awesomeclaw

'Plain Format' rules?

Hi all,

Is there any chance we'll ever get a more plainly formatted rules document? The current rules reference PDF is difficult to view on mobile devices and difficult to print because of the use of background images. Since the document is a PDF, it's also hard to convert to other forms since decent PDF editors are somewhat rare and usually expensive.  A decently searchable and indexed rules web site would also be good: there are fan efforts like the wikia, but they're filled with ads, not well formatted for mobile, and frequently out of date.

We already have plain format tournament regulations, why not also rules?

I think it's unlikely in general as FFG hasn't released a "plain format" set of rules for any of their other games, let alone games that are still in the process of being "finished" rules wise like Legion.  You can certainly email in the question to put that on their radar as something customers want.

I also don't have much of a problem searching the PDF, even on my phone besides the text on the cards being picked up as possible results. 

10 minutes ago, Empire On Ice said:

A print friendly version of the rules would be very nice. Why it hasn't appeared already is very odd.

or a mobile friendly version if they don't want to do that.

an app with all their rules for all the games you play would be even better, but after the disaster of the x-wing app, I hesitate to even mention it.

6 minutes ago, OccasionallyCorrect said:

How is the xwing app a disaster?  I haven't used it.

Horrid UI.

Lots of bugs on release day (thankfully most of those are under control now). 

Loss of saved lists has been reported.

Its really easy to accidentally back out of your list in progress without saving too.

Those are the highlights at least.

2 hours ago, Empire On Ice said:

A print friendly version of the rules would be very nice. Why it hasn't appeared already is very odd.

Why is this odd? I think it would be odd (and welcome) if they HAD released a print friendly version.

As I posted previously, I am unaware of any other non-tournament FFG rules that are available in any other format than a PDF with background images.  My assumption is FFG posts up the same PDF they would send to the printers and have done the same for Legion despite the rules only existing digitally. 

Sending an email or notifying FFG in a more direct fashion than posting in a forum I doubt they monitor super closely unless something is reported would be a good first step to potentially getting a "mobile friendly," "text only," or some other format of the rules. 

For me (and I'm sure I'm in a minority) the way the rules exist as an updated RRD is a bit of a turn off for Legion. I stepped back from the game a while ago to focus on RPG stuff, but I find I'm not real excited about Legion anymore since a whole new RRD has come out since I last played and I feel I can expect at least one more before I bring it back to the table. I'm the kind of guy who really wants rules to be on paper so I can read them without any electronics. I don't mind printing it out, but having to keep printing a new one kinda pushes my buttons.   I'll likely just sit on it for a year or so while the rules stabilize before really diving in again. 

The changes are highlighted, it's not like you have to print or reread the whole thing every time there's an update.

A nd a "living rulebook" means you have one document with contains all the current rules for the game, instead of a rulebook, FAQ & Errata, addendum with new rules etc.

12 hours ago, Albertese said:

For me (and I'm sure I'm in a minority) the way the rules exist as an updated RRD is a bit of a turn off for Legion. I stepped back from the game a while ago to focus on RPG stuff, but I find I'm not real excited about Legion anymore since a whole new RRD has come out since I last played and I feel I can expect at least one more before I bring it back to the table. I'm the kind of guy who really wants rules to be on paper so I can read them without any electronics. I don't mind printing it out, but having to keep printing a new one kinda pushes my buttons.   I'll likely just sit on it for a year or so while the rules stabilize before really diving in again. 

Given that FFG are introducing new keywords or mechanics with almost every new unit, I doubt that the core rules will ever 'stabilize'.

I think Legion suffers from being the only game that has an 'all-in-one' rulebook (i.e., where practically all of the rules for the game and most unit abilities are described in the rule book, unlike e.g. X-Wing where pilot abilities are described on cards), and which is continuously updated (and so if you want a paper version you have to print it out constantly). X-Wing is a huge game that has years of supported content, yet the rule book is around 1/3 the size of Legion's. Legion is less than a year old and the rule book has already grown by 13 pages - around 25%.

3 minutes ago, costi said:

The changes are highlighted, it's not like you have to print or reread the whole thing every time there's an update.

A nd a "living rulebook" means you have one document with contains all the current rules for the game, instead of a rulebook, FAQ & Errata, addendum with new rules etc.

If you want a paper version with the updates then you do have to print out the whole thing every time. The updated parts take up extra space which pushes everything else around.

2 hours ago, GreatMazinkaiser said:

I'd settle for a rulebook with an appendix as opposed to the giant alphabetized (but otherwise randomly sorted) appendix we've got in the RRG.

It's not random - as you said, it's sorted alphabetically. If the first letter is the same, you sort by the second letter, than the third an so on, in ascending alphabetical order.

21 hours ago, Empire On Ice said:

Think about who we're talking about.... it's not that odd.

22 hours ago, Tirion said:

Think about who we're talking about.... it's not that odd.

I have no idea what you mean.

The rules are updated because FFG know what releases they have, but for some reason think it best to drip feed updates to the RRG.

The RRG could easily be formatted to be printer friendly, and I have access to a printer, and a lot of folks prefer a physical rule book rather than using a device. I do not like reading off a screen.

3 hours ago, Empire On Ice said:

The rules are updated because FFG know what releases they have, but for some reason think it best to drip feed updates to the RRG.

The RRG could easily be formatted to be printer friendly, and I have access to a printer, and a lot of folks prefer a physical rule book rather than using a device. I do not like reading off a screen.

Exactly but ffg dies not have a history of doing what makes sense

4 hours ago, Empire On Ice said:

The "drip feeding" is likely to avoid spoiling future releases and to only include rules that are pertinent to currently released units. 

When the game was first released, having the rules for Detonate, Pulling the Strings, etc, wouldn't have made a ton of sense as the units with those rules were not going to be released for quite some time, and might even have still been in play testing. 

Local players who prefer paper have taken the PDF to a local printshop to have it printed, even knowing they'd have to print new copies later as new editions were released.