Watcher2

How helpful is the starter set?

Hey folks,

I’m thinking of getting into this game. I can find some decks this weekend, but the Starter Sets appear to be high and dry. Some reviews I’ve read suggest they’re not really necessary and kind of a waste (or to be fair to the reviewer, an unnecessary luxury you don’t really need). I admit, I kind of like having props and game aids, especially since I’ll be teaching my wife to play (and she’s really smart but I’m more actively into gaming so I catch on a little quicker). BUT... if that means waiting months and months—I can just get some colored tokens or glass stones (or other accessories) at the local FLGS.

What do people think?

Bonus Question For The Helpful: What would I need to facilitate play for a couple people without the starter set? I haven’t snooped through all the rules yet, I’m just attracted by the idea and thought I’d give it a try.

Starter set is nice but it is just that, a luxury. Comes with two random decks and two precon decks plus all the tokens. If you're just looking for the tokens, glass beads or 3D printed chips can be just as reasonable. As long as you and your opponent know what each token represents, any item will suffice. 

As far as teaching people goes, just two decks and some tokens to represent everything is all you need. 

Edited by KroggandMohawk

I like the starter, it has everything you need to play. That said you are fine to replace the token set with custom tokens and keys and the game functions just fine. If you can find some decks buy them and give it a whirl. Also the rule book link is below if you'd like to thumb through it and get an idea of the token etc. you may need (see page 2 for details of what the start set token are so you know what to replace). https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/5b/96/5b96d1ce-11ee-43a6-be2a-b3e0a85a84b9/keyforge_rulebook_v7-good.pdf

So looking at the rules, some colored stones for aember, and borrow some damage tokens from another game. Then make three little cardboard disks (to represent keys) with 6 spots to put the aember... and make a version of that chain tracker chart.

It does take 6 aember to forge a key, but we have one side of the key grey (unforged) and the other colored to show it was forged for those tokens. Some people will just use an actual key to represent this. (no need to put the aember on the "keys"). You will also need "stun" counters. 

4 minutes ago, Greenknight08 said:

I like the starter, it has everything you need to play.

I know...right? Part of me would just as soon buy the starter set and feel like I have a complete game rather than one with some stuff I cobbled together. Kinda silly but true. It’s kinda frustrating for me to find something new, get interested in it, and you can’t buy it anywhere. Or some retailer on Amazon wants to double the normal price on you.

thanks for the explanation about the Key Disks and the stun counters!

I hear ya. It's super popular right now. You may have some luck at your FLGS and they can maybe tell you when they'll get more in. Keep an eye on the official Fantasy Flight Games website, Barnes and Noble and maybe someone like Cool Stuff Inc for restocks on the starter. I would not pay the crazy high prices for it. Heck worse case you could photo copy the tokens from the rule book and used those! The game is great and I hope you get to try it out.