Cboerger

Thanks FFG - no really

Not to mention the Twitter response was eye-opening to the way FFG has treated us.  They've heard our complaints, chosen not to address them until pressed, and then appeared to be annoyed we were nagging them.  All else aside, that's disrespect there, and a little bit of arrogance.  We shouldn't be rude in turn.  Instead, I very respectfully won't buy the Legion expansions I was planning to purchase (solely for painting, of course.)

3 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference.  I criticize FFG's handling of Armada because I love Armada as a game and I love that FFG has so many talented, passionate people working on it.  People come here to FFG's official forums and complain about the poor communication because they are trying to communicate their love and passion for Armada to FFG and their concern that it might not survive in their gaming community. 

And as long as they are doing so in a respectful manner I am in full support of them.

My FLGS' x-wing community plummeted around wave 8, and was more or less dead by 10. The other waves were bought, but resented. So we swapped to Armada, and then we're greeted by a year of zero progress on a stale meta. So now the FLGS has shifted again to X-wing, only 2.0 this time. It's a great business model, but I'm not going to buy anything myself until FFG shows me their model has changed.

17 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

I mean, they did fix Rieekan.  They tried first with Sloane, then learned that wasn’t enough and got the nerf bat out.  Pryce was an answer to Rieekan and activation spam, the flotilla and relay nerfs were effective...  It all seems like something they were planning for a while and thought out carefully.  Their comm silence may suck, but this was done right by someone who cared.

My point is how long it took to fix the issue. Rebel squads crushed worlds 3 years in a row right? Dodonna, Rieekan, Rieekan? I honestly don't remember. But Sloane isn't an answer and never could be because it requires you to play Sloane against Rieekan. Tournaments are driven completely by match ups, so if you don't bring Sloane and play Rieekan, that "nerf" isn't doing anything. 

Pryce also reflects the excruciating amount of time it took to nerf flotillas, which is arguably the most debated topic ever on the forums. People quit over flotilla activations. I almost quit after wave 6. My community died because of how slow FFG was to fix the game. 

I'm not denying the people working on Armada care about the game. They do. They put a lot of effort into not over-correcting any problems. But in doing so, they have missed the mark and it takes several iterations to fix the issue. But at the point, how much damage has been done?

14 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

My point is how long it took to fix the issue. Rebel squads crushed worlds 3 years in a row right? Dodonna, Rieekan, Rieekan? I honestly don't remember. But Sloane isn't an answer and never could be because it requires you to play Sloane against Rieekan. Tournaments are driven completely by match ups, so if you don't bring Sloane and play Rieekan, that "nerf" isn't doing anything. 

Pryce also reflects the excruciating amount of time it took to nerf flotillas, which is arguably the most debated topic ever on the forums. People quit over flotilla activations. I almost quit after wave 6. My community died because of how slow FFG was to fix the game. 

I'm not denying the people working on Armada care about the game. They do. They put a lot of effort into not over-correcting any problems. But in doing so, they have missed the mark and it takes several iterations to fix the issue. But at the point, how much damage has been done?

Am I the only one who can’t give two flying flips about competitive and just really enjoy getting together with friends and playing cool scenarios with toy spaceships? 🤨

It sure feels like that some days.

I just saw SU&SD talking about how they didn’t want their Netrunner cards now that the game wasn’t officially supported.  Wut?

Poker hasn’t had any new content released in what, 150 years?  It’s still a pretty active community.  Competitively and casually.

Armada is a great game.  Get some friends together.  Roast a ham.  Tie some matches together with a story and try some asymmetry.  Be amazed.

31 minutes ago, Bakura83 said:

Am I the only one who can’t give two flying flips about competitive and just really enjoy getting together with friends and playing cool scenarios with toy spaceships? 🤨

This! Armada is all about having some fun. And this forum is more and more about complaining and fretfulness.

I don't know how often someone wrote down, why FFG is this and should do that and how he would do better communication, and marketing, and faster FAQ, and better rules for squadrons. It's like the "Armada is d**d!" joke. You can only laugh about it a certain number of times. After that it makes you rolling your eyes.

4 hours ago, Undeadguy said:

We agree that Sloane isn’t an answer.  I think it was a reasonable attempt though, because it (again, in theory not practice) finally gave Rieekan a really bad matchup.  The existence of that really bad matchup would discourage too many players bringing Rieekan to a major event because he’d lose his amazing consistency.  And Sloane was competitive enough that a large competitive field would have those matchups.  It wasn’t meant to drive Rieekan out of the meta, just make a list that could shove him down hard in the standings.  I’ve never seen him being played casually, it’s just not something my group does.  Anyway, when a full force of the Empire’s finest failed, that was the acid test and more extreme measures were taken.  This is speculation, but I don’t fault FFG for taking a long time to do something out of too much caution.  If they care about the consequences there, they can change the method, but it works.  It didn’t destroy an archetype played and loved by some of the most experienced players in the game.  That’s a win.

4 hours ago, Bakura83 said:

It sure feels like that some days.

I just saw SU&SD talking about how they didn’t want their Netrunner cards now that the game wasn’t officially supported.  Wut?

Poker hasn’t had any new content released in what, 150 years?  It’s still a pretty active community.  Competitively and casually.

Armada is a great game.  Get some friends together.  Roast a ham.  Tie some matches together with a story and try some asymmetry.  Be amazed.

Well good for you. I actually do/did care about competitive play so of course our opinions are going to differ. Just because I like competitive play does not mean you have to, nor does it mean you have to follow all the rules FFG puts in place. The guys I played with were competitive. It was exciting to make something new to try and beat them, or to try and survive if we knew we couldn't win. That was the game we wanted to play and FFG dropped the ball. 

Your opinions on the game are just as valid as mine despite us wanting different things. So don't tell me to go gather my friends to play because they already sold their collections because FFG let the game die. 

38 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

Well good for you. I actually do/did care about competitive play so of course our opinions are going to differ. Just because I like competitive play does not mean you have to, nor does it mean you have to follow all the rules FFG puts in place. The guys I played with were competitive. It was exciting to make something new to try and beat them, or to try and survive if we knew we couldn't win. That was the game we wanted to play and FFG dropped the ball. 

Your opinions on the game are just as valid as mine despite us wanting different things. So don't tell me to go gather my friends to play because they already sold their collections because FFG let the game die. 

Yeah I was worried that was going to sound like a personal attack, I’m sorry if it felt that way.  I think it was a few things from a few sources that moved me to post.

I guess what I’m questioning is why you and your friends can’t have that without regular activity from FFG?  How exactly did FFG “drop the ball” in a way that ruined your ability to use the components we have to create competitive play amongst your friends?

Where is this compulsion coming from that makes you think “no new content for a year” = “game is dead” (what does that even mean anyway??) = I can no longer find ways to enjoy these game components/systems?

I’m not looking for an argument, I’m just trying (and failing) to understand your point of view.

8 minutes ago, Bakura83 said:

Yeah I was worried that was going to sound like a personal attack, I’m sorry if it felt that way.  I think it was a few things from a few sources that moved me to post.

I guess what I’m questioning is why you and your friends can’t have that without regular activity from FFG?  How exactly did FFG “drop the ball” in a way that ruined your ability to use the components we have to create competitive play amongst your friends?

Where is this compulsion coming from that makes you think “no new content for a year” = “game is dead” (what does that even mean anyway??) = I can no longer find ways to enjoy these game components/systems?

I’m not looking for an argument, I’m just trying (and failing) to understand your point of view.

I can't speak for other players, but in my local scene, people have jobs, wives, etc. this means that 'getting together for a toss up game' is difficult. With an actual scheduled tourney at a central place, it's more convenient. No new releases and no reprints, stores stop carrying stuff, which means they (the store) don't organize tourneys, and players move to other things.

As far as having fun....lol. Everyone has fun differently. Some players have fun playing some lopsided scenario with home brew rules. That's fine for them. For myself, I want to crush the enemy fleet, see them driven before me, and win glory for the Empire. I LIKE tourney rules and organization. I LIKE winning shiny prizes. But that's me....lol. To each his own, of course.

1 minute ago, Bakura83 said:

We played and discussed Armada a lot, so we were able to quickly design new fleets and optimize them through group thought. Once we did that, it was very hard to find something new that was better without completely changing the style of fleets we enjoyed playing. For me, I really enjoy heavy squads, MSU, or a combination of the two. I never really liked playing with large ships so wave 7 didn't do a whole lot for me. I think the MC75 is cool, but it never really fit into my play style. The same was for my friends. Wave 5/6/7 didn't hit the mark for them and they began playing less because they tried to optimize their fleets that were already good with new content, but couldn't. 

There's no doubt that our own stubbornness to not play a new style killed the enjoyment of the game. I hate playing 2/3 ships. I have no desire to do it. I never really liked playing on-meta because I want to have the crazy fleet that works. Eventually, I ran out of ideas. You have to understand that 2016-2018 I was constantly talking about Armada, playing myself, designing new fleets, and practicing. No exaggeration, it was probably 30-40 hours a week of Armada. There's only so much I can do with what FFG has released. Sure, I can do something stupid like running 16 z-95s or 4 vics and try to make it work, but that feels like I'm just beating my head against the wall trying to make something work. It's not enjoyable for me.

Without any new content, I find it hard to think of something new. I was lucky because I got serious right after wave 3/4. I didn't have time to experiment with the core/1/2 waves so I had to catch up. NC also lost most of its tournaments during 2018. Stores stopped running SC and we don't have regionals this year. I'd love to travel and actually did make plans to go to worlds twice and once to NOVA.  But things came up and I wasn't able to. I tried going to Atlanta a few times but family always got in the way. 

FFGs lack of communication let the game die for me. Instead, they pushed Legion super hard and that was the final nail. Armada died. We still do have some stragglers picking the game up, but the stores stopped carrying Armada and it looks like FFG stopped reprinting stuff. 

I'd love to start playing again but I don't know what else to try. Teaching people isn't really enjoyable either because it takes a long time for them to develop their skills before they can beat me. I dunno. I'm just bored with the game. 

29 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

We played and discussed Armada a lot, so we were able to quickly design new fleets and optimize them through group thought. Once we did that, it was very hard to find something new that was better without completely changing the style of fleets we enjoyed playing. For me, I really enjoy heavy squads, MSU, or a combination of the two. I never really liked playing with large ships so wave 7 didn't do a whole lot for me. I think the MC75 is cool, but it never really fit into my play style. The same was for my friends. Wave 5/6/7 didn't hit the mark for them and they began playing less because they tried to optimize their fleets that were already good with new content, but couldn't. 

There's no doubt that our own stubbornness to not play a new style killed the enjoyment of the game. I hate playing 2/3 ships. I have no desire to do it. I never really liked playing on-meta because I want to have the crazy fleet that works. Eventually, I ran out of ideas. You have to understand that 2016-2018 I was constantly talking about Armada, playing myself, designing new fleets, and practicing. No exaggeration, it was probably 30-40 hours a week of Armada. There's only so much I can do with what FFG has released. Sure, I can do something stupid like running 16 z-95s or 4 vics and try to make it work, but that feels like I'm just beating my head against the wall trying to make something work. It's not enjoyable for me.

Without any new content, I find it hard to think of something new. I was lucky because I got serious right after wave 3/4. I didn't have time to experiment with the core/1/2 waves so I had to catch up. NC also lost most of its tournaments during 2018. Stores stopped running SC and we don't have regionals this year. I'd love to travel and actually did make plans to go to worlds twice and once to NOVA.  But things came up and I wasn't able to. I tried going to Atlanta a few times but family always got in the way. 

FFGs lack of communication let the game die for me. Instead, they pushed Legion super hard and that was the final nail. Armada died. We still do have some stragglers picking the game up, but the stores stopped carrying Armada and it looks like FFG stopped reprinting stuff. 

I'd love to start playing again but I don't know what else to try. Teaching people isn't really enjoyable either because it takes a long time for them to develop their skills before they can beat me. I dunno. I'm just bored with the game. 

^^^^ this. I started Armada on release, and my go to still is ISD plus three Gladiators....lol. Local store has nothing, really. No tourneys or events are planned anywhere, and most players just lost interest and moved on.

1 hour ago, Undeadguy said:

If @Undeadguy doesn't mind I'll expand on this a little more too. 

He states that for him the last 3 waves didn't really fulfill the fleet types he wanted to play, and the lack of content finally made it difficult to diversify in that niche.

But he's not alone. 

Even metas where people tried new fleets and different niches things are starting to dry up. The number of new combinations is limited, new cards to old fleets, old cards to new fleets, eventually, the best you can do is use cards or ships that are less synergistic or less competitive to try add new diversity.  Some people even start building jank fleets and amuse themselves with that. Now, of course, I'm sure some metas don't stale as fast. Not everyone has the time focus or energy to put into Armada as Undeadguy did or I do. (I'm in the same boat btw 20-30 hours a week thinking/playing/planning armada). But for those metas that get 2-3 games a week. Things get stale fast. The last few waves, before 7, this staleness was offset by released cards of the next wave. By the time those preview cards got stale the wave was out and there were new cards to try. 

This last wave really screwed itself though.

Do you remember the Chimera announcement? 

We were given the commanders, and one whole faction's ship cards. People have essentially been playing the Cymoon and Kuat ISDs since August 25th 2017....

By Nov 27th they had spoiled Chimera, Intensify firepower, and by December they spoiled Pryce.

By this day in 2018 both factions had there ships released. 

What I'm trying to say is, every time they preview a new card, it adds new zeal to the meta, but it also shortens the time that wave will remain fresh. I've been playing with the mc75s for a year and Cymoons and Kuats for nearly a year and a half now trying all new fleets and updating old ones. You better believe trying out some serious Jankmaster BS too... But with nothing new to add to this meta, I'm getting tired. 

The worst part is the SSD looks to only exacerbate the issue. A single ship, with many of it's cards spoiled. Maybe a new game mode but it certainly doesn't add a ton of variety. I fear the SSD meta will try up even faster and could in all seriousness put Armada in an irreversible downturn. 

The point of all of this is to say, yes, Fantasy Flight Games is responsible if Armada dries out,. They opted for short term results in player satisfaction by spoiling the majority of upcoming waves thus making the long term satisfaction of those waves shorter. Add to this their delay in release schedule.

At this rate Armada is likely to dry out faster than the sweet salty tears of hurt fanboys that make up Crait's surface. 

1 hour ago, Darth Lupine said:

^^^^ this. I started Armada on release, and my go to still is ISD plus three Gladiators....lol. Local store has nothing, really. No tourneys or events are planned anywhere, and most players just lost interest and moved on.

This is what happened in my decent size city.

On 1/7/2019 at 10:16 AM, Darth Sanguis said:

[looks at the massive pile of Legion and 2.0] I have NO idea what you're talking about. 

I wholeheartedly disagree. Eye for an eye may make the whole world blind but mutually assured destruction keeps the peace. I say you reap what you sow. They've been planting the seeds of discontent for Armada for a looooong time, slow FAQs, delayed releases, lack of content, lack of communication, and at this point they've clearly put us so far on the back burner they can't even keep necessary packs in stock. 

So if they want to sow discontent, discontent is what they'll get. And based on their reaction to the tremendous amount they got smacked with on new years, we may even see some results. They may not care privately but getting publicly humiliated by their consumer base makes business look bad. 

I barely pay attention anymore, what happened on new years?

So, while I understand the plight of those who have posted previously, I started in December 2017. And I am not a competitive player, but I play competitively because thats what people in central and north NC are doing. Legion, XWING 2.0, Kill Team all took a hit on the community playing Armada.

I didnt get a game in for 2 months.

But that didnt stop us from still, talking about the game and formulating things, talking about stuff. But I dont also dedicate all my time to Armada, so maybe that helps?

5 minutes ago, Madaghmire said:

I barely pay attention anymore, what happened on new years?

They posted a question about our favorite moments of 2018. The fanbase of several games immediately informed them that they suck at communicating with their customers and that it was making a lasting impression. FFG replied to these insights with:

"In case there was any confusion, we understand your concerns, but voicing these concerns (again) does not provide us any valuable insight into the moments and events you viewed as your 2018 highlights. What did you enjoy and want to see more of?"

Many of which interpreted that as, 

"We've heard every complaint over the last 2 years but chosen to ignore them, informing again doesn't give us valuable insight on how to better our company. PS: Happy posts only"

Which sparked some heated debate here and there... got a post locked... and led to this may may

yiN6u0W.png

Just now, Darth Sanguis said:

Which sparked some heated debate here and there... got a post locked... and led to this may may

Which to be honest... after two 14 hour work days... and at least  four more to go this week, is the only thing keeping me laughing lol

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Which to be honest... after two 14 hour work days... and at least  four more to go this week, is the only thing keeping me laughing lol

[insert zuko 'thats rough buddy']

My NCOs made me go to both SHARP and EO training this week...

I start terminal leave in 28 days.

I leave the army in April...

I thought I had done my last one in September. :(

Edited by Ling27

4 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

The worst part is the SSD looks to only exacerbate the issue. A single ship, with many of it's cards spoiled. Maybe a new game mode but it certainly doesn't add a ton of variety. I fear the SSD meta will try up even faster and could in all seriousness put Armada in an irreversible downturn. 

The SSD meta may not last particularly long - but it probably won't need to. There's a chance that Wave 8 (or equivalent) is fairly far along in development - possibly aiming for a Q3 release (they might even do what they did with Wave 3/4 and combine it with the SSD, but it's probably too late now).

The SSD has really messed up things on FFG's end, and I imagine it is as frustrating for them as it is for us. They've been working on it for years (since before Wave 5 at least), trying to find a way to make it work in the game - probably investing quite a lot into it, and with the players clamouring for it. But they need to make that investment back - and that means making sure enough of us buy it. And that means not being able to announce anything new until after the SSD has cleared (so people on the fence about buying the SSD don't pass it up for the next Wave).

Unless they've massively scaled back on Armada, they should have a good chunk of new Armada stuff nearly ready - maybe that's a Wave 8, maybe that's breaking into Clone Wars (as hinted over the summer), and they're probably quite frustrated with not being able to announce it, but are held back by the delays to the SSD. Plus the Armada team are probably a bit annoyed at likely having to hold back due to X-Wing 2.

Yes, it is frustrating for us, but what do you want them to say? That they're working on new stuff, that they know we want more ships, that they still care about Armada? Would those who are angry at FFG even believe them if they did say that.

Sure, I'd like to see exciting new Armada stuff, and I'm getting a bit fed up with my current fleet (but haven't changed it because it seems to work so well for me). But they're still putting out tournament kits, the SSD is going to be here soon, and hopefully once that is out of the way we'll start getting some new normal content.

So yes, FFG, it would be nice if you could remind us that you do love us really, and let us know that things will be back to normal soon, but for now, thank you for lots of fun gaming.

One of my spring plans is to get all the stuff I don't have yet for both sides for Armada.  Moreso than any other fleet-scale game (even though Armada is at the lower end of 'fleet' sized games) the amount of upgrades and ability to field each model as at least two variants means I could play what exists right now off and on for years after it stops being supported.  I don't get to play a lot, so I can't ever see getting burnt out on it.

I found my couple of Battlefleet Gothic fleets in my collection got a bit boring after the game died as it was always the same ship profiles facing off against each other as only small things of their profiles could be changed, so. Lunar class cruiser was always going to have the same stats.

But even just my three CR90s can be given lots of variety from one game to another, especially with purely casual play (rather than chasing optimal builds).  Say nothing of the ISD if you have the Chimera pack.

I'm always a fan of more stuff, but let's face it...if two good friends are playing with a complete collection of what's out there (especially with multiples of some stuff) has A LOT of possibilities for fun, regardless of FFGs continuing (or lack therof) support.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

There's a chance that Wave 8 (or equivalent) is fairly far along in development - possibly aiming for a Q3 release

Maybe. 

To be honest I don't think there's reason to give the benefit of the doubt. Compared to the past we have gone an exceedingly long time without a wave announcement. If they're using all their Armada allotted resources to get the SSD out, which they could be, then I doubt they have the time to develop whatever wave 8 is supposed to be. 

11 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

But they need to make that investment back - and that means making sure enough of us buy it. And that means not being able to announce anything new until after the SSD has cleared (so people on the fence about buying the SSD don't pass it up for the next Wave).

Eh, I think you may be wrong about this part. It's definitely a heavy investment, but the idea that withholding further expansions will promote Armada instead of cause damage to smaller communities seems a bit abstract.  Especially considering the amount of time we're talking about without news. If it were me, I'd have announced wave 8 first, even if the SSD was intended to hit the shelves first. Firstly, it gives players from both factions something solid to think about and look forward to, but also gives a clear message of "we intend to support this product". With all the people who want the SSD, it's going to sell like hot cakes anyways. 

I have my own suspicions about the lack of wave 8 info. I thought for sure we'd have an announcement by now. 

I think it definitely means a new faction. The SSD being the capstone of the Galactic Civil War. Whether they're going the obvious route of the Clone Wars or have orders to wait until EP IX drops to announce a sequel trilogy, I think that could be what we're seeing. It is pure speculation however. 

Either way. Back to the point, if the SSD is eating dev costs, I doubt the next wave is far enough along in production to be optimistic about seeing it this year. Best case Q1 announcement with a Q4 release. Worst? Mid Q3 announcement late Q1 or Q2 release. 

Either way... communities are drying up. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis

I'd wager that most of Armada's resources got sucked into XW2 and Legion. And I'd also bet that the priority is to have Clone Wars content for those two games in time for the return of the limited series later this year/early 2020 (specifically since they announced it).

I don't think Armada post SSD doesn't exist, but I don't have faith that it's terribly in the pipeline either. And I really don't see it being Clone Wars related, because why wouldn't you advertise it coming unless it didn't pass Disney IP police. I suspect that we're in for the status quo, and at best an announcement of more product in 2019.

They really need to address the out of stock issues at the minimum.

On 1/7/2019 at 4:15 PM, Attackmack said:

Hey man, if you just got into the game then perhaps take a step back when the people who been in for many years voice their complaints. They have seen how things have evolved and been maintained since the beginning and their opinions and worries is worth taking into account for the future of the game.

Btw, your notion about how companies owe its customers nothing, of course they do. They owe us what we owe them; a fair amount of trust and respect. Aside from the money/product transaction that is.

Thanks! I agree with you about the respect part, mostly.

I disagree with you that me being new means I should take a step back. That sounds like the “appeal to authority” fallacy, which says someone who is an expert in a subject, or been there longer, trumps my own opinion. Which it does not. We are talking about opinions here, not facts. Mine isn’t invalidated because someone has been here one day longer or one lifetime.

now should I take what they have to say and think on it? Yes. I stand to learn something. 

The second thing is this. A company doesn’t owe us anything, save a quality product we purchased. That’s my outlook. However, a company owes itself every chance to grow and flourish, and become better. That is where the human aspect comes in. Interaction with, listening to, and respect for customers, is big here. They begin to treat us as fellow people, not customers, and we should in turn treat them as fellow people and not a “company” that owes us. A mutual respect, like you said.

What I’m trying to say is, the human aspect of FFG isn’t strong with the Armada customers. Nor does it seem the human aspect of the community is strong either. Perhaps a return to humanity for us, and then an appeal to there humanity could inject Amarda with a boost to its life stream. 

Armada is being approached poorly. It’s sad, and stinks as the new guy on the block. As I can see it sucks for old timers, and even casual players. 

Saying, like some have, that the lack of focus and communication is equally as bad as the rude, insensitive, harsh language used by the community is justified, because of “an eye for an eye” and other such comments, is ridiculous. We should live above those lesser laws, and be kind even in the face of unkindness (real or imaginary). To use a cliche to counter the prior, “you  catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.”

I think that is at the heart of this thread. Thanks for a fun game, please know not all of us, however you do see us FFG, are so rude and unjustly entitled. We want more products to continue to enjoy. 

More maybe I missed the mark.

1 hour ago, TrueMandalorian said:

Saying, like some have, that the lack of focus and communication is equally as bad as the rude, insensitive, harsh language used by the community is justified, because of “an eye for an eye” and other such comments, is ridiculous. We should live above those lesser laws, and be kind even in the face of unkindness (real or imaginary). To use a cliche to counter the prior, “you  catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.”

The issue with this approach is that we used up all the honey and no bees came. This isn't an issue that just happened, this has been going for YEARS in Armada. I try my damnedest to positive person in my day-to-day life. I tried to approach the Armada "problem" with positivity, but positivity has yielded no results. Granted, complaining hasn't yielded any either, but I don't have any more positive things to say.

Complaining (and in doing so, pretty explicitly telling FFG what we want) feels a lot better than just laying down and giving up.