Da_Brown_Bomber

If you had to play only one faction, what would it be?

Posted (edited)

I choose Scum.

If you had to play only one faction, what would it be?

My backup faction is Imperials (I can still remember playing Vader in his crappy Tie-Advanced back when it was just released and doing double barrel rolls... it was illegal but at the time I didn't know..haha!) but I am quickly warming to the idea of jumping into the Galactic Republic (sucker for Jedi)

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

Resistance for the A-wings

But generally, Imperials because playing Swarms and Aces are what I enjoy most: inconsequential or horrible loss, guaranteed blocking or arcdodging.

Death to control elements, damage shuffling and multi-ship combowing, so no Rebels and Scum for me.

I wonder what the Republic will bring.

Resistance has been a learning experience in overextending myself. It's a faction for veteran rebel players and I am not that, but I suffer from sunken cost fallacy and I will learn how to play them at least semi-properly. If I weren't invested in them, I'd be rocking First Order instead. I have to show my support for the ST, after all.

54 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

wow, imperials are running away with this as the most popular faction. ;)

In my case, it's because they're the only faction with stuff with ailerons - which is, after all, the key to ships being fun to fly (in my opinion, anyway).

3 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

In my case, it's because they're the only faction with stuff with ailerons - which is, after all, the key to ships being fun to fly (in my opinion, anyway).

Interceptors, Strikers, A2wings and Fangs!

1 hour ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

wow, imperials are running away with this as the most popular faction. ;)

Which is, in my case, probably the main reason I only rarely fly them... Imperial vs. Imperial mirror matches are the least fun games to be involved in!

11 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Fangs

I must admit the Protectorate Fang is the one ship which would tempt me into playing Scum & Villainy.

It's just a shame you can't field a decent generic squad - Zealous Recruits are 4-to-a-squad and have only torpedoes as an option, and if you want Skull Squadron, you either get no upgrades or you're down to a three-ship squad where you might as well have taken the named ones anyway.

If they'd kept Concord Dawn Veterans at 47 points at initiative 3 (so you could take them with Fearless) I'd have been all over them.

10 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

and have only torpedoes as an option

That is what put me off, too.

I tried it at a 2e tournament and it was just a lack of options that was uninteresting to me. Even though it is actually not that different.

Empire, mostly for the shieldless, non-rerolling high risk/high reward ships like TIE Fighters, Interceptors and Strikers. High tech ships like Phantoms and Defenders make for an interesting contrast, and for variety there's weird ships like the Advanceds and the Starwing.

I love my Wookiees, Kanan, VCX... but Republic.

I’m a bit surprised that nobody else has said it yet. The ARC-170 was the first expansion pack I bought when I got into X-Wing a year or two ago, and I’ve been putting the force into as many 2.0 lists as I can. Not to mention I grew up mostly on the Prequels.

No contest for me.

Imperials. 

The faction I started with before also adopting Scum. 

Really looking forward to Republic, but I'll always come back to Defenders.

Probably imps. They just have a pretty diverse ship pool to pick from.  Are interesting to fly.  And a good amount of childhood nostalgia also fueling that.  So many iconic ships in the imperial faction.