Dusty27

How similar is this to Gloomhaven?

I have been waiting for a more concise Gloomhaven design in a smaller package with a more mainstream theme. 

I have never played Gloomhaven. Is this similar? Do you think it might be an evolution of the design?  Big map, small map, side quests... deck that you skill test out of. 

I am curious what everyone thinks...

The card based combat definitely has shades of gloomhaven.. but really there is only one gloomhaven lol.

I think it is definitely a more adventure based approach to a minis board game than their other titles like MOM, Descent, IA. Looks to be closer to Gloomhaven than anything else they've made yet, I see some tainted grail esque adventure things in there as well.

At first I was disappointed as I've always thought a LoTr version of IA would be so much fun.. but at the same time I'm excited to see something different. 

Sounds like they have used some of the ideas from gloomhaven to develop the Descent/IA model. I find this really exciting because FFG have a proven track record of success with these games and using some of the better ideas from gloomhaven seems like a smart way to go.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:44 PM, Dusty27 said:

I have been waiting for a more concise Gloomhaven design in a smaller package with a more mainstream theme. 

I have never played Gloomhaven. Is this similar? Do you think it might be an evolution of the design?  Big map, small map, side quests... deck that you skill test out of. 

I am curious what everyone thinks...

I hope this game is like Gloomhaven....that is the best board game i have ever played (or heard about).  I love LotR and hope they make this exciting :)

Yea it will lean heavy into the IP. I also like how Tolkien is more traditional fantasy.. because it basically IS traditional fantasy lol.

I'm a elf, orc, dwarf, human kind of guy, a meat and potatoes fantasy fan if you will. Tolkien is just right up my alley.

Plus the artwork is amazing.

The diceless nature is reminiscent of Gloomhaven, especially resolving tests by card draws. So far Mansions of Madness looks to be the biggest influencer, though as more info about the game is released, that could change.

I have been seeing quite a few people comparing it to Gloomhaven, what with it being an adventure co-op game in a fantasy setting. Although I think the biggest difference is the absence of the Legacy elements, which whenever I have been chatting with friends is the biggest turn-off about Gloomhaven (plus it's price). That may be a selling point for people who want to experience fresh campaigns multiple times. I am curious to see how content rich and deep it is, because it may prove to be a great alternative (plus Middle-Earth is my favorite fantasy world, bar none).

I haven't played any of the dungeon crawler co-operative games. I would like to get into one. I'm thinking either Gloomhaven or this one. Is Gloomhaven so amazing that as a gamer I'm going to regret not picking it up?