Da_Brown_Bomber

Lets make Brobots great again.

Posted (edited)

Brobots seems to have dropped in popularity. Just too many options for scum i guess.

Do you think brobots still have the tools to be competitive in 2.0?

In 1.0 the action economy provided by Push the Limit made the Aggressor Assault Fighter one of the most feared in the galaxy (ok maybe not quite that feared but they were REALLY strong ships with advanced sensors and boost repositioning capabilities beyond many other ships.

The addition of the the L3-37 Escape Craft could be good in a brobots list.

Does anyone have a good brobots squad list for 2.0?

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

They have some serious limitations relative to their 1.0 counterparts:

• Advanced Sensors no longer enables 'free' actions since it limits you to a single action
  • They have limited linked actions - only an effective calculate/calculate (universal) and boost/evade (IG-88C) - though these linked actions are (unusually) white
  • Their stock-in-trade, the Heavy Laser Cannon, is now much harder to get a shot with
  • Glitterstim is no longer a thing (although how robots were supposed to take drugs god only knows)

The saved points are not enough for a 3rd aggressor, so you're still stuck with 2.

Things gained:

• Access to the (unique) cloaking device
  • IG-88A's ability to play pass-the-parcel with calculate tokens
  • All bombs and mines now have multiple charges
  • All cannons are now quite a bit cheaper and gain the range 1 bonus if they can be fired there

If you don't want to throw in an escape craft, I think going control-heavy (rigged cargo, conner nets, ion cannons) might work.

Posted (edited)

I think this would be rubbish, but might be fun too.

IG-88B — Aggressor Assault Fighter 70
Juke 4
Fire-Control System 3
Ion Cannon 5
IG-2000 2
Ship Total: 84

IG-88C — Aggressor Assault Fighter 70
Juke 4
Fire-Control System 3
Ion Cannon 5
IG-2000 2

Lando Calrissian — Escape Craft 26
Tactical Officer 2
Ship Total: 28

Total 196

Edited by Archangelspiv

i think the loss of the 1.0 HLC steers brobots towards control with tractor beam and ion cannon. 2 ship lists need some way to generate extra shots using gunners or a way to push thru damage. In theory Juke could work but without some additional action economy its going to lack tempo... 3, 4 and 5 ship lists will just be able to take it apart with relative ease.

pairing an IG-88 with a firespray seems ok but again, ur throwing a lot of points into a 2 ship list that is going to be vulnerable to blocking, losing actions and stress.

Tried Brobots a few times once 2.0 dropped. Here’s some thoughts...

As a 2 ship list they dont bring enough firepower, overall 2.0 has caused most lists to feature 1 extra ship when compared to 1.0 and the lack of various 1.0 cards gives Brobots no options with a 2 ship list.

The escape craft seems like the perfect 3rd ship, but it is extremely slow compared with brobots and if you take ig88c for the boost->evade it is near impossible. Your escape craft will spend most game desperately chasing your brobots, and dying fast because the escape shuttle is very squishy too.

I also tried the scum falcon to slightly more success, but lack of firepower made me count it as a failure.

Granted you may find different results if you don’t use ig88c as I was going boost->evade every turn to use juke and  whatever of my 3 ships was not in the fight would share calculate tokens so my ship in the midst had 1 evade and 1 calculate.

Ideas for next time are possibly near naked ig’s with a pair of mining ties as the ties should have no problem keeping up and a 4 ship list with 2 brobots is tempting.

I think your extra ship/ships needs to move at speed 4 to keep up with boosting ig’s, but I’m going to try it with mining ties because they can go 5 if they really get left behind.

Medium bases still move far especially while boosting.

I played this a while ago and had some fun with it:

IG-88B — Aggressor Assault Fighter 70
Juke 4
Fire-Control System 3
Ion Cannon 5
IG-2000 2

IG-88C — Aggressor Assault Fighter 70
Juke 4
Fire-Control System 3
Ion Cannon 5
IG-2000 2

Jakku Gunrunner — Quadrijet Transfer Spacetug 28
Tobias Beckett 2
Ship Total: 30

Use Beckett to control an approach, and dive in hard and fast. Actually brought the tug up behind to engage when my opponent k-turned past me. If the primary misses, ion control + the threat of the tug is not insignificant. Yes, action economy can be an issue, but there's little to be done about that. Take the TL early if possible, then dive in with boost+evade, triggering Juke, or double calculate depending on the situation.

1 hour ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

Medium bases still move far especially while boosting.

(Disclaimer: I haven't put Brobots on the table in 2E, but I have flown against them.  I was quite good with them in 1E.)

I think that the loss of speed hurts them, honestly.  The anti-synergy with Advanced Sensors is pretty brutal, too.  They got significantly weaker (there are several other ways), and the cost didn't come down.  In a meta with ubiquitous Proton Torpedoes carried by I5+ pilots, you can fairly easily lose 40- to 50-percent of your list on first engagement.

It's pretty daunting, IMO.  It could change, but as things are right now ...

I have a friend that has had success using IG-88 A/B and L337 with IG-88D crew. He'll pass calculates to the most threatened ship and it seems to work well for him. I don't remember the exact loadouts for A & B but I do know he's using Elusive, Advanced Sensors and the IG-2000 Title on both. This, with L337, comes in at 192 points, leaving 8 points for options.

I quite like the look of this. Its very simple, you can always trust many green dice to get you out of trouble.

Fang Fighter - Zealous Recruit - 44 Zealous Recruit - (44)

Aggressor Assault Fighter - •IG-88B - 78 •IG-88B - Brutal Battledroid (70) Trick Shot (1) Ion Cannon (5) IG-2000 (2)

Aggressor Assault Fighter - •IG-88D - 78 •IG-88D - Deadly Device (70) Trick Shot (1) Ion Cannon (5) IG-2000 (2)

Ignore the Zealous Recruit at your peril, he's probably the key.

I've been working on this... not entirely successful, but good learning experience.

I've been meaning to swap out HLC with Ion, maybe some mines. 

Escape Craft - •L3-37 - 30
    •L3-37 - Droid Revolutionary (22)
        Trick Shot (1)
        Tactical Officer (2)
        Hull Upgrade (5)

Aggressor Assault Fighter - •IG-88B - 85
    •IG-88B - Brutal Battledroid (70)
        Outmaneuver (6)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Heavy Laser Cannon (4)
        IG-2000 (2)

Aggressor Assault Fighter - •IG-88D - 85
    •IG-88D - Deadly Device (70)
        Outmaneuver (6)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Heavy Laser Cannon (4)
        IG-2000 (2)

Total: 200/200

32 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

I quite like the look of this. Its very simple, you can always trust many green dice to get you out of trouble.

Fang Fighter - Zealous Recruit - 44 Zealous Recruit - (44)

Aggressor Assault Fighter - •IG-88B - 78 •IG-88B - Brutal Battledroid (70) Trick Shot (1) Ion Cannon (5) IG-2000 (2)

Aggressor Assault Fighter - •IG-88D - 78 •IG-88D - Deadly Device (70) Trick Shot (1) Ion Cannon (5) IG-2000 (2)

Ignore the Zealous Recruit at your peril, he's probably the key.

was thinking along these lines but with capt seevor. thats the control version of ur list. i think it will lacka bit of firepower from the mining guild tie but the denying of actions could be a deterrent for them to attack seevor?

3 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Things gained: Juke.  Things lost: the ability to combo Juke with any other mods on both ships in a single round.

This is not a point in the brobots' favour.

I would only ever use Juke with an attached coordinating ship in the list. As you rightly pointed out, you are relying on natural dice to work in your favour otherwise. That only ever goes well for your opponent.

1 hour ago, Archangelspiv said:

I would only ever use Juke with an attached coordinating ship in the list. As you rightly pointed out, you are relying on natural dice to work in your favour otherwise. That only ever goes well for your opponent.

That, or a Quadjumper with IG crew with A in the list.

Juking with two attacks from B gives you two tries, at least (and two jukes)

5 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

was thinking along these lines but with capt seevor. thats the control version of ur list. i think it will lacka bit of firepower from the mining guild tie but the denying of actions could be a deterrent for them to attack seevor?

I don't know. Maybe. Personally, I would probably just focus a portion of fire and kill that TIE so quickly. The Fang is a different proposition entirely, I'd almost be wanting you to go for it. If it is ignored, it's taking chunks out of things and it's too late to do anything about it.

What I'm interested in trying is IGB, the Recruit and a Bounty Hunter with IG crew. Similar idea but more beef and arc in the list. Can fit Adv Sensors on the IG then, I think.

Posted (edited)

Been experimenting with this, pretty successfully against a good chuck of the prevailing lists. Though, really reliant on positioning and still has the same few weak points as mentioned above;

200 /200 pts
4 •IG-88B (70) - Aggressor Assault Fighter
    Marksmanship (1)   Fire-Control System (3)   Heavy Laser Cannon (4)   Tractor Beam (3)

4 •IG-88D (70) - Aggressor Assault Fighter
    Marksmanship (1)   Fire-Control System (3)   Heavy Laser Cannon (4)   Tractor Beam (3)

1 Crymorah Goon (32) - BTL-A4 Y-wing  
    Ion Cannon Turret (6)

Edited by Synthetix

The Advanced Sensors change in 2.0 has hurt them the most as a 2 ship list. They are still fast but can no longer take advantage of the AS boost and evade combo to a S-loop.
Still, it will only take an addition of a "tech slot" on them to make them a great 2 ship list again.

As a 3 ship list they are pretty solid IMO as I mentioned in a past thread too:

By far my fav list with them so far is A+C+Palob:

Palob Godalhi + IG-88D + Engine Upgrade
IG-88A + Juke + IG-20002
IG-88C + Juke + IG-20002

I used to fly them a lot in 1.0, I tried them a few times in 2.0 with mixed results.  The smaller base makes them a little slower but they can weave through obstacles easier.  Like others have already mentioned, losing their 1.0 action efficiency hurts them the most.

I never settled on a favorite talent, but I would avoid any cards that rely on the bulls eye arc because of them being I4 and plenty of popular ships have re-position actions.  A case can be made for the likes of Crackshot because it is cheap and you may force your opponent to barrel roll or boost out of your bulls eye to avoid it rather than staying put and taking an Evade or Focus

Adv Sensors is still great on them, though a little worse for Charlie and a little better for Alpha because of the one action rule.  The tough part that I found was that their offense is just average three red dice.  This is tough to deal with when a pair of them are the majority of your list.  FCS 2.0 is helpful, but then again it is tough to find the opportunity to grab the Target Lock without eating a load of damage because you didn't Calculate or Evade.  Having L337 in "The Nose" helps, she can coordinate the action for Calcs or TLs for the crucial early rounds so you can get your (much needed) dice mods.  It still comes down to having two real shots and one two dice throw away shot, which doesn't seem like enough to me in 2.0.

Bombs have some utility, so do illicits like RCC or CC.  I haven't play tested much with those yet.

The best I found with Brobots was Alpha +1, Bravo if you want to use cannons or Charlie if not along with Adv Sensors and L337 with Tac Officer, Delta crew, or both and playing hot potato with Calculate tokens to load them up on the ship that looks to be taking the most fire that round.  I've been trying a lot of other ships in the last two months, though the MGT have me thinking about seeing what I could do with a Brobots list again.

I have been running BroBots a fair amount since 2.0 dropped.  I nb have only run as a 2 ship list (no escape craft).

I have used Outmaneuver in this set up, but I do like Elusive.  You will do a red manuever often enough.  Co tra band Cybernetics is just aces.  It will catch people off guard.  There are enough points to add cannons.  Possibly change to add rugged cargo chute of Contraband Cybernetics.   I do enjoy launching the bombs.

BroBots v.2

(70) IG-88D (3) Seismic Charges (5) Contraband Cybernetics (3) Trajectory Simulator (2) IG-2000 (8) Shield Upgrade (3) Elusive Points 94 (70)

IG-88C (3) Seismic Charges (5) Contraband Cybernetics (8) Shield Upgrade (3) Trajectory Simulator (2) IG-2000 (3) Elusive Points 94 Total points: 188