Sign in to follow this  
Sir13scott

Timing

This one is argued all the time.

What is the timing of Kanan and Inertial dampeners? 

Kanan says “after” fully executing, and ID says “then” receive...

I’ve been argued that it’s all ability que so you can remove the stress, but in the Rules Reference under timing it says “After: The effect resolves immediately following the timing specified.”

so should not Kanan with “after” mean immediately, aka before ID? 

Posted (edited)

I believe Inertial Dampeners should leave the ability queue like so

Execute maneuver => Gain 1 stress => Perform Action step.

After you execute the maneuver, Kanan is triggered adding his ability to the front of the ability queue.

Kanan Jarrus => Gain 1 stress => Perform Action Step.

This would result in Kanan always triggering before the stress from inertial dampeners is gained.

I can see some people imagining that Inertial Dampeners will result in an ability queue like so:

Execute maneuver and gain 1 stress => Perform Action step.

In which case, executing the maneuver and gaining the stress are all part of the same step and Kanan would not trigger until all of that step was complete, but I sadly do not know of anything in the rules documents to explicitly state if Inertial Dampeners would be two steps in the ability queue or just 1 step.

Edited by joeshmoe554

kanan happens first, immediately after you've gone through 1. Maneuver ship and 2. Check difficulty (page 13 of the rules reference). you then receive a stress token.

I was under the impression that "after" and "then" implies precisely the same timing (i.e. immediately following the maneuver), and since both are ability effects with the same trigger, they can be resolved in the order of the player's choosing.

The important part to note from the rules reference is this:

2. If a player has multiple abilities that triggered from the same event, that player chooses the order that those abilities are added to the ability queue.

3. If resolving an effect from the ability queue triggers additional effects, they are added to the front of the ability queue using the above rules.

Receiving a stress is not triggered "After executing a maneuver", but as part of Inertial Dampeners which is triggered "Before you would execute a maneuver"  Since it is already in the ability queue when Kanan triggers "After a friendly ... fully executes a white maneuver", Kanan's ability would be added to the front of the ability queue and complete before receiving the stress from Inertial Dampeners.

While Kanan is triggered and placed in the ability queue in the middle of Inertial Dampener's ability, you must finish resolving the current ability before moving on in the ability queue, so you would gain the stress from ID before resolving Kanan.

The exception being if it is a replacement effect, which are resolved before all other things.