Sign in to follow this  
Autosketch

2.0 Scenarios and Modifications

Hey folks, 

We had some great fun in the last two years in our local group drafting homebrew rulesets and scenarios for x-wing 1.0. Some of these included the scenario "X-Wing vs. TIE fighter" :

xvt.png?w=471&h=489

https://citrus7workshop.wordpress.com/x-wing-vs-tie-fighter/

or the full game card replacement ruleset Supremacy:
spalsh.png?w=525

https://xwsupremacy.wixsite.com/supremacy

Now that 2.0 has rolled in, mechanics have started to settle, points are out, I think it's about ripe to start tinkering with homebrew scenarios again. I had a huge amount of fun putting these together, and I'm really interested in pulling together some of the neat ideas from these early attempts into something new.  Something we experimented with in Supremacy, sometimes nailed, and sometimes missed, was the concept of "chasses", such that individual pilots could hop into different versions of the same starfighter, to fulfill different roles in your squadron. There was a whole slew of ideas in Supremacy and XvT that I'm excited and interested in turning into something new, that fits alongside 2.0 rules.

I'd like to continue to develop fan scenarios and modules that, with minimum effort and printing, can be used alongside your miniatures to shake things up a bit from your regular 60 minute 100pt matches. 

I think with the floating points system in place for 2.0, a "revised points" X-wing probably isn't on the cards or helpful, but developing a "just-for-fun" altered version of the rules to try out when you need a break, just might well be.

Things I would like to experiment with in the context of one-shot scenarios, or a fan expansion include:
- Pilots semi-separated from chasses (done extremely carefully)
- Mission cards, with one randomly chosen for the game at hand, which you have to adapt your game plan to.
- Multiple variations of chasses for starfighters.
- Exploring concept of squadron-based "flags" to fly. So your squadron path involves picking a Faction, then a Squadron card with specific attributes.
- "Hidden actions", possibly involving a card-based system where you specify the action you intend when you pick your dial, as opposed to after it's revealed, to shift more of the decision making towards imperfect information scenarios.

In a future setting where you've got a day of X-wing set up with friends, and you're looking for 'something different' to try in the afternoon, what would *you* want to see or be able to do?

12 hours ago, Autosketch said:

I think with the floating points system in place for 2.0, a "revised points" X-wing probably isn't on the cards or helpful, but developing a "just-for-fun" altered version of the rules to try out when you need a break, just might well be.

Things I would like to experiment with in the context of one-shot scenarios, or a fan expansion include:
- Mission cards, with one randomly chosen for the game at hand, which you have to adapt your game plan to.
- Exploring concept of squadron-based "flags" to fly. So your squadron path involves picking a Faction, then a Squadron card with specific attributes.
- "Hidden actions", possibly involving a card-based system where you specify the action you intend when you pick your dial, as opposed to after it's revealed, to shift more of the decision making towards imperfect information scenarios.

In a future setting where you've got a day of X-wing set up with friends, and you're looking for 'something different' to try in the afternoon, what would *you* want to see or be able to do?

Hidden information is a tricky thing to do, personally I would like to see more Hyperspace reserves but again FFG didn't really make any mechanical definitions for hyperspace capable ships (in any of their Star Wars game save maybe Rebellion). I guess you could just make a list of hyperspace capable, and include all astromech upgrades.

18 hours ago, Autosketch said:

For me, pilots separated from chasses is a low priority.  But I would love to see mission cards, and more starfighter mods that create the various sub-types of Y-Wings, X-Wings, bring back the TIE/D Defender, the Scyk sub-types, the TIE Shuttle, et. al.

I would also love to see more Unique Ship titles, so that players have more choice than "The Millennium Falcon, or Not The Millennium Falcon."

As an alternate to this idea, I have worked on the idea of choosing a Commander for your list, that then gives you a single special ability you can use a set number of times per game.

I have also worked on this idea: a very small hand of cards that are one-hit-wonders usable once per game to create some unpredictability.

so we've made some early headway into expanding a system where you can have minute differences between starfighter models, and really crack open a ship to multiple variants in firepower, agility, abilities, etc. We've started up discussions in the supremacy discord channel. : https://discord.gg/EdJWWvJ

We're not aiming for an X-wing rebalance, but instead a fun cards-only mod that you can play with your regular ships and tokens, requiring nothing more than a set of cards.

I think the general idea will always be fewer ships than X-wing, a heavier focus on canon-looking squadrons of similar ships, and of course the key system of being able to take different chasses of each type of ship.

We've been bantering around some ideas on the discord channel, some of which involve removing defensive rolls entirely, but instead turning it into an Armada-like system where luck determines how many shots hit their target, and of those hits the defender is forced to spend evades from their "pool" to cancel those hits. So you can either try and wipe out someone's pool in one go, or whittle them down over time. Once the pool is exhausted, hits start creeping through, so for this TIE interceptor below, it can tolerate about two successful hits before it's toast. 

damage is applied straight, where it chews through armour first, then when armour is exhausted, all cards start being dealt face up. 

Nothing here is set in stone, but it's a fun meander towards an alternate home-made play-at-home game mode with a strong emphasis on tinkeering with the different chasses of ships historically available, like in this case, there would be a card for the Mk1, the Mk2, the Royal Guard TIE/IN, and others
whgzcgmykua21.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Edited by Autosketch