by far. It really is!

Guess that's why I have bought so many ships, that I actually needed to buy two big glass display cabinets.

And now I am wondering, why a game mode, which ignores 90% of my fleet, should play any role in the tournament scene.

3 hours ago, Schu81 said:

Honestly, I just love XWing. :)

It's my favorite game, by far. It really is!

Guess that's why I have bought so many ships, that I actually needed to buy two big glass display cabinets.

And now I am wondering, why a game mode, which ignores 90% of my fleet, should play any role in the tournament scene.

Because the tournament scene is not all about just you. I'm in favor of Hyperspace because it puts everyone on a level playing field, veterans and newbies alike, for competitive play. By restricting the list of ships to only what has been released for 2.0 it means that the new player, which I've seen a few of in the local scene, doesn't have to resort to searching for ships that are unavailable through normal means if they want to play in tournaments. Do I have a large collection of ships? Yes I do. Does it bother me that I can't play a large percentage of them in a tournament? No it doesn't.

Edited by T70 Driver

Just now, T70 Driver said:

Because the tournament scene is not all about you. I'm in favor of Hyperspace because it puts everyone on a level playing field, veterans and Newbies alike, for competitive play. By restricting the list of ships to only what has been released for 2.0 it means that newer player, which I've seen a few in the local scene, don't have to resort to searching for ships that are unavailable through normal means.

Going to have to add the X-Wing and Rebel Y-Wing to the unavailable list here soon. They're selling out.

3 hours ago, T70 Driver said:

Because the tournament scene is not all about just you. I'm in favor of Hyperspace because it puts everyone on a level playing field, veterans and newbies alike, for competitive play. By restricting the list of ships to only what has been released for 2.0 it means that the new player, which I've seen a few of in the local scene, doesn't have to resort to searching for ships that are unavailable through normal means if they want to play in tournaments. Do I have a large collection of ships? Yes I do. Does it bother me that I can't play a large percentage of them in a tournament? No it doesn't.

2.0 ships are legal in extended. New players don't have to buy 1.0 ships to enter extended tournaments. 

If the ships released in 2.0 can't compete in extended, then FFG can lower their costs until they are competitive. Problem solved, no need to ban everything else. The 2.0 Scum faction ships are certainly not struggling to compete in extended.  

On 1/12/2019 at 9:52 AM, LagJanson said:

Is everyone waiting for Jan 28th to come like me?

Yeah, I'm hoping seeing new points will give me the motivation to play again.  Also, that when I do head back to X-Wing night, other players will show up.

14 hours ago, Schu81 said:

To make the game more about how you fly instead of which ships you fly?  

8 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Yeah, I'm hoping seeing new points will give me the motivation to play again.  Also, that when I do head back to X-Wing night, other players will show up.

To make the game more about how you fly instead of which ships you fly?   

So how about restricting the game to only one ship?

If everyone had to fly X-Wing Luke, then you could finally say, that it's more about how you fly instead of which ships you fly.

By your logic, that would be just perfect.

4 minutes ago, Schu81 said:

So how about restricting the game to only one ship?

If everyone had to fly X-Wing Luke, then you could finally say, that it's more about how you fly instead of which ships you fly.

By your logic, that would be just perfect.

Is there a tournament format for that?  Sounds intriguing!