msieder

Surprise Combos

This game still pops up interesting combos I had never thought of before until it happens in a play. Playing in the Crucible Online.  I had my Logos, Dis, Shadows deck. I played out the Batdrone, and threw Experimental Therapy on it. It immediately flew into my discard pile as destroyed.... wtf.... OHH  My opponent has King of the Crag on the board. Experimental Therapy made Batdrone an enemy Brobnar creature. And it immediately lost 2 power. lol   

I had a Kelifi Dragon and 2x Gauntlet of Commands in play + 2x Angers in hand.  My opponent had a board FULL of Elusive creatures and felt pretty safe...  but the KD has a fight effect to deal 5dmg to a creature and gain an aember.

1. Fight with KD, gain an aember and deal 5dmg to first elusive creature.  Take no damage in return.
  2. Gauntlet of Command
  3. Fight with KD, gain an aember and deal 5dmg to second elusive creature.  Take no damage in return.
  4. Gauntlet of Command
  5. Fight with KD, gain an aember and deal 5dmg to third elusive creature.  Take no damage in return.
  6. Anger, gain an aember.
  7. Fight with KD, gain an aember and deal 5dmg to fourth elusive creature.  Take no damage in return.
  8. Anger, gain an aember.
  9. Fight with KD, gain an aember and deal 5dmg to fifth elusive creature.  Take no damage in return.

The Kelifi Dragon fought 5 times in a row, killing 5 Elusive creatures and gaining me 7 aember in the process.  It was definitely a surprise for my opponent.

Edited by KrisWall

Yesterday I encountered the interaction between Ether Spider and Bait and Switch for the first time. My Ether Spider captured every amber that my opponent stole with Bait and Switch. I was at 8 amber, my opponent had two. Once Bait and Switch was resolved I had only 2 left. So, be careful when you play  with Ether Spider against Shadows - your loss might be even increased. (Eventually that cost me the game because I was one amber short after my next turn, couldn't forge the key the turn afterwards ...)

This happened last week with my Logos/Sanctum/Shadow deck.

• House Logos, play Harland Mindlock next to Shadow Self to gain control my opponent's Ember Imp.
  • Opponent grumbles on his turn because he can't do anything about the Ember Imp or the Harland Mindlock.
  • House Sanctum, play Terms of Redress twice, capturing 4 aember onto Ember Imp and gaining 2 bonus aember in the process.  Play Sergeant Zakiel to Ready and Fight with the Harland Mindlock, killing it and returning the Ember Imp to my opponent.  Fight with a second Sanctum creature to kill the Ember Imp, gaining the 4 aember it had captured from its own side earlier in the round.

Good times.  Really, the combo is just Harland Mindlock followed by a next turn Terms of Redress.

Edited by KrisWall

Last night a had an interesting series of events happen. I had a Soul Snatcher in play and my opponent had both an Autocannon and a Pingle Who Annoys in his deck. Luckily for me I had a Bad Penny in my hand and he had played his Autocannon. I was getting six aember a turn because of that! Good times. 

7 hours ago, Gaukli said:

Yesterday I encountered the interaction between Ether Spider and Bait and Switch for the first time. My Ether Spider captured every amber that my opponent stole with Bait and Switch. I was at 8 amber, my opponent had two. Once Bait and Switch was resolved I had only 2 left. So, be careful when you play  with Ether Spider against Shadows - your loss might be even increased. (Eventually that cost me the game because I was one amber short after my next turn, couldn't forge the key the turn afterwards ...)

Oh yeah. Bait n Switch is a brutal counter to that spider!!   

7 hours ago, KrisWall said:

This happened last week with my Logos/Sanctum/Shadow deck.

• House Logos, play Harland Mindlock next to Shadow Self to gain control my opponent's Ember Imp.
  • Opponent grumbles on his turn because he can't do anything about the Ember Imp or the Harland Mindlock.
  • House Sanctum, play Terms of Redress twice, capturing 4 aember onto Ember Imp and gaining 2 bonus aember in the process.  Play Sergeant Zakiel to Ready and Fight with the Harland Mindlock, killing it and returning the Ember Imp to my opponent.  Fight with a second Sanctum creature to kill the Ember Imp, gaining the 4 aember it had captured from its own side earlier in the round.

Good times.  Really, the combo is just Harland Mindlock followed by a next turn Terms of Redress.

****, that is slick ...   here is another one i hadnt thought of yet....   

6 hours ago, KroggandMohawk said:

Last night a had an interesting series of events happen. I had a Soul Snatcher in play and my opponent had both an Autocannon and a Pingle Who Annoys in his deck. Luckily for me I had a Bad Penny in my hand and he had played his Autocannon. I was getting six aember a turn because of that! Good times. 

Yes, I have played a live event with my opponent having this combo.... very annoying  

Not quite as creative, but last night I played my Master of 2 and 4 dust imps on one turn. The next turn I reaped with all 5 and then killed a dust imp (7 aember total). The following turn I reaped with the remaining 4 and then killed a dust imp (6 aember), etc.  My opponent couldn't get rid of my Master of 2 before the 3rd turn finished, so I got a total of 18 aember, and still had a dust imp left.  It would have been even more effective with some kind of protection (Shadow Self, Taunt creature, healer, or some such).  It was fun!

Edit: I just looked it up, and I have the only deck with this many dust imps and Master of 2 (Dangercauldron, the Crook of Cheethas). Cool.

Edited by MediatorJ
interesting factoid...

the one thing Dextre is actually good for ... Library Access.

If you have Dextre on the board and LA in hand, attack with Dextre to kill him.  He will go back to the top of your deck and be a guaranteed Logos card to draw/play to help keep that LA engine going.

On 1/11/2019 at 1:17 AM, KrisWall said:

I had a Kelifi Dragon .....

Could you have fought and killed 2 elusive creatures by just attacking them twice and using the 5 damage on 5 other creatures to have killed 7?

3 hours ago, Amanal said:

Could you have fought and killed 2 elusive creatures by just attacking them twice and using the 5 damage on 5 other creatures to have killed 7?

Sure, but you get hit by the two creatures you actually fought twice. This way, it's using the Elusive trait against the creature by never giving them a chance to damage your dragon.

47 minutes ago, Rabbitball said:

Sure, but you get hit by the two creatures you actually fought twice. This way, it's using the Elusive trait against the creature by never giving them a chance to damage your dragon.

Pick on the two lowest power creatures, is your dragon really going to be scared of taking 2-4 damage to kill 7?

1 minute ago, Amanal said:

Pick on the two lowest power creatures, is your dragon really going to be scared of taking 2-4 damage to kill 7?

I won't care, but I would bet the opponent only had 5 elusive creatures. It's hard enough to pull that many in a deck, much less 7. 

9 hours ago, Rabbitball said:

I won't care, but I would bet the opponent only had 5 elusive creatures. It's hard enough to pull that many in a deck, much less 7. 

Yup...  he only had 5.  Kelifi could have killed more, but would have taken damage in return.  Ideally, zero damage is better than damage. :)

Invasion Portal, activating it to get a Mars creature, but really to fill your discard pile with lots of creatures. Use cards like Arise! and Troop Call to get all those discarded creatures back into your hand. In M:TG, we call that 'The Hermit Druid'.

Edited by Whiz Canmaj

On 2/5/2019 at 9:21 PM, noxeor said:

the one thing Dextre is actually good for ... Library Access.

If you have Dextre on the board and LA in hand, attack with Dextre to kill him.  He will go back to the top of your deck and be a guaranteed Logos card to draw/play to help keep that LA engine going.

Meh, it's still the same drawing, you are just drawing the same card. The only difference is if you want to destroy an enemy creature or guarantee a capture instead of reap.

Edited by Synnaq
typo