Sign in to follow this  
JPierson

Detonate

Hey all. So I am getting the Scout Troopers in this weekend sometime and I saw the charges that come with them. I don't understand how Detonate works. I read the rules on it but somethings not clicking. When do they go off? Does it take an action to place them, then an action to set them off?

It takes an action to place them, and then whenever an enemy unit enters range 1 of them you have the option to set it off.  You need to have at least one sabotuer alive to set off mines, and you can set off any number of mines in a round equal to the number of saboteurs alive in your army.

Detonating the mines is not action, it’s an option that you have after anything on the board performs an action. So you could arm them and immediately detonate, since Arm is an action. You don’t have to wait for something to enter range to set them off. If a target is already there, you can detonate them. 

A unit with a mini that has the Detonate (x) keyword may detonate a placed charge from anywhere on the board.

Detonate (x) can be done after any action is done by any unit (including the unit that wants to Detonate). It is not an action itself. No unit needs to be near the charge to use this ability, though I’m not sure why you’d blow the charge without a unit nearby. 

When you use the Detonate (x) keyword, you can Detonate “x” number of charges. Currently we only have minis with the ability to Detonate 1 charge at a time, but in the future we may get Detonate (2) on a mini (or higher).

It does take an action to place a charge and since you have to place the charge within range one of the unit, if you decide to Detonate off the action of placing the charge, the unit placing the charge will also take damage.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:23 AM, JPierson said:

Do the saboteurs have to be in a certain range to set them off or anywhere on the board?

Anywhere on the board, no line of site, and they don't have to be he ones that dropped it.

So, you can have a full unit with a heavy dropping mines while you've got a strike team on the back field blowing them.