Protozak87

Wich glue do you use?

Hello gentlemen,

I collect miniatures rather than using them to play. I bought my first snow-troopers and i love them but when i was assembling them i noticed that the glue (citadel plastic glue) i used for warhammer is not suitable for attaching the miniatures to their bases (maybe because the bases are made of a different material). I watched a video where i saw someone using "gorilla glue" but in my country it is not available!

Any advices? Thanks very much

Super glue (cyanoacrylate) for all my miniature needs. Loctite, gorilla, the brand doesn't particularly matter.

I have come to prefer the bottles with a small brush applicator.

8888559960094.jpg

Since the plastic FFG used doesn't react to plastic glue (the innate stickiness of the plastic glue initially led many to believe it was working right up until it fully dried and parts fell off), I also use Loctite, with a slight preference of the ultra gel control since I also use the glue for magnetizing the bases. The normal Gel control works fairly well. 

I'm glad to find so many answers!

2 hours ago, buckero0 said:

I use super glue which I get from my grocery store. (cyanoacrylate)

What country do you live in, that way citizens of that area can help with what is available?

I live in Italy and as "super glue" we have the Loctite Super Attack Precision. I think Loctite Super Glue is the same product!

Thanks to everyone!

3 hours ago, costi said:

Any cyanoacrylate glue will work.

Plastic glue doesn't work because Legion minis are made of PVC, not plastic.

PVC is a plastic.

What is popularly known as "plastic glue" is more properly called "polystyrene cement". It's a solvent that has had short-chain polystyrene dissolved in it.

Hence, it works well on one type of plastic; polystyrene, which will partially dissolve and then merge where "glued".

This is the best stuff I've come across. I have the thin, the thick and the resin glues for making model cars. It's fantastic stuff. Particularly the flexi thick as it has a little give rather than being very brittle like normal CA. I've dropped a fair few minis while learning to paint them and since I switched to this none have broken off the bases when dropped. 

I might add it's by vantage modelling solutions

download (1).jpeg

Edited by Niro750

I use basic CA (superglue) I buy at Dollar Tree. Works great. AND  I use the liquid stuff, not the gel. It can be messier, but if you're precise with it and know how to control the stuff it works very nicely. 

Crazy Glue, Superglue, any sort of cyanoacrylate glue will work. I guess you could use an epoxy if you were careful, it would self-fill any gaps.

I don't like Gorilla glues because they foam up to fill in gaps which creates a very strong bond with wood and other porous materials IF you clamp them: if not the foaming action actually drives the two pieces apart. It's also usually a glue where less is more. I haven't tried their superglue but I suspect it's a very similar cyanocrylate to what everyone else sells.

Usually, for miniatures, I find that while differences in brands and quality do exist, they are not worth buying the better stuff. When I run out of superglue, I get the cheap stuff at craft stores, grocery stores, those stores where everything is a dollar, etc.

I do find that I hate working with any sort of cyanoacrylate gels of any kind.

The 4 chemical adhesives I always keep on hand are off-brand superglue, Elmer's PVA glue, Testor's model cement, and some sort of epoxy putty. Availability of various epoxy putties is volatile so I never know what I'm going to get when I go to the store for more.

I find ribbons of "green sutff" that they sell at hobby shops is way less preferable to the cylinders of putty they sell at craft and hardware stores.

For hobby purposes Elmer's isn't necessarily better than off-brand. But due to economies of scale it's often cheaper when it goes on sale, and then I stock up because it is slightly better than off-brand.

I will often have some 2-part epoxy glue and that thicker carpenter's type of PVA glue laying around, but I don't make a point to keep it on hand. I like that Tacky-Glue they sell at fabric stores for scenery. It's basically ultra-thick PVA which never fully dries, it sort of turns into a clear jelly. This can be an important factor for holding lichen, clumps of foam foliage, etc, and so I will use it for certain jobs.

Edited by TauntaunScout