Frimmel

Servants of Strife Preview Article

2 hours ago, BadMotivator said:

They may only have 2 agility, but if they're sitting on an asteroid they will most likely be obstructed. I think that may have been a conscious choice to keep them from being basically 4 green die turrets that just constantly camp. Especially since they'll probably be the cheapest ships in the game, I'm guessing <10 points.

They might be predictable, but given how the game is much more arc locked than it was before a ship that can remain totally stationary it might spend quite a bit of time out of your arc. And if you are in a turreted ship that is just orbiting the asteroid this Vulture droid is camping, the rest of the CIS list is probably running circles around you.

If you can get 3-4 Vulture droids plus another 2-3 damage dealers it could be quite nasty. The vultures become little turrets on the asteroids while the other ships fly interference. If you attack the vultures, the Aces will kill you. If you attack the aces, the Vultures will plink you to death.

Two words: "bring seismics"

Deathrain and friends are going to have a field day...

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Stefan said:

I'd be surprised if there are many talent slots on CIS ships...

Why not? The IG-88 family of bots have them? 4-Lom have it? 

FYI: HEROIC is Resistance only, my comment was a pun.. ;) 

Edited by Sciencius

I love that RAW the struts don't work.  One side says 'during your maneuver flip this card' then the other side says 'after your maneuver flip this card' and you to flip it right back again.

That is classic FFG right there.

7 minutes ago, Sciencius said:

Why not? The IG-88 family of bots have them? 4-Lom have it? 

FYI: HEROIC is Resistance only, my comment was a pun.. ;) 

Yeah, I got that. Just from a design standpoint, I kind of expect it to be scarce. Might be I'm wrong, of course.

35 minutes ago, SOTL said:

I love that RAW the struts don't work.  One side says 'during your maneuver flip this card' then the other side says 'after your maneuver flip this card' and you to flip it right back again.

I've noted it above - the flip clause on the open side is not an independent effect but the last bit of the block that began with "after you reveal your dial". Just because there's no newline.... But still.

15 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

I think there will be some happy players re: Precise Hunter's card art...

WHAAAAT Grappling Struts' front side literally just keeps you from parking multiple Vultures on the same obstacle. That's it. I don't know if that's good or bad but it's not what I expected.

14 hours ago, Frimmel said:

So once you've opened the grappling struts the only way off the obstacle is with a two straight isn't it? 

I think Seismics might see a lot more play with these lads coming up. 
Can't grip no obstacle if the obstacle dont exist :)

29 minutes ago, svelok said:

Is CIS the git gud faction?

No supernatural, highest initiative is I5, most agile small base "ace" is I4, majority of pilots are I1-3 but nevertheless have bullseye mechanics.

Add a large V.1 Agressor-like ship but with only 1 agility...

1 hour ago, Archangelspiv said:

1 hour ago, svelok said:

Is CIS the git gud faction?

No supernatural, highest initiative is I5, most agile small base "ace" is I4, majority of pilots are I1-3 but nevertheless have bullseye mechanics.

It’s the juxtaposition of these two concepts that I’m most intrigued by.

Sure you can bring the new obstacle type and/or seismics just in case... but will there be enough fear of Separatists in the meta for those to really see that much more play?

9 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

So they can just park on asteroids and blast at people? Am I reading that right?

Fortressing is not allowed. So here's the tools to build an asteroid base instead! :D

You are correct, but I have doubts it's a good strategy to just place all your ships on rocks and just sit there waiting. Blackout and seismics will have a field day...

3 hours ago, SOTL said:

Your snark and speciousness is not helpful. RAW for struts does work. This isn't "classic FFG" it is classic players not actually understanding the rules or properly comprehending what they've read on the card like you have there.  "While you execute a maneuver" is not the same game state as "after you execute a maneuver." That you conflate the two is your failure not FFG's. Overlapping rocks or other ships is only determined while moving or executing a maneuver which are clearly defined in the rules reference. You can not go from open struts to closed to right back to open. The card in no way suggests that. 

2 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

Good point. The only way it is your choice to leave the obstacle is with a two straight. 

11 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

So they can just park on asteroids and blast at people? Am I reading that right?

Yep. You of course have to overlap i.e. land on the asteroid in the first place. But if you just keep revealing maneuvers other than a 2 straight you stay parked on the obstacle with the option of turning or keeping your present facing. You also would clear stress and possibly target lock or calculate. 

7 hours ago, JJ48 said:

That seems like a really odd use of a semicolon, though.  Basically, the sentence has five bits:

(1) After you reveal your dial,
(2) if you reveal a maneuver other than a (2 ^) and are at range 0 of an asteroid or debris cloud,
(3) skip your Execute Maneuver step and remove 1 stress token;
(4) if you revealed a right or left maneuver,
(5) rotate your ship 90* in that direction.

I get the argument that (4) is still bound by the requirement of (2), but it seems just as valid to claim that the semicolon is dividing two separate "if" statements ((2) and (4)), each bound only by (1).

In other words, the idea that you could rotate by revealing a maneuver even without being on a debris cloud seems perfectly valid with the current text.

I think the change in tense in part (4) suggests it is still bound by part (2) - i.e. it is saying that if the "other than straight 2" manuever you revealed in part (2) is a right or left manuever ...

If part (4) was a separate if/then statment I think it would say "if you reveal" in present tense as it does in part (2).

I'm interested to see how the CIS faction develops - their fighters so far are exceedingly fragile and don't have access to high initiative pilots. It looks like they are going to operate on the razor's edge between victory and spectacular defeat and that seems cool.

1 hour ago, LagJanson said:

Fortressing is not allowed. So here's the tools to build an asteroid base instead! :D

You are correct, but I have doubts it's a good strategy to just place all your ships on rocks and just sit there waiting. Blackout and seismics will have a field day...

Seismics are hard to land with these guys just kind randomly pausing.

57 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Your snark and speciousness is not helpful. RAW for struts does work. This isn't "classic FFG" it is classic players not actually understanding the rules or properly comprehending what they've read on the card like you have there.  "While you execute a maneuver" is not the same game state as "after you execute a maneuver." That you conflate the two is your failure not FFG's. Overlapping rocks or other ships is only determined while moving or executing a maneuver which are clearly defined in the rules reference. You can not go from open struts to closed to right back to open. The card in no way suggests that. 

Nah, he's right. The card is busted RAW.

3 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Seismics are hard to land with these guys just kind randomly pausing.

Depends how you use them. The blast radius on a well placed seismic is incredible. Anything with trajectory simulator can put one into the rock cluster in a spot you can choose which rock.

Further, than can't get OFF the rock all that quickly.

20 hours ago, emmjay said:

2 attack, 2 agility, 3 hull.....

Vulture droids better be darn cheap!

Calling it now they'll probably be undercosted. The flexibility they have seems insane.