Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Admiral Calkins said:

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I think what you are asking for is unreasonable and should not be expected based on FFG's history of articles.  This took me to task, so I took a look at both the types of articles for X-Wing 2.0, Armada, Legion, Destiny, and Imperial Assault for the last six months as well as the time between an expansion being previewed and being available for Armada, Destiny, and Imperial Assault for the last two waves/expansions (I think with X-Wing 2.0 and Legion, being the obvious priorities and thus having more articles that also preview out further, we can remove them from the latter calculation).

First, looking at the last six months for all the FFG SW games (actually had to go back further for a good Armada sample), the articles can all be classified as either tournament-related, an expansion/booster announcement, an expansion/booster preview, an expansion/booster being available, guest articles, and usually generic designer journal articles (X-Wing 2.0 has list building articles, but this type of article seems to only be put out for this game).  What I'm trying to get at is that while we all would like to see articles like the ones that you are describing, these are not the type of articles FFG has been putting out for any of their games.  And just assume that if they aren't doing it for X-Wing 2.0 or Legion, they aren't going to be doing it for Armada.  Looking at just X-Wing 2.0 and Armada, unless you count the guest articles, there has only been one preview per expansion in the last two waves, which obviously weighs more heavily towards X-Wing 2.0 as they have more ships per wave.  So essentially, even though it is the Super Star Destroyer, the biggest ship in the original trilogy, expect an announcement, a preview, and then a release, because this is exactly what they do for every expansion.

As for the second part, the last two Destiny Expansions (Way of the Force and Across the Galaxy) both had previews beginning 30 days prior to the expansions being available.  Imperial Assault had 62 days (Tyrants of Lothal) and 78 days (Heart of the Empire) from an expansion's first preview to its release date.  And Armada had 29 days (Wave 7) and 48 days (Wave 6) between those expansion's first preview and their release dates.  So if you look at the three SW games that are not FFG's priority, we have between 29 and 78 days before the release date before we get our first (and likely only) preview article of the SSD.  With an average of the last two expansions in this group being 46 days, we are still meeting the deadline of getting a preview to meet a release date in the fiscal quarter.  And just looking at Armada, that comes to 29 to 48 days for a preview before the release date, with an average of 39 days.  Either way, we are likely getting an article no later than 29 days before the SSD is released, which still is plenty of time to meet a release date in the quarter.

This is the main reason that I mentioned that I would like to see more guest articles, because they have done them in the past (and who wouldn't want to read more stuff from people within our community?) and they wouldn't require much effort on FFG's part.

 

I understand that much - but I'm also looking at when Wave 7 came out - and we ARE getting awfully close to a year from that part.  Heck, I know I'm not a normal case, but I got Wave 7 on January 16th, so we are literally only 10 days from the anniversary of Wave 7's first in-hand review.  

 

But hey, maybe the SSD is delayed.  It's ok I am not DEMANDING an article - I just commented here to sympathize with those who ARE upset.  I sometimes feel that way too....  and these are the type of things I would really like to see.   I think we are within the window that the first in a series of SSD articles could start flowing.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Crabbok said:

But hey, maybe the SSD is delayed.  It's ok I am not DEMANDING an article - I just commented here to sympathize with those who ARE upset.  I sometimes feel that way too....  and these are the type of things I would really like to see.   I think we are within the window that the first in a series of SSD articles could start flowing.   

I get that.  I really just wanted to illustrate that, so far, everything seems to be going according to FFGs normal article cycle for all of their SW games.  And yes, we are certainly within that window for an SSD article.  I would love for you (or @JJs Juggernaut, @Truthiness, @Snipafist, etc.) to approach FFG somehow and provide them with an article or ask them if they would like one from you on a specific topic (a State of the Game article from one of you would be especially nice).  Maybe that would get them to start considering that route more to supplement article production.

What gets me salty is the lack of product on the shelves.  They can do all the marketing they want (like I can do all the Learn to Play demos I want), but it doesn't mean much if veteran or new players (especially) can't even purchase a ship or squadron pack for the game that they love or just got introduced to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Admiral Calkins said:

I get that.  I really just wanted to illustrate that, so far, everything seems to be going according to FFGs normal article cycle for all of their SW games.  And yes, we are certainly within that window for an SSD article.  I would love for you (or @JJs Juggernaut, @Truthiness, @Snipafist, etc.) to approach FFG somehow and provide them with an article or ask them if they would like one from you on a specific topic (a State of the Game article from one of you would be especially nice).  Maybe that would get them to start considering that route more to supplement article production.

What gets me salty is the lack of product on the shelves.  They can do all the marketing they want (like I can do all the Learn to Play demos I want), but it doesn't mean much if veteran or new players (especially) can't even purchase a ship or squadron pack for the game that they love or just got introduced to.

I've reached out to them multiple times about Armada.  I've offered my whole "Is there ANYTHING I can do, is there anything the community can do to help? " deal...   I seldom get responses anymore - but I'll say that I don't know if it's specifically an Armada issue, because I also write to them about OTHER things as well.  I was supposed to have some things lined up for other games that simply fell apart due to a communication breakdown.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Crabbok said:

I've reached out to them multiple times about Armada.  I've offered my whole "Is there ANYTHING I can do, is there anything the community can do to help? " deal...   I seldom get responses anymore - but I'll say that I don't know if it's specifically an Armada issue, because I also write to them about OTHER things as well.  I was supposed to have some things lined up for other games that simply fell apart due to a communication breakdown.  

Thank you very much for trying and please continue to try reaching out to FFG. Maybe finally they will break down and accept some assistance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...