Da_Brown_Bomber

Create a new upgrade card competition (Winners announced!)

Posted (edited)

Lets pretend that FFG wants you to create a new upgrade card for a future expansion.

Some guidelines:

1* This card will be usable by all factions. It can be an elite pilot talent, modification, device, gunner, sensor, cannon, turret, torpedo, missile, astromech or crew.

2* Assign a cost you feel is appropriate for the power level of your new card.

3* Give your new card a suitable name

4* You can post more than one new upgrade submission

5* The winner will be judged by me once the competition closes

6* The closing date for entries is to be 72 hours from now.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

Posted (edited)

Based on a discussion in another thread:

Astromech Upgrade

C1 Astromech

chopper_undercover.jpg

+ Icon action calculate

After you perform an action, you may spend 1 [charge] to perform a red Icon action calculate action.

[Charges]: 1

Cost: 3

It's essentially a sort of very-watered-down one-use knock-off of 1.0's Push The Limit, but also adds Calculate to your action bar - not normally useful (since most pilots with astromech slots will have focus, which is better) but potentially useful if your squad includes a pilot or upgrade who interacts with Calculate tokens, such as Kraken, IG-88 or C-3PO, or if there's someone on the other side of the board specifically able to punish focus tokens (e.g. Palob Godahli can steal focus tokens but not calculate tokens).

A one-use bonus action (such as Cool Hand, Contraband Cybernetics or Adrenaline Rush) would have been worth a point in 1.0, which means 2 points in 2.0. I'll make it 3 because bonus actions are detectably more valuable, even if a calculate token is a bit watered down.

Edited by Magnus Grendel
wrong action icon

Enhanced Ray Shields, Modification, variable points based on base shield value. 4/5/6/8/10/12, two nonrecurring charges

When you would suffer one or more damage, as long as you're shielded, and have at least one charge on this card, cancel the first damage that's dealt to you and spend one charge.

Would also be a good epic upgrade.

Let’s make a few secondary weapons.

Stationary Turret Refit (Turret, 4 points)

Arc: Turret, 3 dice

This weapon, which does not grant the rotate action, is basically a dorsal turret with the moving parts removed to make room for a bigger gun.

alternatively:

Cannon Refit (Turret, Mod, 2 points)

Add [Cannon] slot. When you perform a [Front Arc] or [Bullseye Arc] cannon attack, roll one extra die.

Same idea as the first, but the big gun is a cannon.

Blindspot Blasters (Cannon, 2-4 points)

Arc: Right and Left, 2 dice

This weapon cannot fire at targets behind you.

Just a simple weapon that extends your firing arc to 180 degrees, though it does have the side effect of making your firing arc even bigger for effects that care about that. Oh well.

Reinforced Ramming Spikes (Mod, Illicit, 4 points)

When you partially execute a maneuver, each ship at range 0 suffers one [Crit] damage.

A more aggressive form of Feedback Array that can’t be turned off and doesn’t work on ships that crash into you, but also doesn’t disable you.

Volatile Ordnance (Mod, 1-2 points)

After you are destroyed, each other ship at range 0-1 takes a number of [Hit] damage equal to the number of unspent charges on Device, Missile, and Torpedo upgrades on this ship.

Attach to Resistance bombers for thematic purposes.

6pts. Modification Slot upgrade; Overcharged Engines: 2 charges, non-recurring. Small or Medium base only. Wording: "After you fully execute a speed 3 basic maneuver you may spend 1 charge and roll 1 attack die, if you do perform that maneuver again and receive a disarm token and a stress token. If the attack die result is a crit, take 1 damage."

Long Range Missile - 2 charges, 4 points

When you engage, you may spend 1 charge and take a weapons disabled token. If you do,  launch a LR missile token using the 5 straight template.

LR missile token is the size of a proton bomb and has a bullseye arc.

LR Missile Token: At the end of the  activation phase, choose a ship inside this token's bullseye arc if able. That ship suffers 1 damage. Then, remove this token.

The idea being a missile that can hit at longer ranges, but gives enemy ships ample time to take evasive maneuvers. Only 1dmg because I want it to be a reasonable decision to eat the damage in order to maintain flight trajectory.

31 minutes ago, Matanui3 said:

Let’s make a few secondary weapons.

Stationary Turret Refit (Turret, 4 points)

Arc: Turret, 3 dice

This weapon, which does not grant the rotate action, is basically a dorsal turret with the moving parts removed to make room for a bigger gun.

alternatively:

Cannon Refit (Turret, Mod, 2 points)

Add [Cannon] slot. When you perform a [Front Arc] or [Bullseye Arc] cannon attack, roll one extra die.

Same idea as the first, but the big gun is a cannon.

Blindspot Blasters (Cannon, 2-4 points)

Arc: Right and Left, 2 dice

This weapon cannot fire at targets behind you.

Just a simple weapon that extends your firing arc to 180 degrees, though it does have the side effect of making your firing arc even bigger for effects that care about that. Oh well.

Reinforced Ramming Spikes (Mod, Illicit, 4 points)

When you partially execute a maneuver, each ship at range 0 suffers one [Crit] damage.

A more aggressive form of Feedback Array that can’t be turned off and doesn’t work on ships that crash into you, but also doesn’t disable you.

Volatile Ordnance (Mod, 1-2 points)

After you are destroyed, each other ship at range 0-1 takes a number of [Hit] damage equal to the number of unspent charges on Device, Missile, and Torpedo upgrades on this ship.

Attach to Resistance bombers for thematic purposes.

I am liking that Volatile Ordnance, nice way to gain some benefit from unspent charges. A bit like Deadmans Switch but with potential to be a big explosion :)

Automated Proximity Turret

Modification

Requires the rotate action

After an enemy ship performs a maneuver, if it is in your firing arc, you may perform an attack against it. Dice cannot be modified during this attack.

At the start of the engagement phase, gain a weapons disabled token.

*Overrides the 2 attacks/turn rule

2 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Stern Chasers

Mod

0 points

Missiles and Torpedoes are fired from your rear arc instead of your primary arc.

wow. this is deadly. im going to suggest it is undercosted but what do I know. I really like the potential of this card and i suppose u will only get 1-2 uses from it at most unless ur ship has reload. imho fireprays should probably have this painted on already. creates an interesting option other than bombs too.

1 minute ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

wow. this is deadly. im going to suggest it is undercosted but what do I know. I really like the potential of this card and i suppose u will only get 1-2 uses from it at most unless ur ship has reload. imho fireprays should probably have this painted on already. creates an interesting option other than bombs too.

•Krassis Trelix

3 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Twin Laser Turret

10 points

Grants 3-dice double-turret ("bow tie") arc attack at range 2-3 and a white rotate arc action. 

The Shadowcaster needs this or something similar. 2 dice turret on a large base ship is pretty weak but i think we were spoilt in 1.0 with 360 3dice arcs built into many big ships. 

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

•Krassis Trelix

Boba with this ability would be scary. if HLC was better in 2.0 Krassis might actually see some play. the 3 initiative is a limitation for ordnance carriers... u could build a list around Krassis with escape shuttle w coordinate but im not seeing u getting consistent use from that ability. I think Krasis wants to use 1.0 Mangler Cannon or something that abuses the rear firing arc over and over. Kavil right now is just a more consistent damage dealer. IM hopefull FFG will release something that makes u want to play Krassis. Right now I just would rather play Boba or Kavil supported by a combo of Palob/4-LOM/Jakku Gunrunner.

1 hour ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

Well, it becomes rear arc only  so I figured it was a 0 sum to lose the front option.

Another thing would be to make it large ship only.

- Locked Turret Gyros -  
Modification
     6 points
Treat your (turret) upgrade slot as a (cannon) upgrade slot. After performing a primary attack, if an enemy ship meets your (cannon) firing requirements, you may immediately perform an attack with that weapon.
You may treat your ship's (gunner) slot as a (crew) slot.

I made it six points as this essentially duplicates veteran turret gunner's ability and negates him. This would be fantastic on Y-Wings as it would also open the gunner slot for Skilled Bombardier, some crew upgrade, or just leave it empty!

- Stripped Down Hardware -
Modification
-4 points (not a typo, it's a reduction)
-requires (torpedo or missile) slot
 You  MUST ignore all (missile) and (torpedo) upgrade slots. You MAY NOT equip (missile)or (torpedo) upgrades to this ship

I always loved the renegade refit and chaardin refit of 1.0... this opens it up to all ships while costing them a modification slot and ordnance.

25 minutes ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

{a}- Locked Turret Gyros -  
Modification
     6 points
Treat your (turret) upgrade slot as a (cannon) upgrade slot. After performing a primary attack, if an enemy ship meets your (cannon) firing requirements, you may immediately perform an attack with that weapon.

I made it six points as this essentially duplicates veteran turret gunner's ability and negates him. This would be fantastic on Y-Wings as it would also open the gunner slot for Skilled Bombardier, some crew upgrade, or just leave it empty!

{b}- Stripped Down Hardware -
Modification
 You  MUST ignore all (missile) and (torpedo) upgrade slots. You MAY NOT equip (missile)or (torpedo) upgrades to this ship

I always loved the renegade refit and chaardin refit of 1.0... this opens it up to all ships while costing them a modification slot and ordnance.

a+b= + 2 points for a double tap with a cannon as the second tap on a Y-wing. 38 point Goon with these and HLC. 40pts with Deadman's Switch. Sounds like fun.

Edited by Hiemfire

59 minutes ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

- Locked Turret Gyros -  
Modification
     6 points

- Stripped Down Hardware -
Modification

stripped down hardware would allow generic Z-95 pirates for 20pts... Kath Scarlet  could fly alongside 6 in a squad and still have 6pts for upgrades on her... sign me up.

52 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

a+b= + 2 points for a double tap with a cannon as the second tap on a Y-wing. 38 point Goon with these and HLC. 40pts with Deadman's Switch. Sounds like fun.

they are both mods can't use on y-wings