Iltmar

Vladr vs elusive on a flak

Official ruling about valdr against an elusive creature on a flank. 

The +2 damage are considered ability damage that bypass the elusive ability (so that the 6 damge from strength are prevented by elusive da  the +2 dealt) or  is bounded to the 6 fisical damage that has to be dealt in order ti get the +2 damage?

I'm curious how you come to that decision.

The rules clearly state that elusive does not stop ability damage. It only stops damage from power 

Why is valdrs damage not ability damage? And why would it not say +2 power until end of turn?

It is clearly a direct damage symbol.  And if power does 0 damage, 0+2 is still 2.

Valdr deals +2 damage while attacking an enemy creature on the flank. You deal damage in a fight, and if you are attacking a creature on a flank you deal whatever damage you normally deal plus 2 more. See "Fight" on page 7 of the rulebook. His ability adds to the damage dealt during a fight with a creature on a flank.

Page 10. Elusive - "The first time a creature with the elusive keyword is attacked each turn, it is dealt no damage and deals no damage to the attacker in the fight."

Valdr attempting to fight any creature with elusive on a flank would normally deal (6+2) 8 damage, but it is negated by Elusive.

I feel it is pretty clear. If you still disagree I'd recommend submitting an Official Rules Form as you won't get one from a forum post. I also promise not to say "I told you so" when you get a reply. :P 

Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2019 at 12:16 PM, krimson62 said:

I'm curious how you come to that decision.

The rules clearly state that elusive does not stop ability damage. It only stops damage from power 

Why is valdrs damage not ability damage? And why would it not say +2 power until end of turn?

It is clearly a direct damage symbol.  And if power does 0 damage, 0+2 is still 2.

It cannot be + power as that would let valdr survive longer, since power=hits that can be sustained. It's a damage symbol, but there is no "direct damage" concept outside of our own cultural shorthand for what that means.

There are other concepts that would be better used to indicate that the 2 damage bypasses elusive: "when attacking a flank creature, valdr gains assault 2" or "before fight: if attacking a flank creature, deal 2 [dmg]". Since these common features were not used, we can infer valdr is intended to function differently.

The added damage is then most likely a buff to the damage dealt by valdr's power, and is blocked by elusive.

Edited by saluk64007