Frimmel

Servants of Strife Preview Article

Posted (edited)

I think there will be some happy players re: Precise Hunter's card art...

WHAAAAT Grappling Struts' front side literally just keeps you from parking multiple Vultures on the same obstacle. That's it. I don't know if that's good or bad but it's not what I expected.

Edited by SpiderMana

So Vultures are hard locked into 2/2/3/0 with negligible offset... ouch. Still going to give them a go.

swz29_struts-closed.pngswz29_struts-open.png

7 minutes ago, DailyRich said:

Digging the idea of limiting numbers of certain ships.  It'll certainly encourage some more creativity in squad building.

I'm meh on that. For Extended and Hyperspace I don't have an issue with it, for No Glory the Seps are effed in the *** if they try to run a swarm.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

WHAAAAT Grappling Struts' front side literally just keeps you from parking multiple Vultures on the same obstacle. That's it. I don't know if that's good or bad but it's not what I expected.

Agreed. Can park 2 on an asteroid or debris cloud though (says 1 or less) and you don't loose your action.

Edited by Hiemfire

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

So Vultures are hard locked into 2/2/3/0 with negligible offset... ouch. Still going to give them a go.

swz29_struts-closed.pngswz29_struts-open.png

I'm meh on that. For Extended and Hyperspace I don't have an issue with it, for No Glory the Seps are effed in the *** if they try to run a swarm.

Odds are they will be dirt cheap. This likely rules out a pure Vulture swarm as lists cap at 8 ships, but a Belbullab and 5-6 Vultures might be pretty good. 

Edited by LordBlades

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

12 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

The math is extremely favorable to Vulture swarms with their ship ability. Yeah, 3 agility is nice, but 2 agility with infinite calculate tokens is basically better.

We (forums we) discussed this a lot when the first articles dropped, if anybody wants to go dig that thread up.

2 minutes ago, svelok said:

The math is extremely favorable to Vulture swarms with their ship ability. Yeah, 3 agility is nice, but 2 agility with infinite up to 8 calculate tokens is basically better.

We (forums we) discussed this a lot when the first articles dropped, if anybody wants to go dig that thread up.

Slight fix, 8 calc is the hard max that I'm aware of that a single Vulture could have access to in a single round. I understand the logic, I also know green dice... 

6 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

If you're good at abusing the terrain and landing them on rocks, they'll effectively be a 2/3/3/0 thanks to the extra defense die, with the added bonus of being able to ignore the obstacle they're sitting on. It also looks like they don't actually have to leave the asteroid as long as they don't execute a 2-straight, and can pivot at will as long as they reveal a right or left maneuver.

Ladies and gentlemen, behold your asteroid-mounted laser turrets.

17 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

1 or fewer means you can up to 2 vultures on the same obstacle. And you still get the extra die for defense, hopefully you can slap trick shot on these things

Just now, Frimmel said:

So once you've opened the grappling struts the only way off the obstacle is with a two straight isn't it? 

Yep, and that means you're super predictable.

At the same time, though, if you clip an asteroid it's potentially fine, you can have your shot this turn if you accept screwing up your formation / weird maneuvers on subsequent turns.

Posted (edited)

The Belbullab-22’a unique pilots look interesting. Two for supporting swarms and Grievous as a dangerous flanker. I can dig it. 

A tadbit sad there are unique Vulture droids for flavor reasons, but it’s probably better off gameplaywise this way.

Edited by SabineKey

2 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

If you're good at abusing the terrain and landing them on rocks, they'll effectively be a 2/3/3/0 thanks to the extra defense die, with the added bonus of being able to ignore the obstacle they're sitting on. It also looks like they don't actually have to leave the asteroid as long as they don't execute a 2-straight, and can pivot at will as long as they reveal a right or left maneuver.

Ladies and gentlemen, behold your asteroid-mounted laser turrets.

2 minutes ago, Oberron said:

1 or fewer means you can up to 2 vultures on the same obstacle. And you still get the extra die for defense, hopefully you can slap trick shot on these things

Looking over the timings on both sides of Grappling Struts, Vultures completely negate the effects of any Debris Cloud or Asteroid they move through and are only stuck landing if they are already on either at the start of the Activation Phase and don't dial in a 2 straight. Even then they can turn 90 deg and barrel roll off. So they have some very nice movement options at least. I'm just cringing at the 2 green dice. :)

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, svelok said:

The math is extremely favorable to Vulture swarms with their ship ability. Yeah, 3 agility is nice, but 2 agility with infinite calculate tokens is basically better.

While my speculation was that there would be a defensive bonus of some sort, I'm not complaining that it's not there. I'm just surprised there's nothing else. (Limiting it specifically to asteroids and debris is an interesting touch, as I'd assumed the blanket "obstacles" on the back spoke for the whole card. Well played, there, FFG.

@Hiemfire Good catch, it's only limiting it to two per obstacle. This is glorious. :D

3 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Even then they can turn 90 deg and barrel roll off.

Goodness, this keeps getting better.

Obstacle Placement is soooo huge now. Can't wait to see what you can do with Rigged Cargo Chutes on the Infiltrator, hopefully. 😄

Edited by SpiderMana

1 minute ago, svelok said:

Yep, and that means you're super predictable.

At the same time, though, if you clip an asteroid it's potentially fine, you can have your shot this turn if you accept screwing up your formation / weird maneuvers on subsequent turns.

If I'm reading it correctly, you can still perform actions while at range 0 of an obstacle. That means you'll have the ability to barrel roll off the rock.