vivsavage

Modifying the dice system

Posted (edited)

I like the dice mechanic for Genesys (and Star Wars and WHFRP 3e, where it began). The issue I have is that dice rolling can last a bit long, simply because of the way you build your pool, cancel dice, read the results, etc. For most checks, a simple succeed/fail is all I want. Do you have any suggestions for those instances? I was thinking of just using a simple success metric, as used most dice pool games. For example, you need X successes from your roll to succeed. Just roll your own dice without worrying about challenge dice. I'm not sure what to do with boons. Maybe ignore them or say that 2 boons = 1 success. More important scenes would use the RAW mechanics.

ADDENDUM: I'm not looking for "play another game." I enjoy hacking system mechanics, so I'm looking for ideas to do that here.

Edited by vivsavage

Posted (edited)

For simplicity, you have one of two options,

Ignore the threat/advantage mechanic, and i mean ignore them completely...there is no 1-1 ratio for determining how many = success cause that is variant on who's using the mechanic and how they use it. this keeps the spirit of the positive and negative dice and only means you have to calculate success/failure and triumph/despair (for your criticals). I don't suggest this method at all it fundamentally breaks many aspects of the game like weapon qualities and what not.

Taking some inspiration from FFG-L5R however you could instead consider a Target Number (TN) approach to the game rather than a positive and negative dice pool. In this way you would need to give certain penalties for environmental or npc effects (-1 success or -2 advantage things like that). But you basically create target numbers for each roll based on difficulty and number of reds. maybe even going so far as to making them roll reds for potential despair when it arises and ignoring other faces of the die. this allows for minimal adjustment to the system (maybe adjusting the exp costs of skills and talents to balance the overall more favorable rolls), and keep the basic...feel of the nds system.

Edited by faolannus

An important implication of removing the negative dice and using a threshold of successes is that results will become highly predictable: you now have a near-normal distribution of results from any given dice pool. If you go ahead and remove the negative dice, be sure that you want any given pool to roll something pretty close to the same a majority of the time, and be sure you've looked into the probabilities for each possible positive dice pool... Though the results of a given role will highly predictable, the effect on the odds when adjusting the threshold of successes required will be inconsistent (not linear) and may surprise you (e.g. when rolling 3 green dice, increasing the successes required from 3 to 4 raises the difficulty relatively less than increasing the successes required from 4 to 5, or from 5 to 6).

I don't get it. Why use a tool that doesn't suit the task.

The game can do it. But it won't do it as well as a tool designed for it.  It's like using a knife to eat soup...it can work..but a spoon will do it better and you'll make less of a mess.

Remove the dice and switch to a different task resolution mechanic. Hack the rest of the game til it fits. I guess.

Well, there are several different difficulties for the tasks. Simple (-) and Easy (1) tasks are very very fast to read the results, due the (in)existence of very few opposite symbols do read.

Maybe you should use more these difficulties. For any else more complex, I'd say that the advantage/triumph/threat/despair are very important to understand the action and their consequences...

I just can't see any kind of difficult check where I just want to see If the character did or not, withour any kind of complexity and consequence.

I'm resisting the impulse to say, "Play another game." :P

But seriously, why not just ignore advantage and threat on rolls when you want to move the game forward quickly? You'll be making things a bit tougher on your players by doing so, since it's slightly more likely to get 0 successes with some advantage than it is to fail with threat. But you'd also be eliminating some succeed-with-threat results, so it may be a wash. It seems a shame to eliminate the one thing that makes this system so unique, but if that's what you prefer, just ignore the second axis of advantage–threat when it suits you.

And do rest assured that tallying up the dice does become second nature if it hasn't already. If your question is more about system hacking because you find that sort of thing fun, then great. But if you truly are only being stymied by the time it takes to tally results, it will get much, much faster with experience. Have fun!

If its just reading dice not interpret the dice try the dice app. Does it fore you.

Ofc its your game you can do whatever but there are tons of great games out there that does a simple sucess/fail mechanic better. 

Other advice is to make fewer rolls. The way i read your post is that you like the mechanic its just sometimes maybe say a perception or knowledge check between combat you want it faster? 

Advice here is dont call for rolls unless there is a chance or oppertunity for the narrative. Try and make less roll and make building the pool part of the story. Explain why is the difficulty or upgrades there why are setback and boost present. 

Hope it makes sense 😁