0beron

New Digital Expansion

I hope I'm not offending anyone by writing about Nomad's digital version of Talisman.  I just saw on social media that a unique expansion, The Realm of Souls, is in beta testing.

This is quite far out of course.  Makes me wonder if there will be more and what form they may take.

Before the Digital version I often tried to imagine what kind of expansions I would make or be interested in. I liked ideas that favored continuity between expansions and also connectivity.  I always thought there should be more ways to have trap doors, secret passages and 'expanded' views of The Castle, The Hidden Valley, or other spaces on the board.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:21 PM, 0beron said:

This is quite far out of course.  Makes me wonder if there will be more and what form they may take.

Before the Digital version I often tried to imagine what kind of expansions I would make or be interested in. I liked ideas that favored continuity between expansions and also connectivity.  I always thought there should be more ways to have trap doors, secret passages and 'expanded' views of The Castle, The Hidden Valley, or other spaces on the board.

From a brief conversation I had with one of the guys at Nomad, additional Talisman products are contingent how well Realm of Souls does. It won't be part of the season pass (which only covers the Fantasy Flight expansions), so you'll have to buy it separately.

I'll definitely be putting in my bag of gold when the time comes. I've played a couple games with the new expansion thanks to the beta and it fills an important gap the game has long had. Namely, it gives you a second chance to get back in the game if you're killed rather than needing to start over from scratch. 

For sure, I am fortunate and interested enough to place an order, nearly any order for a future expansion in Digital.

I remember some ideas I had to fill in the gaps, as you say and wonder what they could explore - like I said, I have/had ideas.

Would you say or be able to say that this Souls Realm involves its own board, conveniently located between the Highlands and the Woodlands boards?

4 hours ago, 0beron said:

Would you say or be able to say that this Souls Realm involves its own board, conveniently located between the Highlands and the Woodlands boards?

There are no new board spaces in this this expansion, but there is a new status effect that alters how you interact with all existing board spaces. While you're a ghost, you draw from the new Veil deck - a special batch of adventure cards from beyond the grave. My favorite is the Mist Walker, a wish-granting Stranger that moves between the world of the living and the world of the dead.

Are you able to do 'other' things with other spirit or ghosts etc?   Wouldn't it be cool if you could take on ghosts as your followers or something like that?

While the items you collected as a living character tend to get left behind when you die, most of the Objects and Followers you collect as a ghost continue to haunt you even after you're resurrected. Some are purely beneficial, like the Dancing Swords, but several are also cursed items that just want to drag you down to oblivion.

I've enjoyed Realm of Souls, with some caveats.

I sorta feel it is arbitrary to be a ghost, but if you lose any other life - kaput - that is all for ever.  Sort of defeats the purpose of having ghost characters.

I also feel that there should be ways, occasionally at least, that Ghosts can interact with characters or board spaces, cards, etc.  After all, the various Ghost enemies can attack or interact.

Ancient Beasts.  Also enjoying but still - even after weeks - have not got a handle on various things.  I can't seem to find any reference to guidebook or something with better descriptions of the game process and also those various awards or badges you can get for slaying a beast.

I sort of feel that some things we already have - spells, mostly, but maybe some other things, should be able to have more impact with Beasts.  I know weapons can be used in battle, but I'm not sure what else can.

At any rate I do enjoy both Beasts and Souls expansions.

Have you figured on how crafting works, or do you still have questions? I don't know if there's a rulebook available.

EDIT: The Talisman facebook page just linked to this guide, which should have all the info you need.

Edited by Reedstilt