Alternauta

The 3rd Edition probably will not happen

Hey! Polish board game publisher Rebel has just announced that today that at 19:05 CET they will reveal a polish version of "a secret FFG project" that has been in development for a longer time. They also said it is some heavier game that comes with good license. This sounds to me like the 3rd edition of Descent :D We hadn't heard of Descent from a long time until... we recently got a new campaign for the app. Maybe that was only the beginning... I hope it's not yet another Star Wars game. Or as it is a licensed game it will be the Witcher descent-3rd-edition-like game instead of Descent setting. It would be logical then that a Polish publisher announces that before FFG.

Edited by Alternauta

Please let us know if you hear anything interesting. But I wouldn't get too hyped yet.

Judging from Asmodees past actions I'd also think a Star Wars Battle Royale Board game with physical loot box expansions could be possible :)

It's this. It seems to me like a mixture of LoTR, Descent, Runebound and Mansion of Madness. Therefore I think there will be no pure Descent 3rd Edition.  I highly doubt we will get new campaigns for app, too.

Edited by Alternauta

This looks like a mess.

Not a fan of the overworld map which is supposed to be a vast majority of the game itself. The combat maps are just boring square tiles with a few white division lines on them. The app shows them with walls and cool terrain but none of that is in the box. Looks like a dud. 

It looks like they are trying new things, which is good, but from what I saw I'm not entirely convinced the concept is fully developed.

To be honest, I'm glad this is not Terrinoth based. They can use this as a testing ground, iron out the rough edges and we might one day indeed get a great Descent 3rd edition.

Don't know if you caught it beneath the above LotR announcement but they ended Organized Play for Runewars Miniature Game yesterday as well (from The Land Endures article on the main page):

Unfortunately, the numbers simply do not allow us to continue the program, and we are ending it immediately. There will be no further Seasonal Kits nor Store Championships, and we will be in contact with 2018 World Champion Justin Hare and 2017 World Champion Ben Fox to work through the adjustment to their World Championship prizes.

That, I think, spells the beginning of the end, if not the end, for Runewars.

In respect to this,  I am not a RW player, but it does make me hope a lot of people played the recently released RtL: Embers of Dread.  Why?  Well, It could be seen as more emphasis returned to Descent (especially with the Runewars shake up), which would be wonderful -  Descent has to be their strongest fielded Runebound-now-Terrinoth IP asset over time.   Or, Embers of Dread is a market test.   I'm sure it's a bit of both.  But in respect to the later, again, I hope it and RtL in general saw a lot of play.   Looked at in one light, aside from direct sales of Descent product, RtL is an excellent marker from which to draw an understanding of current player interest.   That (i.e. player interest) and sales will decide the future of Descent 2e or 3.

Edited by Cotgrave

15 hours ago, DerDelphi said:

It looks like they are trying new things, which is good, but from what I saw I'm not entirely convinced the concept is fully developed.

To be honest, I'm glad this is not Terrinoth based. They can use this as a testing ground, iron out the rough edges and we might one day indeed get a great Descent 3rd edition.

Sure, I guess.

I just think it looks rather dull and just a mash up of two other games: Mansions of Madness and Fallout. 

As a Descent player here, there's nothing exciting about this new game from what i've seen so far. 

The 'Journeys In' bit of the title is certainly a concern, hinting at a Descent link development wise. Was this an evolution of Descent that became a LOTR game?

If so a few alarm bells if it's a crystal ball for Descent's future:

Fully coop, though some have said the overlord player role doesn't work others would probably be sad to see it go

Does it only work with the app? (I prefer apps to be an optional thing, also sometimes board games are an escape from tech!)

The tiles aren't inspiring me much at the moment, Descent's tiles have lots of story inspiring / scene setting detail, what we've seen here seems a bit dull and generic to me, the battle map/journey map concept and terrain piece aspect is interesting- it could make for some interesting custom campaign settings for Descent, but I still feel the detail on the D2e tiles seems superior from what we've seen so far. But that's not a lot so we may not have seen the most interesting things. The tiles and the choice could be better than implied overall.

However this may not be the route Descent tiles might take and it means it's not potentially too similar to Descent.

Might just give us some of the terrain we lack in D2e too or some new options for 2e!

To improve on the Descent tiles for me I'd want some generic outdoor landscapes and generic indoor spaces along with mostly the more detailed kind of tiles we have now with 2e with enough flexibility overall to make a very wide range of scenes, so perhaps an evolution of this plus the D1e and 2e tilesets, the battle / journey map split could be improved and be useful if it meant you could set an adventure in either a larger area or more focused setting as with the building tiles of D2e, would want to keep the feel of the D2e tiles as they are though. The Sea of Blood island/sea 'poster map' of 1e was a good idea for larger areas/ basic ground as you could put map tiles ON that - the limitations for map designs for adventures are still an issue with 2e but the tiles are well designed so some solution that adds some diversity would be good, this new game may solve that though- there may be some such tiles that could be used to make maps for D2e. But I certainly wouldn't want to swap the D2e tiles for these tiles from what I've seen thus far.

If it was a D3e I don't think I'd be in from these first impressions. But I might get this as its own thing after completing my Terrinoth kit. It looks like a promising game in the LOTR setting.

The minis and the cards look good and if they've ditched dice altogether for skill cards that could help a lot with gameplay and balance. It does sound like there's just the cards- this concept I like, especially as its more flavour and less fate. More deep lore than dice luck. Cards also offer more strategic control than dice.

So it could be a winner on the gameplay front.

BTW, 100$ for the new LotR game? You must be really fond of the LotR legacy or the game must be really super fantastic for such an investment!

Edited by tibia

19 hours ago, tibia said:

BTW, 100$ for the new LotR game? You must be really fond of the LotR legacy or the game must be really super fantastic for such an investment!

Converting it to £ it's around what I'd expect to pay for a new big box type core game in the UK (but likewise only if the game is good enough)

Can't speak for dollars as I don't know the US games market, but it feels sort of right for the UK market, although perhaps not if we have to pay a lot more than that due to the costs to the retailers over here of importing it etc.

It's worth noting it's solo to five player in the core box too though. To be honest I also don't think we've seen enough of it to properly judge it yet, it could be a really good game, but maybe isn't quite there yet if Descent's heading in the same direction (loses yet more good things from D2e - a mistake 2e made in some areas over 1e and if future Descent takes any inspiration from new mechanics and so on in this it needs to do so without destroying all that's great about Descent, to improve and enhance Descent rather than destroy it, unless of course this started out as the future of Descent which is now abandoned....)

Afterthought: or maybe it HAS killed Descent third edition and that could be a good thing.

Huh? some of you all say.

Well here's why: Second edition never caught up with first (and never kept the good bits of first ironing out the problems with them), missing characters/heroes etc.

So say we got a 3e Descent but likewise lots of missing stuff v 2e and it never caught up with 2e (some of 2e was never ported over who's to say a 3e wouldn't lose a lot of what we like in 2e)

Alternatively they stick with 2e. Finish 2e. Fix what needs fixing. Still make new stuff that's actually compatible with current stuff (2e, great new map tiles, yay, oh, you can't use them with 1e tiles..... etc etc....)

Maybe improvements and additions to and compatible with 2e would be better than a third edition (you could even improve 2e components etc with them still being compatible)

Improvement doesn't have to mean ditching everything- if you improve a house unless the whole thing's falling apart you don't tear it down and start again laying foundations...

A third edition's also a risk- what if player's DON'T move over- what then of the game's future?

Would have to be REALLY good and really keep the feel and quality of D2e to work and for people to spend money on (especially as some of us already have a lot of 1e and 2e at quite some cost)

May have some flaws but 2e Descent is actually really good as is, such issues aside, so maybe just carrying on making 2e is a good thing.

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
Afterthought

Just kinda taking a step back here, I get why everyone is upset, but I don't think that this necessarily means much about Descent at all.

It was an opportunity that, at first glance, might have been an exciting Terrinoth announcement.  Turns out it wasn't.  Doesn't mean that other announcement might not come sometime.

OH NO!

While the production of this new LoTR seems good to me, I am not at all interested in a boring full cooperative game.  Why could they not make it at least coop/competitive?

Anyways no point in speculating much but this is obviously covering grounds that belong to descent.. it may be that they will not release 3rd, and that is a sad thought

Uniting discussions around this, other recent developments and past discussions, FFG could actually do something really awesome with Terrinoth if they're brave and creative enough, and the things that DO work in the new game may inspire some of it, so maybe a bit of a Terrinoth hiatus could be a good thing, if they step back from it and really look at what they could do with the game world....

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/289043-the-land-endures/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-3595324

So come on FFG, make Terrinoth THE go to fantasy game setting :) *keeps hoping*