Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Michael Gernes took over producing and rules development at the time of integration just before the official Asmodee Merger.

 

There was a distinct point in which James Kniffen stopped responding to Rules questions, and Michael started.

Heck, I can literally pinpoint the day If I Jump into my email archive.

 

i even had a conversation over email with Michael about it.

 

(I don’t think people really grasp just how many rules clarifications I’ve asked for over the years...)

Edited by Drasnighta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Peterson founded and (as far as I know) owned FFG and designed, amongst others, Twilight Imperium.  Pure speculation, but I figure he probably continued as CEO during the transition after Asmodee purchased them and it was always planned that he would leave after a certain amount of time.  Again, pure speculation but it's not an uncommon occurance.

Edited by Audio Weasel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

It's been a while since I have been on these forums and I have a very important question:

Which is the better game right now, Age of Sigmar or 40k?

Rumor is 40K is doing ok, I got a friend who still plays it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I always try to stay positive, I do understand the need to vent frustrations over the lack of communication.  Especially when it feels like it would be SO EASY to make a simple article.... and especially on Fridays which have been far more empty than in earlier months.   Feels almost like a deliberate void at times.   We're only human and sometimes we get frustrated.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crabbok said:

As much as I always try to stay positive, I do understand the need to vent frustrations over the lack of communication.  Especially when it feels like it would be SO EASY to make a simple article.... and especially on Fridays which have been far more empty than in earlier months.   Feels almost like a deliberate void at times.   We're only human and sometimes we get frustrated.   

@Crabbok, you remain one of the most positive members of the Armada community, so thank you very much for that.

But your post got me thinking.  Aside from expansion previews and tournament kits (which are the articles that are generally put out for all of their SW games), there doesn't seem much for FFG to put out that isn't already coming out from the community.  They could put out articles on list builds (meta archetypes), tactics, or even on individual ships/commanders/upgrades, but this is already being done by CGYSO, Steel Command, Crabbok, and others.

So, serious question.  Aside from previews and tournament kits, what other types of articles would we like put out by FFG for Armada that aren't already done by the community?  I like the idea of them supporting (and obviously vetting) guest articles from players that have won or placed in important events, which somewhat gives a "State of the Game" for that particular region (someone mention a "SotG" update in this or another thread).  It would put out articles that the community would be happy about yet require minimal support from their staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Audio Weasel said:

Peterson founded and (as far as I know) owned FFG and designed, amongst others, Twilight Imperium.  Pure speculation, but I figure he probably continued as CEO during the transition after Asmodee purchased them and it was always planned that he would leave after a certain amount of time.  Again, pure speculation but it's not an uncommon occurance.

This is most likely, at one of my previous jobs we got sold into a merger, CEO took home just over £10 Mil... and was still kept on board the company to run it on a wage.

 

37 minutes ago, Audio Weasel said:

Even if you have no releases, make a tactics or weird list article.  Something to let us know that they know we're still here

even Community Spotlight and each month promote videos/blog posts from within the community. Plenty of good marketing tools to use when you have nothing to post 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread epitomizes FFG RN. Made 1 minute after the last one locked, yet someone the Forum mod had only enough time to lock one thread, before continuing to scratch his ****... 

in the time it took him to close the thread and vamos, he/she could've written a response, even in a new topic of just done anything positive.

 

I've promoted this game to many many people but RN I wouldn't tell anyone to invest any decent amount of money in it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be no German translation/version of the SSD.

I find this more concerning than making me angry, however some are less pleased about this.

1 hour ago, Audio Weasel said:

Even if you have no releases, make a tactics or weird list article.  Something to let us know that they know we're still here

Or you know, interview the winners of the nationals and talk through their lists.
Provide a few custom made scenarios, showcase some ways to paint squads, game reports, videos, communicate whats going on and so forth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, EbonHawk said:

This thread epitomizes FFG RN. Made 1 minute after the last one locked, yet someone the Forum mod had only enough time to lock one thread, before continuing to scratch his ****... 

I’m thinking that was from the back and forth of Crunch and Nomemories.

I’d like to see design videos showing what they were thinking with the Interdictor Combat Refit and the Gauntlet, concerns playtesting Sloane, Konstantine or Thrawn, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

I for one have made a vow with FFG till death us to part to purchase an expansion every 3 months. I feel like I am cheating on them at the moment.

I'm just thankful that Santa brought me a couple of expansions for Chistmas. It felt like a new release day! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rcm17 said:

If any of you angry forum goers are looking for a new miniatures game... Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game is on the rise again, and it is glorious!

Now that we are on the topic of a community/game being abandoned by its company...

Luckily those dark days are over now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 8:00 PM, rcm17 said:

If any of you angry forum goers are looking for a new miniatures game... Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game is on the rise again, and it is glorious!



That was a great skirmish game back in the day.

Prodos' Alien vs Predator: Unleashed has some of the best miniatures on the market, and the game is finally found its footing with regular new releases now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Admiral Calkins said:

@Crabbok, you remain one of the most positive members of the Armada community, so thank you very much for that.

But your post got me thinking.  Aside from expansion previews and tournament kits (which are the articles that are generally put out for all of their SW games), there doesn't seem much for FFG to put out that isn't already coming out from the community.  They could put out articles on list builds (meta archetypes), tactics, or even on individual ships/commanders/upgrades, but this is already being done by CGYSO, Steel Command, Crabbok, and others.

So, serious question.  Aside from previews and tournament kits, what other types of articles would we like put out by FFG for Armada that aren't already done by the community?  I like the idea of them supporting (and obviously vetting) guest articles from players that have won or placed in important events, which somewhat gives a "State of the Game" for that particular region (someone mention a "SotG" update in this or another thread).  It would put out articles that the community would be happy about yet require minimal support from their staff.

SSD articles.  

 

Look, I realize we already know every single card that comes in the pack - but typically they do previews for those cards on fridays and stuff.  Like on November they could have been like "Now lets take a look at the Ship cards that go above a 400 point game"

Then in December they could have been like "Now lets take a look at the officers that come with the pack!"

or something to that effect.  

I mean - effectively the SSD is wave 8 - and every other game has several articles for every wave.   We haven't had anything beyond the initial announcement in early August.  Heck we could even use an article detailing some commonly asked questions regarding the SSD like "How Motti will interact with it?" and "What happens if you deploy the SSD in the Ambush Zone for Fleet Ambush but there isn't enough space because obstacles block you completely?"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Geressen said:

I am dissapointed by the lack of

tenor.gif?itemid=10624644

Here you go:

Prior to the Legion/X-wing 2.0 push, Armada was in the top 5 selling table top war games...

How are we ranking now, with more than half our expansions NOT getting reprints in 6 months?

How much ill will did the Hyperspace Report generate in the community? How much has been done to repair that damage? 

So yeah, the FFG marketing team sucks at life!

Great game! Pathetic customer interaction, and only seems to be getting worse. 

SALT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crabbok said:

SSD articles.  

 

Look, I realize we already know every single card that comes in the pack - but typically they do previews for those cards on fridays and stuff.  Like on November they could have been like "Now lets take a look at the Ship cards that go above a 400 point game"

Then in December they could have been like "Now lets take a look at the officers that come with the pack!"

or something to that effect.  

I mean - effectively the SSD is wave 8 - and every other game has several articles for every wave.   We haven't had anything beyond the initial announcement in early August.  Heck we could even use an article detailing some commonly asked questions regarding the SSD like "How Motti will interact with it?" and "What happens if you deploy the SSD in the Ambush Zone for Fleet Ambush but there isn't enough space because obstacles block you completely?"

 

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I think what you are asking for is unreasonable and should not be expected based on FFG's history of articles.  This took me to task, so I took a look at both the types of articles for X-Wing 2.0, Armada, Legion, Destiny, and Imperial Assault for the last six months as well as the time between an expansion being previewed and being available for Armada, Destiny, and Imperial Assault for the last two waves/expansions (I think with X-Wing 2.0 and Legion, being the obvious priorities and thus having more articles that also preview out further, we can remove them from the latter calculation).

First, looking at the last six months for all the FFG SW games (actually had to go back further for a good Armada sample), the articles can all be classified as either tournament-related, an expansion/booster announcement, an expansion/booster preview, an expansion/booster being available, guest articles, and usually generic designer journal articles (X-Wing 2.0 has list building articles, but this type of article seems to only be put out for this game).  What I'm trying to get at is that while we all would like to see articles like the ones that you are describing, these are not the type of articles FFG has been putting out for any of their games.  And just assume that if they aren't doing it for X-Wing 2.0 or Legion, they aren't going to be doing it for Armada.  Looking at just X-Wing 2.0 and Armada, unless you count the guest articles, there has only been one preview per expansion in the last two waves, which obviously weighs more heavily towards X-Wing 2.0 as they have more ships per wave.  So essentially, even though it is the Super Star Destroyer, the biggest ship in the original trilogy, expect an announcement, a preview, and then a release, because this is exactly what they do for every expansion.

As for the second part, the last two Destiny Expansions (Way of the Force and Across the Galaxy) both had previews beginning 30 days prior to the expansions being available.  Imperial Assault had 62 days (Tyrants of Lothal) and 78 days (Heart of the Empire) from an expansion's first preview to its release date.  And Armada had 29 days (Wave 7) and 48 days (Wave 6) between those expansion's first preview and their release dates.  So if you look at the three SW games that are not FFG's priority, we have between 29 and 78 days before the release date before we get our first (and likely only) preview article of the SSD.  With an average of the last two expansions in this group being 46 days, we are still meeting the deadline of getting a preview to meet a release date in the fiscal quarter.  And just looking at Armada, that comes to 29 to 48 days for a preview before the release date, with an average of 39 days.  Either way, we are likely getting an article no later than 29 days before the SSD is released, which still is plenty of time to meet a release date in the quarter.

This is the main reason that I mentioned that I would like to see more guest articles, because they have done them in the past (and who wouldn't want to read more stuff from people within our community?) and they wouldn't require much effort on FFG's part.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ling27 said:

I would like to see custom scenarios, not-tournament legal fun objectives to play, and general things like that. GW came out with a Kill Team Halloween horde mode thing... and that was fun. Something silly, and fun every now and then would be nice.

More stuff like "Take The Station" would be fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...