Tabris2k

Masters of the Court - Crane Clan Pack

Posted (edited)

It’s just my imagination, or Honor Victory through dueling is making its comeback to L5R?

And Daidoji Uji, at last.

I like Makoto, if only for the stats. Also, because she’s drunk. 

Edited by Tabris2k

11 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

It’s just my imagination, or Honor Victory through dueling is making its comeback to L5R?

And Daidoji Uji, at last.

I like Makoto, if only for the stats. Also, because she’s drunk. 

Well, she did sound like she was in desperate need of a drink back in Service and Sacrifice.

1 minute ago, Kakita Shiro said:

I forgot she was in there!

Yeah, she's the one that Ujiaki tries to talk into doing something, but she turns him down, IIRC.  Pretty sure it was because she was honourable and she considered him not.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Yeah, she's the one that Ujiaki tries to talk into doing something, but she turns him down, IIRC.  Pretty sure it was because she was honourable and she considered him not.

Yup, her husband was a Crane married into the Lion, but broke the marriage to go to the Lion-Crane war. No wonder she seems so bitter. 

But where here to discuss cards, no lore! And certainly not Lion lore in the Crane thread!

The new stronghold seems like will benefit a lot from the CotE big box, no wonder they wanted to get the pack out after it. 

Edited by Tabris2k

My overall take - I dislike how the Crane Clan "over-meta" seems to be counter-interactivity, but at least it is on brand. The goal of the Crane Clan play is to make it so their opponent cannot play the game. Not exactly my favorite approach, but at least it is weak to the Scorpion Clan's style of play.

My take on the cards:

Kyuden Kakita - No surprises here, and not sure how good it is going to be. It's no City of the Open Hand, Shiro Shinjo, or even Hisu Mori Toride. It is a limited boost which requires other cards to set it up. Unless there is a card coming which lets the Crane Clan dishonor themselves to win a duel, I don't see this being more useful than their Core box.

Kakita Yuri - Okay, HERE is what I was expecting from a Crane box. Being able to choose my champion against this ability keeps it from being incredibly abusable, but it will still shut down both types of HMT, and guarantee no one shows up to fight him when you are First Player.

Distinguished Dojo - This is the card I was hoping to see. With their Challenger coming in CotE, along with other cards, this has the potential to hit 3 tokens very easily in a single turn. Having two of these show up on the same turn can get you 6 honor fast. This might be what the Crane need to finally start pressuring the Honor victory condition, when combined with Kyuden Kakita for the extra +1 Honor each turn.

Asahina Takemori - Good. Not game breakingly good, but good. Cards like this will guarantee that Favorable Ground remains a 2x or 3x in most decks, along with the power of movement effects. Definitely hits Dragon the hardest, as he can keep Raitsugu and the Investigator safely at home.

Political Sanctions - And we have ANOTHER Dragon-killer. Fortunately, this is an attachment, but between Cloud, Sanctions, and Kirei-ko, I expect the Scorpion and Crane are going to have enough answers for the powerhouse abilities being packed by Dragon, Unicorn, and the others. This card also increases the value of Let Go and Hand to Hand.

Akodo Makoto - A blank unique 4 Mil / 1 Pol / 1 Glory for 3 fate out of Lion?! That's amazing! Oh, wait, there's an ability on it? Oh. Yeah, I guess there is? Uhhhh. Sure. An ability that will never trigger, but even if it does? It triggers before the Void Ring, so that limits its use. If she sees play, it'll be because of her stats, and not that ability.

Also, my local game store owner will be happy to see his boy, Daidoji Uji, back in action.

Posted (edited)

I like Political Sanction but I feel it's one those cards that would see play "because of X, Y and Z", mostly that it's contentious in the mirror and Scorpion. It also doesn't stop Kisada, Guest of Honour or Isawa Takeda.

Edited by Hordeoverseer

On the lore side, Akodo Makoto has been misspelled, she should be Akodo Matoko, portraying the character already described in the fiction "Service and Sacrifice". Matoko is also an existing character on old canon and CCG, a Lion samurai-ko who severed her ties with her Crane husband due to the conflict between both clans.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sndwurks said:

My take on the cards:

Kyuden Kakita - No surprises here, and not sure how good it is going to be. It's no City of the Open Hand, Shiro Shinjo, or even Hisu Mori Toride. It is a limited boost which requires other cards to set it up. Unless there is a card coming which lets the Crane Clan dishonor themselves to win a duel, I don't see this being more useful than their Core box.

It’ll be good just for bringing 1 more honor per turn. Between this, the honoring the Crane has, Distinguished Dojo (probably with Rebuild), some duels to win honor, the Crane has just to stop their opponents from breaking provinces and they can win by honor.

I know, I know, stopping the province breaking is not so easy... unless Crane have a way to cancel cards, actions, declaring conflicts, assigning characters to attack, bow characters... oh, wait. They do. 

I think Crane might have a shot at winning the game defensively. Suck it, Crab. 

Edited by Tabris2k

Posted (edited)

Phoenix have a mystical beast and scorpion a institution. Probably we will have Kakita Toshimoko who is a institutional mystical beast 😂.

1 hour ago, Jakkan said:

A Crane fighting with two katanas?? SHAME! 

At least he is not with gaijin weaponry

Edited by Daigotsu Arashi

6 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

"Yuri" sounds like an odd name for for a male Crane.  Is this setting pseudo-Japanese or pseudo-Slavic?

He goes right back to the very first packs, IIRC, so is more likely to have a not-entirely-convincingly-Asian name than newer characters.

39 minutes ago, Daigotsu Arashi said:

Phoenix have a mystical beast and scorpion a institution. Probably we will have Kakita Toshimoko who is a institutional mystical beast 😂.

I still think that Toshimoko is the 4-coster in Children.  That would make Uji the 5-coster in Masters (card 11), and Kuwanan a 4-coster, (Card 10).  As for the 6-cost, what would you say to a sea spider?

<sorry for double-post.  Editing in a quote is not something I can manage

4 hours ago, JJ48 said:

"Yuri" sounds like an odd name for for a male Crane.  Is this setting pseudo-Japanese or pseudo-Slavic?

You have discovered literally the entire joke behind the title of Yuri on Ice so...

8 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Yuri is a Japanese word.  It can also be a name, but usually female.  It’s probably just a case of random name generating gone awry, and they didn’t make the obvious connection to the fact that to English speakers it looks and pronounces like Russian not Japanese.

I am just praying Uji has a useable ability. Probably something military and devious. Would prefer 4 but 5 is okay.

Hmm FFG if you want to allow me to spoil him on my blog I will be happy to do so (as I think I have begged repeatedly)

The SH and Daimyo look pretty strong. Distinguished Dojo could be strong, but needs the support of two themes and Yuri and Sanction both seem pretty situational. Makoto is solid and synergieses well with WotL and the spoilered attachment from CotE.

Amidst the honorable samurai of the Emerald Empire, none stand quite as virtuously as those of the Crane Clan. It is by the grace and excellence of the Left Hand of the Emperor that peace is maintained, for their mastery of law and diplomacy is unparalleled. The descendants of Lady Doji helped codify the laws that govern life in the Empire, simultaneously defining the social order and modeling it with elegance.

The writer of this article doesn't read the fiction.

8 hours ago, Matrim said:

I am just praying Uji has a useable ability. Probably something military and devious. Would prefer 4 but 5 is okay.

Hmm FFG if you want to allow me to spoil him on my blog I will be happy to do so (as I think I have begged repeatedly)

I'll be surprised if he doesn't have Covert. Maybe Bushi, Shinobi, Daimyo for traits. 

Edited by Soshi Saibankan