Payens

What I would like to see in 2019

Hello everyone,

I am sure this has been covered already but I have not been on the forums for awhile as life as been busy and well hate to say it but not much as been going on with the game. 

I was able to get in a couple of games over the holiday break and talking with some people it seemed like we had the same thought's/ conclusions to the game and I am bringing those to this forum in hopes that FFG will see it and take it to heart. 

1.  Please don't break the game.  Armada has always been a great game of pretty good balance where 1 thing is not the defacto winner and there are lots of commanders, ships, and lists that work and can win. This is not always the case AKA Rieenkan  but FFG has been good about adjusting the rules to balance it back out without having to restart the game like what happened with X-Wing.  And to be honest I know the community wants it but the SSD has me a bit worried.  That it is either going to be over powered and that you are just going to have SSD vs SSD because they are so over powered.  OR be a flop not worth the points to put on the board and then not worthy of the name SSD.  I think it is going to be very hard to get that ship in the middle ground to keep the game balanced but I am optimistic. 

2.  Can we get more releases please?  I realize that FFG only has so many resources and Legion took a bunch of that this year but the fact that basically nothing got released this year made it pretty stagnant.  I think there are lots of smaller easier options that can be brought out that the development time is short and resources are small to do.  For example the campaign was good.  I personally did not play the campaign but the upgrade cards for the different squadrons in my opinion made it worth every Penny.  And there are still lots of options that could be done with that for more unique squadron idea's, They could also come out with more title cards for the ships. OR even better come out with some new ship variants as with some of the ships you only ever see 1 of the variants.  I only ever see the Assault Frigate B, CR 90 A, since D Caps I never see the Vic 1, the Assault Pelta. I think with lots of these ships you would make some tweaks come out with another variant that is viable.  Like the Vic I you could reduce the number of dice that is rolled from the front arc by say 2 black dice but then make it speed 3 to make it easier to use those black dice.  etc etc.

3. Keep up the good work.  I love armada I have enjoyed every tournament I have gone to and basically every game that I have played.  Even though the game this past year has not had much going on I still find it fun to sit down and theory craft a fleet I will want to play. So please keep this game great. 

1 minute ago, Payens said:

And to be honest I know the community wants it but the SSD has me a bit worried.  That it is either going to be over powered and that you are just going to have SSD vs SSD because they are so over powered.  OR be a flop not worth the points to put on the board and then not worthy of the name SSD.  I think it is going to be very hard to get that ship in the middle ground to keep the game balanced but I am optimistic. 

I'll admit I am concerned about the impact to tournament play, since many competitive archeptypes (Raddus, Sloane, Rieekan Aces, Two Ship)  can't easily be built to built to kill something with 22 hull and deadly flak upgrades.  Anyone who brings an SSD to a tourney has a lot of stuff they simply don't need to fear (except @Ardaedhel, who's probably laughing all the way to the bank.)

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

I'll admit I am concerned about the impact to tournament play, since many competitive archeptypes (Raddus, Sloane, Rieekan Aces, Two Ship)  can't easily be built to built to kill something with 22 hull and deadly flak upgrades.  Anyone who brings an SSD to a tourney has a lot of stuff they simply don't need to fear (except @Ardaedhel, who's probably laughing all the way to the bank.)

Many STANDARD competitive archetypes.  New lists will come out and do well against it, it should be fine. As for Rieekan Aces and Raddus not being potentially good against something, how do I nicely say "GOOD."? Asking for a friend.

Also, we don't know all the rules and everything about it yet, so there's THAT aspect as well. It'll be alright, guys, promise.

Edited by geek19

1 hour ago, The Jabbawookie said:

And so life in the shrimp fleet goes on, very much as it has this past age. Full of its own comings and goings with change coming slowly, if it comes at all. For things are made to endure in the shrimp fleet, passing from one generation to the next. There's always been an admiral living here under the hull, in Admonition. And there always will be.

5 hours ago, Ardaedhel said:

And so life in the shrimp fleet goes on, very much as it has this past age. Full of its own comings and goings with change coming slowly, if it comes at all. For things are made to endure in the shrimp fleet, passing from one generation to the next. There's always been an admiral living here under the hull, in Admonition. And there always will be.

So shrimp we all.

I'd would like to see a convoy pack. Were you have to protect or capture certain ships. Navigate the supply convoy to the next jump and objective is to have 50% survival rate. This could use just one mat and lower points. 

Maybe a shipyard level were you must stop a ship from being captured or destroyed.

It would be great if there were a few multi-faction ships like the Strike cruiser.

To be honest I'm not interested in clone wars ships 😖 and even less interested in the First Order or Resistance. 🤢🤮

54 minutes ago, Rimsen said:

Is there a reason we need a hard reset? 

One: Armada is incredibly stale

Two: Becoming acquainted with X-wing 2.0 made me remember the joys of exploring a 'new' game.

Three: FFG made 2.0 X-wing the same, only better.

Four: New is better than dead, right? 😀

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Four: New is better than dead, right? 😀

What is dead may never die!

That said, Armada 1.1 would be nice. Just some adjustments on the game based on what they've learned so far over the years about the game (and others they've created) to steady or correct anything thats not in line with the original intent of Armada. No major overhaul is needed.

I know I would prefer a spin on the "we go" system. Where 1st player still goes 1st, and 2nd player 2nd. But both players declare which ship they are activating and if the 2nd players ship *dies* during the 1st players turn, it can still activate. It just explodes after the attack step before making any movement. This puts the kabosh on a zombie demo, Yarv FCT, or zombie ET rams.

Would mean a reworking of the zombielord but I think the rest of the admirals would be fine.

Edited by Karneck

1 hour ago, Rimsen said:

Is there a reason we need a hard reset? 

Current squadron play can be soul-sapping.  The measuring, the fiddliness... it really doesn't match with the rest of the game, IMHO.  Don't get me wrong, I want them to be important, and I want them to stay in the game as more than a vague kind of ordnance, but the way they play is just draggy once you start having multiple overlapping "distance 1" effects and whatnot.

5 hours ago, DUR said:

Current squadron play can be soul-sapping.  The measuring, the fiddliness... it really doesn't match with the rest of the game, IMHO.  Don't get me wrong, I want them to be important, and I want them to stay in the game as more than a vague kind of ordnance, but the way they play is just draggy once you start having multiple overlapping "distance 1" effects and whatnot.

A heart reaction is not sufficient to express my support for this statement. Squadrons are the absolute worst and it wouldn't take a ton of tweaking to make them significantly more enjoyable.

For me I would like to see Clone wars Armada. Can be an expansion to existing format or a new Armada 1.1 game but with a proper campaign style as well as usual mission format.

Also so news on expansions after the SSD in current Armada. As someone new to the game getting product is a challenge.

Finally I would like to see an essentials pack where you can get the dials cards etc but be better value than the core set to  allow guys to buy other ships from the start instead. As other local players see the game as dead and do not want to stump up for the core set.

I think the SSD will shake things up briefly, but a lot of the time will lead to 6-5 results in competitive play so won't end up dominating the meta too much. Could well be wrong though!

And yeah, I gotta imagine they've got a load of Clone Wars era stuff in the works, which could be cool! I'd prefer that to them trying to cram in new trilogy stuff.

10 minutes ago, Dreadnowt said:

I think the SSD will shake things up briefly, but a lot of the time will lead to 6-5 results in competitive play so won't end up dominating the meta too much. Could well be wrong though!

And yeah, I gotta imagine they've got a load of Clone Wars era stuff in the works, which could be cool! I'd prefer that to them trying to cram in new trilogy stuff.

I think the other possible outcome is that the SSD will be slightly OP, to boost sales, then hit with the nerf bat later...

1 hour ago, PodRacer said:

I think the other possible outcome is that the SSD will be slightly OP, to boost sales, then hit with the nerf bat later...

I played three games with a proxy. We don't know all new rules, so this wasn't exactly what we will get, but ...

One game the SSD lost because of the objectives (4-7 I think). One game the SSD lost because the opponent concetrated at killing squadrons and didn't shoot at the SSD at all (5-6, 25 MoV only). One game the SSD tabled the enemy (but this was against a buddy who always gets tabled.)

At the moment I don't think the nerf bat is really needed.