Jump to content
shadowfriend

Enough players around for V2?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, shadowfriend said:

Well...saying the collection is huge is pretty much an understatement ;) - just as an example we have 21 TIE-fighters , 11 Interceptors, 6 Firesprays, 8  Y-wings and so on and so on. And since we play custom format and epic only we need the dials and cards for all of em.

And yes - we would of course buy them at the local store completely. Maybe this will prevent they keep on thinking about dropping x-Wing.

If you play custom and epic formats only, then there's not really a reason to convert.

Convert if you are participating in the larger X-wing community, in tournaments, or want to keep collecting the new stuff (like the two new factions) that will only be available in 2.0.  But if you're doing your own thing in a small community and are happy with it, you should not feel pressure to convert.

For the sake of the larger X-wing community I think we'd like to see as many people playing as possible, and it's encouraging to see new faces come to events because they came in or returned to the game because of 2.0. So we'll welcome you but don't feel like you have to change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

from what ive seen the only players who converted were tournament players.  casuals mostly stuck with 1.0

If your are talking about your local FLG then I find it odd, as the casual players always look to the top/tournament players and copy what they are doing. 

If you are talking about elsewhere, then you are just plain wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedHotDice said:

If your are talking about your local FLG then I find it odd, as the casual players always look to the top/tournament players and copy what they are doing. 

If you are talking about elsewhere, then you are just plain wrong.

Having seen some of the same in my local community, he might be less wrong than he seems at first sight. 

 

Here, a handful of casuals complained that 2.0 is a blatant cash grab and decided to stick to 1.0. They never played competitively enough to actually feel the issues that brought about 2.0, so to them it did feel like 'pay more cash just to keep playing with our toys'. 

 

Just like in every other game that switches to a new edition, there will be groups that decide to stick to the old one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

Convert if you are participating in the larger X-wing community, in tournaments, or want to keep collecting the new stuff (like the two new factions) that will only be available in 2.0.  But if you're doing your own thing in a small community and are happy with it, you should not feel pressure to convert.

Of course I want to keep on collecting and playing new ships. Since finally the Aethersprite is around I can't wait for flying "her". And I am pretty optimistic that the N1 will join the armada too ;)

 

Thanks once more for all the replies. I am really glad the most communities converted and the future of the game seems to be safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 11:57 AM, shadowfriend said:

When I and my friend convert to V2 that means spending 500-700€ just to get the old ships to V2 (without buying the new ones).

This is extremely unnecessary.

You don't need to convert your entire existing collection to second edition.  Why would you?  How many times did you fly your entire existing collection together in first edition?

99% of the time you will be flying a standard 200 point squad - 7 ships max (with a TIE Swarm).

A 2nd edition Core set and ONE of each conversion kit - maximum - is all you really need, and will give you enough 2nd edition content to field any number of combinations of your existing collection ships.

It might also be a good time to look at focusing your collection - rather than buying everything at once, for example, pick up the Core set and a single conversion kit each, and see how you get on with a single faction to start.  You don't have to buy everything at once.

Literally the ONLY reason to convert your entire first edition collection to 2nd edition is OCD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

99% of the time you will be flying a standard 200 point squad - 7 ships max (with a TIE Swarm).

As mentioned before this is just wrong. I play custom format and epic almost exclusively. Around 200-400 points (V1) without epic ships. So 20 TIEs on the table can happen and did happen already. Also 10 Interceptors or 6 punishers and so on and so on. Also I share my ships with others that don't own any to show em the beauty of x-wing ;)

 

40 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

You don't have to buy everything at once.

I forgot to mention that there is a sellout at my store with up to 30% reduced prices (+10% extra reduce due to my "premium-customer"-bonus). That is the reason why thinking about converting now and not later on.

 

Edited by shadowfriend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Literally the ONLY reason to convert your entire first edition collection to 2nd edition is OCD.

Or if one is concerned that the conversion kits won't be reprinted, and want to make sure their entire collection is covered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My whole town (Krakow - Poland) converted immediately. Ppl are hyped, lots of new players are showing up. But it vary from town to town: if old community isn't very active and friendly there are no new players at all. 

We're hyped also for double format: Hyperspace/Extended. More list puzzles to solve :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

Or if one is concerned that the conversion kits won't be reprinted, and want to make sure their entire collection is covered.

Again, that's more down to the mindset of the player than actual necessity.

57 minutes ago, shadowfriend said:

As mentioned before this is just wrong. I play custom format and epic almost exclusively. Around 200-400 points (V1) without epic ships. So 20 TIEs on the table can happen and did happen already. Also 10 Interceptors or 6 punishers and so on and so on. Also I share my ships with others that don't own any to show em the beauty of x-wing

Well, if you're almost exclusively playing unofficial or currently unsupported formats and usually supply the ships for other players when you do, why the concern about if other players are converting or not?

Especially wheb the rest of the player base frequenting stores are unlikely to be exclusively playing epic or custom formats and instead will be playing standard squad rules?

I'm not trying to start an argument or criticise here, I simply fail to see any logic in buying multiple conversion kits when it's highly likely that most of the contents will ebd up sitting idle for the vast majority of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Well, if you're almost exclusively playing unofficial or currently unsupported formats and usually supply the ships for other players when you do, why the concern about if other players are converting or not?

As already written before I want to be sure the game will continue and not fall apart after V2 is printed. In this case it would just be a waste of money. If you want to attract new players to the game you need to play at least with the ships as they are now and not as they once have been. 

To make it easier to understand. I pick all my stuff and go to the store or invite friends to my house. I find noone playin x-wing or noone with ships. So I share my ships to play. Then (happens rarely but happens). Another two players are interested in learning or playing. So those get some of my ships too. A big collections makes it possible to supply up to 6 players with all they need to start playing.

For me personally it is important to know if the game has a future since I of course want all the new ships too. In the same amounts as I bought ships before. But if the game would not have a future it wouldn't make any sense to convert just to be able to play 4 new ships. I hope that makes it easier to understand.

 

Have a nice Sunday.

Edited by shadowfriend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 7:59 AM, flooze said:

If you want to do your local store a favor go ahead. But why do you want to buy 10+ conversion kits? 

2 conversions per a faction for 5 factions is 10, plus core set. if you played swarms in 1.0 its a pretty common problem to need 2 or 3 conversions.  for my collection its over 50% conversion cost for 3 of the 5 factions, i would need to buy 7 plus a core even without counting epic or 

for example simply to convert 7 scyks, a playable 196 point list in 2.0, requres 2 conversions and a core set

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vontoothskie said:

For example simply to convert 7 scyks, a playable 196 point list in 2.0, requres 2 conversions and a core set

Wow, great example, that's list I would never expect to see on a table, anywhere, ever (outside of Epic, that is).

If you were really intent on running a list like that you could always borrow/trade for the pilot cards and dials.  Because buying a second conversion kit for a list you're likely to run - what, probably once? - seems like a bit surplus to requirements...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 6:10 PM, JJ48 said:

He said Oslo, so I think he's in Minnesota, Florida, or Norway.

I'm in Dayton, OH, and things do seem pretty slow here, but part of that may just be that Second released during the school year, so high schoolers and college students have other priorities.  We'll see how things look next summer.

Thanks for chiming in ;)

I always forget that settlers weren't so inventive with names for their cities... Oslo, Norway it is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Wow, great example, that's list I would never expect to see on a table, anywhere, ever (outside of Epic, that is).

If you were really intent on running a list like that you could always borrow/trade for the pilot cards and dials.  Because buying a second conversion kit for a list you're likely to run - what, probably once? - seems like a bit surplus to requirements...

To be fair, I've seen 6 Scyk, 6 Quadjumper, 4 B-Wing, and 5 A-Wing lists being flown locally quite a bit.  It might just be my local meta being weird, but folks are doing a lot of swarming generics in my neck of the woods. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Jarval said:

To be fair, I've seen 6 Scyk, 6 Quadjumper, 4 B-Wing, and 5 A-Wing lists being flown locally quite a bit.  It might just be my local meta being weird, but folks are doing a lot of swarming generics in my neck of the woods. 🙂 

If you all mark your dials, and get along well enough as a group, trade dials for the game and gather them back in when you're done.

There are a lot of ships I do not have that I got dials and cards for in the conversion packs. I am all up for trading them long-term to people who play later-wave ships than I have. I'm unlikely to buy too many more ships, and I could always try asking around if I did want to buy more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...