freakyg3

Bring back Challenge Coins and Plaques

I would like FFG to bring back Challenge Coins and Plaques as prizes.  I will never win a big tournament but I might get lucky and win a small one.

Why do I want a plaque - the main reason is so I can put it on the wall and lord it over my friends same with the challenge coins.  There is nothing better than taking out your trophy and asking your friends to show you their trophy (especially if they don't have one).

I guess it is all about being a sore winner and being able to smack talk your friends.

PS - Would I be upset if someone used challenge coins as shields?  No - its just a game we play for fun.   

I agree, but I'm a big fan of the spot gloss cards as well, solely because you can use them to flex, yet not appear like you are flexing because it has an actual function. 

The best prizes are the ones that have actual uses beyond trophy because you get to have your prize and use it to. Same goes for Templates, although it would be nicer if they had the win parameters written on them (top 8, top 2, champion, etc.)

I agree, mostly: love the challenge coins, and I like the plaques as long as they are the artwork plaques, and not the blah plaques.  I have Store Champ first-prizes lined up from 2014 to 2018, and man, are they of rapidly diminishing impact.  I would love to have that Partisan X-Wing art on a plaque the way the B-wing and TIE fighter art was!

Kris, as for using challenge coins as shield tokens, how is that really any different than using metal shield tokens as shield tokens?  Or Regionals dice as dice?  I wouldn't do the coins-as-shields thing, but not because I'm offended by it -- I think it's pretty good-natured and funny, honestly -- but just because I don't want to carry all that extra weight.  (I've also sold or traded away all but one copy of each challenge coin, so I couldn't really do it now even if I wanted to.)

6 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Kris, as for using challenge coins as shield tokens, how is that really any different than using metal shield tokens as shield tokens?  Or Regionals dice as dice?

Because that is the items intended function of the tokens and dice, and not the intended function of a challenge coin. Using a stack of challenge coins is going out of your way to flex, and it makes for a poor image. The idea of it was taken to its absurd conclusion when some top player took a picture using trophies as tokens.

2 minutes ago, kris40k said:

Because that is the items intended function of the tokens and dice, and not the intended function of a challenge coin. Using a stack of challenge coins is going out of your way to flex, and it makes for a poor image. The idea of it was taken to its absurd conclusion when some top player took a picture using trophies as tokens.

Enh.  I honestly just don't see it as a big deal, at all.  I think there are much, much worse issues with sportsmanship in the stratified world of competitive X-Wing than that.  That's just a laugh, IMO.

54 minutes ago, kris40k said:

I don't agree with using coins and such to flex at the table, that is poor sportsmanship in my eyes, but I really want more challenge coins.

between friends its ok but I think people take it too seriously.  When I play competitively I try to use brand new cardboard and I usually tell my opponent I just started playing last week

4 minutes ago, freakyg3 said:

between friends its ok but I think people take it too seriously.  When I play competitively I try to use brand new cardboard and I usually tell my opponent I just started playing last week

So ... displaying trophies (even ego-maniacally) is bad sportsmanship, but actively misleading your opponent about your experience level is okay?  (If you weren't being serious, I apologize ... but there really aren't any clues pointing that way.)

26 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Enh.  I honestly just don't see it as a big deal, at all.  I think there are much, much worse issues with sportsmanship in the stratified world of competitive X-Wing than that.  That's just a laugh, IMO.

Oh yeah, I totally agree its not a big issue, at most it would illicit an eye-roll from me if someone did it at my table.

I just feel its gauche and douchey, much the lambo and books guy. I do have players at my FLGS that have Regional and System Open loot like templates, dice and such and those are all cool to see because they are meant to be played with at the table by the winners.

Just now, kris40k said:

I just feel its gauche and douchey

Ah, see, this I agree with.  I just don't think it rises to the level of unsportsmanlike, and I think most people that have done it have done it, ironically, because it's gauche and douchey.  I'm a big fan of snark and irony along those lines.  It's one of the many weaknesses in my character.

I'm in for the return of coins. Not for the mind games, but because I love the concept of the coins and I was really, REALLY, bad when they were being phased out. How many different coins were there anyway?

As to the mind games... I'm in on those too. I won some black unofficial dice a while back and they ride in my dice bag everywhere now. Yet to roll them in anger in even a casual match, due to the whole unofficial thing, but they are there and on the table.

I quite liked the Challenge Coins.  Big and hefty, and yes, you could use them as shields or as an alternative to the initiative token.

I'm enviously eying up the gold medal at the System Opens', but I know I don't have a cat in hells chance of getting one.

The Store Championships plaques were great as well, and the clear regionals trophies.  Elegant prizes, from a more civilised age.

1 hour ago, LagJanson said:

How many different coins were there anyway?

I'm not sure, exactly.  I now have five or six different official ones.  (I've collected about 14 of them or so.  One Store Champ season gave them out for Top Four, and I got several that season, so it's not as impressive as it sounds, believe me.)

Well, they're giving them out at the SOSes, so they might make a comeback.

Though personally, what I'd love to see return are the "unpopular, but useful" prizes, like cardboard boxes or coasters.

24 minutes ago, Elavion said:

Though personally, what I'd love to see return are the "unpopular, but useful" prizes, like cardboard boxes or coasters.

The cardboard boxes would be much more useful now that all of the game's cards are the right size.  I'm glad I kept -- read: was unable to get rid of -- the five of them I have.  I definitely wouldn't mind seeing them again, especially if they were double or triple the size.  With seven factions of art, they could be prizes in quite a few kits.

2 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Ah, see, this I agree with.  I just don't think it rises to the level of unsportsmanlike, and I think most people that have done it have done it, ironically, because it's gauche and douchey.  I'm a big fan of snark and irony along those lines.  It's one of the many weaknesses in my character.

Philosophically speaking, that's one **** of a slippery slope.

I mean, if you act gauche and douchey, but are just pretending to be gauche and douchey, aren't you adding more gauche and douchey to the world, thus making yourself just a little bit gauche and douchey?

12 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Philosophically speaking, that's one **** of a slippery slope.

I mean, if you act gauche and douchey, but are just pretending to be gauche and douchey, aren't you adding more gauche and douchey to the world, thus making yourself just a little bit gauche and douchey?

Absolutely.  The tightrope walk is what makes it worthwhile.

I'm not sure it can be justified, honestly, but I will say this: when I see or hear a stranger laugh at something, when he or she should be horrified (were it taken seriously), I'm about to meet someone worthwhile.

39 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Oh, then there's the medals from season 1 and 2.

I mean, who hasn't wanted to go to an X-Wing tournament in Imperial Officer uniform while wearing their GNK medals?

I snagged one in a one vs one dual of honour with another player not that long ago. These were cool. Haven’t quite managed to figure out what to do with it though