freakyg3

Bring back Challenge Coins and Plaques

I like having prizes I can use in game to show your experience: dice, rulers, templates, cards, etc. I have no issue with people using coins as shields either.

Plaques arent too exciting for me. Give me spot glass art anyday

I managed to win one challenge coin, and it's a treasured possession among my X-Wing swag.

My local store has a yearly tournament called the 'Alderaan Memorial', and I managed to win it the first year.  I got a small trophy and a medal for that.  The next year I brought my trophy along to compete, and kept my granola bars in it.  I called it my 'snack chalice'.  :)

Incidentally, I did very poorly in the second tourney.  My hubris was clearly my downfall.  :P

Yeah, I'm for the return of challenge coins and plaques. The coins in particular always interested me. Never used mine for shields, but I have used it as something to fiddle with to remind myself of a new trigger I was trying to get down.

22 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

So ... displaying trophies (even ego-maniacally) is bad sportsmanship, but actively misleading your opponent about your experience level is okay?  (If you weren't being serious, I apologize ... but there really aren't any clues pointing that way.)

not serious - I play very casual at all levels from nationals to store champs - if you forget a trigger or dial in the wrong maneuver - I will remind you or let u have a mulligan - If I am playing a noob - I will I will give them more than one - it's all about having fun - I don't want to win because someone dialed in a left but they meant a right.  I started playing this game because of the "fly casual" mantra

While I like challenges coins, you can't actually do anything with them.

Give me stuff I can use in game or with the game. Cards, dice, tokens, templates, a template tray, an alt-paint miniature, alt art damage deck, fancy card sleeves, a tournament tray, etc.

I love my sparkly dice. Only Fenn makes me feel bad that I don't have enough of them. Special dice are very cool. A pair of them would make for affordable(ish) prizing where you need to win a lot or trade to get a full set.

I like my plaque. It's not outlandish, but the TIE looks good on it. And I know in my heart my Kath won it for me.

I don't like my bright orange templates much at all. I'm retrofitting them for 2.0 because I'd rather test on them than my nicer third party templates. They win at being impossible to lose though! I'd love nicer official templates though. The current SOS ones are nice, but the theme doesn't do it for me. Boba would have worked nicely, or R2, or BB-8, or Poe.

With all my 1.0 alt arts being useless now, I've found that I've lost all interest in alt arts.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:00 PM, Jeff Wilder said:

I have Store Champ first-prizes lined up from 2014 to 2018, and man, are they of rapidly diminishing impact.

This is so very true for pretty much all of FFGOP's prize support.  The first Worlds and the first two Season Kits were a bit rough as FFG learned what this new-fangled "acrylic" material was all about, but then it got pretty great in 2013-2015, but after that the prizes really started just being increasingly underwhelming (both in terms of quality and quantity).  I never understood how, as the X-Wing Tourney scene got larger and larger and larger X-Wing kits contained less and less and less content.  You used to get like Top 16 prizes of a bag of 10x beautifully etched, thick Evade tokens.  Now, acrylic bags have lower quality stamped acrylic and contain like three tokens and require a higher placing... in a larger event...thanks FFGOP!

It also doesn't help that FFGOP was radically inconsistent with prize support.

Here's cool commemorative 2013 Regionals patches, you can commerate each Regional season with a sweet patch on your jacket!  And... we're done with patches, never again.

Here's over-sized cards, won't these be impressive if you make an over-sized squad?  And... after two cards (4 pilots) we're done with oversized cards.  How about movie still cards?  Wait, no, how about alternate art instead?  Wait, how about full bleed?  Or spot gloss?  Like, you could make the most ugly inconsistent squad of cards in the world using 1.0 prizes... but not really since they made like Luke, Han, Vader, and Boba in every wacky new style and only rarely sprinkled in a different pilot.

Here's gorgeous deck boxes with the printed season on them.  Oh, now we're done with deck boxes.   Who likes dice bags?  We got dice bags here!

Medals were neat ways to stamp the season onto the prize, but they quit doing medals.  Coins were fun for the same reason, while they lasted.  But I'd have rather have had all medals or all coins.

You hit the plaque issue on the head.  Beautiful stunning artwork. Beautiful stunning artwork.  Then plaques that looks like it given out each week to the 4th Grader with the best attendance...  Even the trophies changed style a few times and went from elegant and classy to gaudy stamped image, and the sizing and shaping of them has never been consistent across levels of events, which is odd.

Still, it all beats some lame "trophy" plastic card.  Oh, Store Champion 2019 plastic card of Cavern Zealot?  Quick, let me frame this and hang it in the game room... :D

Moral of the Story:
FFGOP really needs to be better supported by Asmodee, because it's a real crapshoot most of the time (to say nothing of poor communication of events, slow updates, late or missing prize support, etc.). 

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

4 hours ago, drjkel said:

I'm retrofitting them for 2.0 because I'd rather test on them than my nicer third party templates.

Applied Perspectives did a wonderful job on my Nats templates. PTL guys did a bulk shipment to save shipping fees and such. Wasn’t a bad price with a group lot.

We have 4 sets that needed to be converted in our house and lots of tools. The straights are all done and look nice, but I haven't found the time to figure out the easiest way to do the turns and banks.

Almost no one had special templates worth converting locally that I know of. It's a very casual meta (Nassim has some nice SOS ones now though). 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:05 PM, Koing907 said:

When I first got into X-Wing competitive, I thought "Those plaques look neat, I'd like to get good enough to win one of those".

When I finally won me first store championship... I got the gloss card.  🙁

yeah me too. I was bummed. I made 2nd the year before and just missed the plaque.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:04 PM, LagJanson said:

I snagged one in a one vs one dual of honour with another player not that long ago. These were cool. Haven’t quite managed to figure out what to do with it though 

You need to get a matching set so you can pin one to your ship peg, right below the mini, and use the other as its lock token.