Greedo_Sharpshooter

Lets make Brobots great again.

I win roughly 80% of my matches with dual IG-88 and I play them at least once a week and against some dangerous lists, like Redline/Whisper/other.  Most of my victories end up with scores such as 200-50 or 200-100, but I've hit several 200-0 and a few 200-150 (rare).

As others have pointed out, IG-88 does not shine in terms of action economy, so I suggest not even trying to.  Those killer robots do not have action economy, but with advanced sensors on IG-88B and IG-88A, they have action "consistency".  Once you get past the initial alpha strike (and learning how to deal with that part is where the trick lies), if you managed to wether the storm, those little buggers will get behind an opponent and be a royal pain.

Got to find the right strategy though, which is not always easy.

I realized that my post was a bit too vague, so let me give a concrete example.  If a dual IG-88 comes face to face with the typical Whisper (with Vader crew) and Redline (with protons and possibly advanced sensors or any number of combos), here are some of the things you should keep an eye out for (I’m deliberately not mentioning the third element of the Imperial list because it can vary a lot).

The common mistakes:
-    If you just rush ahead and end up at range 2 of both, you made a grievous mistake.  Vader activates, Redline will probably have a focus and target lock, one IG-88 will get focus fired upon, juke will be active.  Odds are, a crit will get through.
-    Frantically running away without a plan.  Redline will catch up to you and you won’t fire back.  At PS5 with a boost, he moves about as much as an IG-88.  Running away can be a good plan, but you have to make sure that you don’t manoeuver in a way that cuts off your s-loops or k-turns.  Otherwise it takes extra round to turn around and you’re still not firing back.

A better scenario:
-    The enemy engages at range 3 and must fire through an asteroid or debris.  Transferring the calculate token to the most vulnerable IG-88 will probably net good results and mitigate some of the damage.  Closing in on the next round will limit the impact of Redline since in most cases, you can get in range to limit another proton torpedo strike.

The best scenario:
-    Redline can only engage 1 IG-88 and Whisper is out of range (because with his decloak, it can be hard to manoeuver a tight asteroid field and Redline hates making red stops to wait for him because if he makes a mistake and you rush him, he loses his alpha strike).  If you can arrange the shot so that Redline has only 1 viable target then that IG-88 can do an evade action instead and get a calculate token from his backup.  If you manage to pull that off, odds are you can make your opponent waste a missile for 1 or zero damage, depending on luck.  That is a nice trade since you can close in next round and deny Redline some of his nice shots.  More importantly, you made him lose a proton torpedo, which costs him his alpha strike and will probably force him to reload later.

The overall theme of the thing is that 2 IG-88 usually cannot kill Redline before he unloads his initial salvo.  With that in mind, make sure that the salvo does not hurt as much and only then close in on your target.

Look at how good the abilities are on the sub-i5 ships that are competitive now. Sabine/Palob/4-LOM/Phamtoms (Juke Sigmas) all get economy comparable to 2 free actions/turn. The best brobot ability is a free evade if you boost OR share-a-calc, that doesn't really stack up.

The stat-line and double calc are both solid, and the ability share has inherit potential, but they need a better synergy to emerge before they can be competitive.

I think brobots are pretty good at the moment, especially as you can put in an escape craft to sit back and coordinate evades etc.

When I last flew against them, they were incredibly annoying with their 3 green dice, double calculates, amazing dial and abilities. For example the ones I was up against had tractor beams, which would shoot out if the main blaster failed to hurt. The amount of times my ties were put onto rocks....   In the end I didn't manage to kill either brobot but got 1/2 points and won on points.. just....

Edited by william1134