Frimmel

Servants of Strife Preview Article

2 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

I really like the idea of Grievous and a few Vulture Driods, of course I still am waiting on Maul; it'd be nice to fit Maul, Grievous a few driods together. Did anyone else notice a specific ship in the "Precise Hunter" card art. There coming..... (Naboo Starfighter)¬†ūüėÄ

Yep. Going to be neat to see how they set it up. :)

4 minutes ago, prauxim said:

Given that we have several low-PS position dependent mechanics (dooku/bullseye abilities), likely some sort of high-initiative coordinate/repo? Or target sync for bullseyes (doesn't help dooku tho)?

If you're referring to the Tactical Relay mechanic the two we know about, Kraken and the one from the bottom right of the original preview image, don't involve Coordinate sadly. If there is another one Coordinate is a possibility. I hope.

swz29_kraken.pngswz29_spread.png

1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

I think there will be some happy players re: Precise Hunter's card art...

WHAAAAT Grappling Struts' front side literally just keeps you from parking multiple Vultures on the same obstacle. That's it. I don't know if that's good or bad but it's not what I expected.

No idea why people expected it to give free stats. I myself expected there to be a drawback to flipping it, so this is good.

From the looks of it this shapes out 5 ships minimum per list faction, at least at launch, as it has no Ace options except maybe Infiltrator, but even fully loaded infiltrator will only be around half your list, and you will need to fill other part with 4 droids, as Bellwhatever has nothing ace ready (sadface for Grievous), but only swarm support options. So faction buylist is Infiltrator, Servants of strife and 2-3 droid solo ships (or second Servants of strife, if Bellwhatever is cheap enough to spam a bit)

1 hour ago, Danomight said:

Grievous with an arc dodge dependent ability at PS4?  Does this seem awful to anyone else?  

It's what FFG should have done with all pilots in 2nd edition. The really cool and good abilities on the init 3-4.

Now, however with many of the Ini 5-6 pilots not only having the ini advantage but even the good abilities, Grievious and others like e.g. Graz are struggling even when flewn well.

In need of having serious other threats in your list, or FFG pushing 5-6 ini pilots  up in cost.

5 minutes ago, Matanui3 said:

No idea why people expected it to give free stats. I myself expected there to be a drawback to flipping it, so this is good.

I was one of those presenting it as a possibility. 2 green die on this fragile of a ship is concerning, even with calculate sharing. They didn't go that direction though, and the Grapple mechanic is interesting to say the least. It opens up allot of fun things for the chassis.

2 minutes ago, Managarmr said:

It's what FFG should have done with all pilots in 2nd edition. The really cool and good abilities on the init 3-4.

Now, however with many of the Ini 5-6 pilots not only having the ini advantage but even the good abilities, Grievious and others like e.g. Graz are struggling even when flewn well.

In need of having serious other threats in your list, or FFG pushing 5-6 ini pilots  up in cost.

I4's like Grevious and Graz are good for hunting support ships (HWKS, Shuttles, Escape Craft, etc.). Those used tend to be lower init, with some exceptions.

22 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

If you're referring to the Tactical Relay mechanic the two we know about, Kraken and the one from the bottom right of the original preview image, don't involve Coordinate sadly. If there is another one Coordinate is a possibility. I hope.

swz29_kraken.pngswz29_spread.png

The symbols on the other Tac Relay could def be Bullseye and Calculate. Last word could be "instead". Beginning looks to be "When a friendly ship at range #-#". Could be some sort of calc-fueled bullseye synchronizer.

2 minutes ago, prauxim said:

The symbols on the other Tac Relay could def be Bullseye and Calculate. Last word could be "instead". Beginning looks to be "When a friendly ship at range #-#". Could be some sort of calc-fueled bullseye synchronizer.

The bottom symbol looks like the rear arc symbol to me... I really wish the images were better resolution on the preview article.

2 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

The bottom symbol looks like the rear arc symbol to me... I really wish the images were better resolution on the preview article.

I can see that, but it looks like its preceded by a "1" and followed by "instead", so that seems to point more toward calc.

8 minutes ago, Matanui3 said:

The rules lawyer in me would like to point out that, as written, grappling struts do nothing.  They flip "while" you execute a maneuver, and then later, "after" you have executed it, they flip right back.

I really want to argue with you and say you're wrong, but wow. The intent is clear but once again FFG has knocked it out old the park with their sloppy templating.

Really was hoping seperatists wouldn't be that cool for that I don't have to buy them. They are a really expensive faction to start with. But they really sound fun to play. I also love the n-1 beeing in the artwork. Hopefully that's a sneak peak. 

10 minutes ago, Good991 said:

Really was hoping seperatists wouldn't be that cool for that I don't have to buy them. They are a really expensive faction to start with. But they really sound fun to play. I also love the n-1 beeing in the artwork. Hopefully that's a sneak peak. 

you dont have to buy them.

11 minutes ago, hargleblarg said:

Like, how hard is it to format text like 

Trigger: Effect

I like how in L5R there is a dedicated symbol (a dash) to separate cost/effect and clear/distinct rules for things that happen during cost and effect (e.g. weather or not replacement is allowed)

1 hour ago, Matanui3 said:

The rules lawyer in me would like to point out that, as written, grappling struts do nothing.  They flip "while" you execute a maneuver, and then later, "after" you have executed it, they flip right back.

As it's been pointed out to me on my national FB group - the "after you execute" bit is a part of the same ability block as the "after you reveal", so it is only reached as a trigger if we've triggered the manoeuvre revealed bit. Which won't happen on the same move which landed us on the rock. 

47 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

wordy. confusing. complicated. newplayers be like... huh?

older players be like... oh wait thats just FFG. once you read it 4 or 5 times it will start to make sense. Anyway, don't worry they will probably follow up with a FAQ that will explain it properly.

Just now, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

older players be like... oh wait thats just FFG. once you read it 4 or 5 times it will start to make sense. Anyway, don't worry they will probably follow up with a FAQ that will explain it properly.

We still need the FAQ that says Proach and Yushhyn work together...

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, ryfterek said:

As it's been pointed out to me on my national FB group - the "after you execute" bit is a part of the same ability block as the "after you reveal", so it is only reached as a trigger if we've triggered the manoeuvre revealed bit. Which won't happen on the same move which landed us on the rock. 

I totally get what you're saying and I agree that's how it is intended. However, they have in the past used the fullstop (.) to denote a separation in abilities (a particularly awful system). They even went so far as to use a semicolon to indicate that the rotating 90¬į for left/right maneuvers is still tied to the condition earlier in the sentence (...if you reveal a maneuver other than 2straight), but they don't do so for the flipping the card text. It's astounding how cluttered this text is.¬†

Edited by hargleblarg
spelling