Clutterbuck

Mynock Squadron 152 Feedback

Preface: Do what you want, man (I also can parrot the Krayts)

Second preface: I don't have a dog in this fight.  I more or less don't care about formats - the game is fun.

That being said, the open mocking of folks who hold a differing opinion about Hyperspace/Extended in the latest episode was a real turn off, as was Ryan's repeating of at least one Krayt-ism.  For what it is worth, I made it about 21 minutes in and decided I had enough.    

Make your case, pro's for your position, con's of the other side, and leave it alone.  You don't need to mock others.  It actually weakens your position in the eyes of rational thinkers (and if your goal is to shame people into obedience, then I don't know what to tell you, but yuck).

This is coming from a position of "I love the podcast," and you guys can do better than this - you can be better than this.

If the episode got better at some point, please let me know how far to fast forward.  

Thanks - and honestly, keep up the good stuff.  I appreciate it.  

11 minutes ago, Clutterbuck said:

If the episode got better at some point, please let me know how far to fast forward.  

Thanks - and honestly, keep up the good stuff.  I appreciate it.  

The episode was really good giving another perspective on Poe from Kevin Leintz. It's definitely worth finishing. 

24 minutes ago, Clutterbuck said:

You don't need to mock others.

At some point the irrational arguments against Hyperspace deserve nothing but mockery. I fully support their mockery because all the points were made and yet the whining keeps on. And I say that as someone enjoying extended more for ship choices, and doing better in extended. It is not even a question anymore that Hyperspace was necessary and better. The shared agreement between almost all 'big names' could make people think that they might be correct. Or you can reach that conclusion on your own.

Besides, it was one of the best episodes in quite some time, truly outstanding.

55 minutes ago, RStan said:

The episode was really good giving another perspective on Poe from Kevin Leintz. It's definitely worth finishing. 

They’ve convinced me: Poe is the best pilot in the game. Obviously he needs to go up by 10-20 points.

This was my favorite episode in quite some time. Love me some Awing talk. Kevin was a great guest. There was some very inteligent, thought provacative ideas that made me rethink my list building. I listened attentively and was eager to hear each segment and was sad when it was all over.

I really hope that one sad SJW snowflake doesnt cause you guys to filter your podcast. You made a funny joke about people crying that they cant fly all their spaceships at a specific event. I was laughing quite hard at your voices :). It was an innocent joke. 

Thanks for your content and keep up the great work.

Posted (edited)

Ryan and Dee being ***** at the early part of the episode was unnecessary and a turn-off, but the Poe analysis later was good.

Edit: Neither side needs mockery. WTF, is everyone 12? If someone says something you don't agree with, make your point and move on like adults. You don't need to agree or to have your opinion validated by the other party.

The community needs less ***** talking **** to each other, not more.

Edited by kris40k

41 minutes ago, TBot said:

This was my favorite episode in quite some time. Love me some Awing talk. Kevin was a great guest. There was some very inteligent, thought provacative ideas that made me rethink my list building. I listened attentively and was eager to hear each segment and was sad when it was all over.

I really hope that one sad SJW snowflake doesnt cause you guys to filter your podcast. You made a funny joke about people crying that they cant fly all their spaceships at a specific event. I was laughing quite hard at your voices :). It was an innocent joke. 

Thanks for your content and keep up the great work.

When someone uses the terms "SJW" or "snowflake" unironically.

Image result for disappointed gif snape

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SOTL said:

Yeah, we are long past the point of treating the anti-Hyperspace brigade with anything but mockery.  It's so clearly vital and so clearly good, and it's not like we've not been trying to warn you for like 6 months that this was coming.

As long as Hyperspace fanatics can take a little mockery too.

As to the Mynock podcast, I listen to podcasts once in a blue moon. I find most pad out their content far too much for my tastes. 

Edited by Koing907

12 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

They will when it also devolves into "unfun combowing." Which shouldn't take that much longer.

Until then, hanging onto the shreds of hope that it won't go the same way as 1.0 or extended takes a lot self reinforcement. It's a valid coping mechanism. Just like when I keep telling myself my sons' interest in the game will come back. Someday. Maybe. When they get older? (I miss being able to get random games in all the time).

3 minutes ago, drjkel said:

They will when it also devolves into "unfun combowing." Which shouldn't take that much longer.

I've got a couple of Hyperspace events coming in April. I expect the meta to be solved by then. I resigned myself to 2.0 being the same as 1.0 regarding the meta. You can't fight hundreds of players grinding every fraction of a percentage point for advantage.

47 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

As to the Mynock podcast, I listen to podcasts once in a blue moon. I find most pad out their content far too much for my tastes. 

31 minutes ago, drjkel said:

Until then, hanging onto the shreds of hope that it won't go the same way as 1.0 or extended takes a lot self reinforcement. It's a valid coping mechanism. Just like when I keep telling myself my sons' interest in the game will come back. Someday. Maybe. When they get older? (I miss being able to get random games in all the time).

Hyperspace will be deserving of mockery if points rebalancing is light enough to leave Boba/Fenn effectively intact.  It's a tremendously strong list in Extended, and so it's even stronger in Hyperspace with the substantial lack of other strong things.  Everyone who says Hyperspace will be more balanced is essentially hanging their argument on Boba being appropriately balanced, which I'm not very sure I'd be willing to do prior to published points changes.

7 minutes ago, Nohwear said:

Sadly most competitive scenes have those people who try to game the system for an auto win button.

I think that's and over-simplification.  A list with an advantage over other lists is going to naturally rise to the top of the meta. People may not even be spread-sheeting every nuance of their list. More like "Hey, Redline is pretty good", and if Redline is consistently good, it makes it into more and more lists.

2 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

I think that's and over-simplification.  A list with an advantage over other lists is going to naturally rise to the top of the meta. People may not even be spread-sheeting every nuance of their list. More like "Hey, Redline is pretty good", and if Redline is consistently good, it makes it into more and more lists.

I am not willing to hang my hat on that being wrong, but I will point out that I am looking at many different games, such as competitive 40k.  While I feel that there is potential for an interesting debate on net listing and trying to buy your way to victory, I am not sure if it would be appropriate here.  No really, I am jut not sure.

41 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

I've got a couple of Hyperspace events coming in April. I expect the meta to be solved by then. I resigned myself to 2.0 being the same as 1.0 regarding the meta. You can't fight hundreds of players grinding every fraction of a percentage point for advantage.

I doubt it, two new factions will be brand new in the game!  Should be a Wild West meta.

11 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Hyperspace will be deserving of mockery if points rebalancing is light enough to leave Boba/Fenn effectively intact.  It's a tremendously strong list in Extended, and so it's even stronger in Hyperspace with the substantial lack of other strong things.  Everyone who says Hyperspace will be more balanced is essentially hanging their argument on Boba being appropriately balanced, which I'm not very sure I'd be willing to do prior to published points changes.

I don't think Boba/Fenn can cut it in Hyperspace.  It's different.

Have you considered feeding back to the Mynocks in a more direct and private way? Rather than putting this out there on a very public forum. 

For what it’s worth, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I listen to the Mynocks every week for their analysis but just as much because I like their podcast personas. I didn’t perceive what was said in the way you are describing at all.

Of course, if you were offended fortunately no one is forcing you to listen! 

54 minutes ago, SOTL said:

I don't think Boba/Fenn can cut it in Hyperspace.  It's different.

For what you say to be true, it seems as though there are lists in Hyperspace that are not good enough to hang in Extended (being countered by popular Extended stuff) , but better have a real advantage vs Boba/Fenn.  And there must be more than one squad like this.  It's not impossible, certainly, but it's a statement that merits some further elaboration.

10 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

For what you say to be true, it seems as though there are lists in Hyperspace that are not good enough to hang in Extended (being countered by popular Extended stuff) , but better have a real advantage vs Boba/Fenn.  And there must be more than one squad like this.  It's not impossible, certainly, but it's a statement that merits some further elaboration.

It's not about 'good enough to hang' it's about how the metagame rebalances around completely different things when you remove a ton of stuff.

The threats you're going to face are very different so why would the same things be good?  It's not sensible.

Hey Ryan here,

So a couple things. First off, we always really appreciate feedback. Podcasting weekly is always a learning experience and we really don’t get a good gauge on if people like/dislike what we’re doing as it’s happening. 

It never feels good when you think you’re being made fun of (I think I know as well as any...) If extended is your favorite format, you like it more, and I offended you then I am very sorry. 

However, I want to make it clear, that Dee and I have poked fun at the hot topics going on since we started the podcast. I’m known for saying once that Miranda Nym players are “Dead to me”. Dee has called out Ghost Fenn and TLT players. It’s just something we do, (we even had a whole beef segment people seemed to like for a while until they didn’t.)

I don’t want to say “you didn’t get the joke”, because clearly I’m not good at setting up a punchline, but what who I was trying to make fun of were players who are giving “faux outrage” about Hyperspace. What I mean by this, are people moaning and complaining that they can’t fly Turr Phenir, but never would’ve ever flown him anyway because they instead choose the most broken available combo. 

Ive said ON THE PODCAST that I have nothing against people like Starslinger72, who want open variety in their choices, and will exercise those options. I just don’t like disengenuine people, and there are a whole lot of them. I have a couple locals who I’ve heard complain about Hyperspace, only to bring Redline, Soontir, Whisper to an event. 

So if I offended you (not the OP) for not likeing Hyperspace simply because you want an excuse to complain about something, then I’m not sorry and you can stay mad. I don’t care. 

Also, one last note on “Kraytisms”. Dropping the Kaefabe(sp?) for a minute. I’ll publically day that aside from Dión, Mu0n, a couple others, NO ONE is doing more for the X-Wing community than @Brunas and he deserves more recognition. They don’t do a Patreon and are constantly giving to charity. They like to poke fun too, but as a whole the Krayts are more wholesome than most of what I see in miniature Gaming (rekt). If I use their mannerisms it’s because they are great at making memes and spreading them around the community. The kraytventing is real. And nothing is malicious or targeted, unless you’re a terrible person and deserve it (which thankfully doesn’t exist much in our community). 

In summation, I love our podcast. I’ve been working my butt off in order to improve the content, clarify our voices, and ensure it’s VALUABLE to people. Yet, I totally understand that we aren’t for everyone. Arguments can for sure be made that Radio TCX, Gold Squadron Podcast, The Birminham Barons, and several others are better than us. But I’m going to keep doing it because I enjoy it and the community makes it worth it to me  

5 minutes ago, SOTL said:

It's not about 'good enough to hang' it's about how the metagame rebalances around completely different things when you remove a ton of stuff.

The threats you're going to face are very different so why would the same things be good?  It's not sensible.

Because Boba is insanely efficient, and efficiency is always good.  I suspect you know that, and I'm not sure why you're taking this track.