Jump to content
clanofwolves

Best build with a Lambda and two aces...

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

I'm still playing 1.0, but was wondering what the other pond is looking like with the Lambda in a squad. She still working over there? Haven't seen any real traffic on her.

Really good. The Lambda remains a solid support ship - all the better because the Galactic Empire now has a lot of different options for lambda pilots and crew who are genuinely good:

  • The lambda now has co-ordinate as standard.
    • Token fountain
      • When Lieutenant Sai co-ordinates, he gets to do the same action he co-ordinated, meaning (normally) a focus on his ship and the target's
      • When ST-321 co-ordinates, it gets to acquire a target lock 'from' the co-ordinated ship.
      • Combine the two and the shuttle gives one ace a free focus and gets a focus token and a target lock itself at the same time!
    • Repositioning
      • Ciena Ree instead is about co-ordinating repositioning - if the co-ordinated action is boost or barrel roll, the target can take stress to throw a 90' turn on the end of the move. Throwing that onto a TIE interceptor before it moves is ridiculous (you want to do a speed 4 straight sideways? Okay!)
  • Alternatively, Palpatine remains good value
    • He's less devastating but more reliable and (proportionately) cheaper. He essentially lets you change one eyeball to a hit or evade on any attack or defend roll of any ship, anywhere on the board. Critically, unlike (later) 1.0 Palpatine, you can choose to do so after you see the result of the roll.
  • Finally, It's a great target lock buddy (despite not actually having target lock on its action bar)
    • two crew lets you take Krennic and Tarkin. Krennic adds target lock, Tarkin has an awesome ability to make the rest of your squad spontaneously acquire a target lock on the ship you have locked. When 3-4 strikers or interceptors spontaneously acquire rerolls, that's going to hurt.
    • Jendon's ability is also awesome - a 2-use 'ping' which temporarily inverts the range restriction on target locks (you can't acquire them within range 1-3). Awesome for generic bombers or TIE/x1 that really want to be able to acquire their locks before they engage, and frankly crucial to making the generic TIE/x1 work.

 

A pretty close analogy to the 'old' Palp Aces:

  • Omicron Group Pilot
    • Collision Detector
    • Emperor Palpatine
  • Darth Vader
    • Supernatural Reflexes
    • Fire Control System
  • Soontir Fel
    • Predator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

A pretty close analogy to the 'old' Palp Aces:

  • Omicron Group Pilot
    • Collision Detector
    • Emperor Palpatine
  • Darth Vader
    • Supernatural Reflexes
    • Fire Control System
  • Soontir Fel
    • Predator

You can drop collision detectors and change the OGP to Sai.  The coordinate combined with Vader’s ability and Soontir’s Autothrusters actually provide a lot more tactical depth than the minimal upgrades suggest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phelan Boots said:

You can drop collision detectors and change the OGP to Sai.  The coordinate combined with Vader’s ability and Soontir’s Autothrusters actually provide a lot more tactical depth than the minimal upgrades suggest.

It depends how aggressively you're using the Lambda. Since their only action in common is focus, it depends how much you're bringing the Lambda into the midst of the fight (since what Sai actually gives you over a generic Omicron is a bonus focus on the Lambda)

Equally, you could stick with a generic and replace Palpatine with Ciena Ree, and replace collision detector with Advanced Sensors. That gives the two aces truly ridiculous mobility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, I'm a broken record on this, but I'm still enjoying OGP(Palpatine)/Delta Squadron Pilot/Delta Squadron Pilot.

I don't know that I love Palp other than with Defenders, and I know Defenders aren't a fashionable ship, but I've done well with it.  I think it's a list greater than the sum of it's parts, whether or not it's truly top-tier.  Enough shields to handle a few risks, enough tokens (focus, evade, force) to keep your ships fairly safe, all the same initiative for a lot of nice positioning options, good time-on-target for low-initiative ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

It depends how aggressively you're using the Lambda. Since their only action in common is focus, it depends how much you're bringing the Lambda into the midst of the fight (since what Sai actually gives you over a generic Omicron is a bonus focus on the Lambda)

Equally, you could stick with a generic and replace Palpatine with Ciena Ree, and replace collision detector with Advanced Sensors. That gives the two aces truly ridiculous mobility.

I think you need to get the Lambda in the fight.  Sai allows you abuse the coordinate, which your aces then link off of.

In my opinion, the least important part of the list is Palp.  I think you’re right about Cienna being a good substitute.

If you want to get real aggressive with your Lambda:

TIE Advanced x1 - •Darth Vader - 85
    •Darth Vader - Black Leader (70)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Supernatural Reflexes (12)

TIE/in Interceptor - •Soontir Fel - 54
    •Soontir Fel - Ace of Legend (52)
        Predator (2)

Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle - •Lieutenant Sai - 59
    •Lieutenant Sai - Death Squadron Veteran (47)
        •Death Troopers (6) or Tua (7)
        •ST-321 (6)

Total: 198/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Edited by Phelan Boots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unnamed Squadron (198)

Darth Vader — TIE Advanced x170

Supernatural Reflexes12

Fire-Control System3

Ship Total: 85

Half Points: 43 Threshold: 3

 

“Whisper” — TIE/ph Phantom52

Juke4

Collision Detector5

Director Krennic5

Ship Total: 66

Half Points: 33 Threshold: 3

 

Lieutenant Sai — Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle47

Ship Total: 47

Half Points: 24 Threshold: 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:50 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

Really good. The Lambda remains a solid support ship - all the better because the Galactic Empire now has a lot of different options for lambda pilots and crew who are genuinely good:

  • The lambda now has co-ordinate as standard.
    • Token fountain
      • When Lieutenant Sai co-ordinates, he gets to do the same action he co-ordinated, meaning (normally) a focus on his ship and the target's
      • When ST-321 co-ordinates, it gets to acquire a target lock 'from' the co-ordinated ship.
      • Combine the two and the shuttle gives one ace a free focus and gets a focus token and a target lock itself at the same time!
    • Repositioning
      • Ciena Ree instead is about co-ordinating repositioning - if the co-ordinated action is boost or barrel roll, the target can take stress to throw a 90' turn on the end of the move. Throwing that onto a TIE interceptor before it moves is ridiculous (you want to do a speed 4 straight sideways? Okay!)
  • Alternatively, Palpatine remains good value
    • He's less devastating but more reliable and (proportionately) cheaper. He essentially lets you change one eyeball to a hit or evade on any attack or defend roll of any ship, anywhere on the board. Critically, unlike (later) 1.0 Palpatine, you can choose to do so after you see the result of the roll.
  • Finally, It's a great target lock buddy (despite not actually having target lock on its action bar)
    • two crew lets you take Krennic and Tarkin. Krennic adds target lock, Tarkin has an awesome ability to make the rest of your squad spontaneously acquire a target lock on the ship you have locked. When 3-4 strikers or interceptors spontaneously acquire rerolls, that's going to hurt.
    • Jendon's ability is also awesome - a 2-use 'ping' which temporarily inverts the range restriction on target locks (you can't acquire them within range 1-3). Awesome for generic bombers or TIE/x1 that really want to be able to acquire their locks before they engage, and frankly crucial to making the generic TIE/x1 work.

 

A pretty close analogy to the 'old' Palp Aces:

  • Omicron Group Pilot
    • Collision Detector
    • Emperor Palpatine
  • Darth Vader
    • Supernatural Reflexes
    • Fire Control System
  • Soontir Fel
    • Predator

Is there any way to get tarkin to trigger before the first system phase? Trying to make him work but as I see it now hes in this weird spot.  You target lock someone and then next turn they all your ships will all be acquiring locks, which could all be wasted if the target from the previous round only has a few HP left anyway. So it's almost like you want all your ships to be shooting a different target than the one locked on the previous turn, hope to kill it, then swap targets. Some weird gambit/gamble stuff.

Edited by Gibbilo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gibbilo said:

 You target lock someone and then next turn they all your ships will all be acquiring locks, which could all be wasted if the target from the previous round only has a few HP left anyway. So it's almost like you want all your ships to be shooting a different target than the one locked on the previous turn, hope to kill it, then swap targets. Some weird gambit/gamble stuff.

It works with Jendon and TIE/x1 - everyone else locks target #1, Jendon (via krennic) locks target #2. As soon as #1 dies, Tarkin lets the remaining TIE/x1 acquire a new lock as a freebie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 1:07 PM, Boba Fatt said:

Unnamed Squadron (198)

Darth Vader — TIE Advanced x170

Supernatural Reflexes12

Fire-Control System3

Ship Total: 85

Half Points: 43 Threshold: 3

 

“Whisper” — TIE/ph Phantom52

Juke4

Collision Detector5

Director Krennic5

Ship Total: 66

Half Points: 33 Threshold: 3

 

Lieutenant Sai — Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle47

Ship Total: 47

Half Points: 24 Threshold: 5

This is my favorite use of Lambda Aces, but without Krennic and adding the title on Sai. Vader and Sai fly close together,  Whisper flanks. Deadly and very points efficient.

Edited by Ikka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 8:13 AM, clanofwolves said:

I'm still playing 1.0, but was wondering what the other pond is looking like with the Lambda in a squad. She still working over there? Haven't seen any real traffic on her.

New Lambda is worth its salt!

Rear Firing Arc 

Reinforce 

Coordinate 

Jam 

Great Title

Great Pilot Abilities

Great Cost

The TIE Reaper is its competition in your squad, but I prefer the shuttle most of the time.

Imperial Jank 

(47) Lieutenant Sai
(14) Darth Vader
(10) Admiral Sloane
(6) ST-321
Points 77

(52) Soontir Fel
(2) Predator
Points 54

(23) Academy Pilot
Points 23

(23) Academy Pilot
Points 23

(23) Academy Pilot
Points 23

Total points: 200

Edited by JBFancourt
Squad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×