wjcargill

First tournament with Resistance

So, I have my first extended tournament this coming weekend and want to fly a Resistance list. I've been trying to work with all the ships but I can't seem to keep A-wings alive very long and, while I think they're one of the nicest looking ships in the game, can't quite bring myself to make a bomber work. To that end, this is the T-70 list I've crafted that seems to suit my flying and playing style. I'm also going for a strong bid with this list. Thoughts?

T-70 X-wing - •Poe Dameron - 80
    •Poe Dameron - Trigger-Happy Flyboy (68)
        Heroic (1)
        R4 Astromech (2)
        Integrated S-foils (Closed) (0)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)

T-70 X-wing - •Lieutenant Bastian - 51
    •Lieutenant Bastian - Optimistic Analyst (48)
        R3 Astromech (3)

T-70 X-wing - •Ello Asty - 59
    •Ello Asty - Born to Ill (56)
        Heroic (1)
        R4 Astromech (2)

Total: 190/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Posted (edited)

imho imperials strongest options right now are bomber alpha strike lists (mostly barrage rockets buffed by Capt. Jonus) and aces heavy lists that use Redline, Whisper and Soontir or a list supported by the Lambda Shuttle (all the named pilots are great). You might even see the lambda shuttle supporting 3 bombers or something along those lines.

scum is my faction so im very familiar with whats good. Boba fett/maruader/han gunner is really strong (Most players dont bother with the other named firespray pilots unless they want to make some niche type bomb heavy list). 4-LOM is crazy good, so is Palob... imperial players hate Palob :) . If scum is there u will def see quadjumpers,most likely jakku Gunrunners because they r super undercosted at 28pts and super annoying. Fenn Rau is also super strong but imo hes a bit skill intensive to play well and therefore doesnt get to the table as often as palob/4-LOM/Bobba. Those are the most popular scum pilots. Some scum players swear by Guri, which im actually starting to think is better than Fenn because she is more unpredictable with advanced sensors and those 1 bank barrel rolls she does.

Your local players will fly what they like so you could see some 'outside the box' lists.  You will find out when u get there ;) im always surprised at some of the stuff i see at my local events.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

While I LOVE trip T-70s, I think, by leaving Nien out, you're majorly missing out.

Poe (Heroic, S-Foils, R4, ProTorps)

Nien (Heroic, S-Foils, Pattern Analyzer)

Bastian (S-Foils, R3)

Posted (edited)

Bastian shouldnt be taking lock actions, so R3 isnt getting you double locks. So, only use of R3 would be if a damage card is dealt to two different ships, but then Bastin can only fire at one anyways, and with his ability can always change the lock. So one dude gets a dmg, lock him to attack, then another ship gets a dmg and you want to attack him instead, just move the lock. I dont see the need for R3 when the points could easily go to Black One on Poe to keep him alive in sticky situations.

Also, you may want to playtest torps on Bastian instead of Poe. Takes the aggro off your aces. You dont want Bastian being your endgame ship and if an opponent is gonna hunt a T70, it will be Ello or Poe. So having aggro fall onto Bastian, relieving Ello (or Nien) and Poe to clean up is better. Also, if he fires torps, he can spend lock + focus for full mods, land 1 dmg card and reestablish his lock (FCS style) for the very next round. Its mean versus 1 agility ships that are trying to chase Poe or the other ace. Poe with solo torps is your first shot, so its gets absorbed by enemies tokens. Its a mean late game addition, but I think Poe is mean enough late game.

Just my 2 cents.

And like Greebwahn said, Nien over Ello. If you have the points (which you do) for Nein + Pattern, that is better than any Ello, imo.

Poe Dameron (68)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Black One (2)

Lieutenant Bastian (48)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Hardpoint: Torpedo (0)
Proton Torpedoes (9)

Nien Nunb (55)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Pattern Analyzer (5)

Total: 191

Edited by wurms

13 minutes ago, wurms said:

Bastian shouldnt be taking lock actions, so R3 isnt getting you double locks. So, only use of R3 would be if a damage card is dealt to two different ships, but then Bastin can only fire at one anyways, and with his ability can always change the lock. So one dude gets a dmg, lock him to attack, then another ship gets a dmg and you want to attack him instead, just move the lock. I dont see the need for R3 when the points could easily go to Black One on Poe to keep him alive in sticky situations.

Also, you may want to playtest torps on Bastian instead of Poe. Takes the aggro off your aces. You dont want Bastian being your endgame ship and if an opponent is gonna hunt a T70, it will be Ello or Poe. So having aggro fall onto Bastian, relieving Ello (or Nien) and Poe to clean up is better. Also, if he fires torps, he can spend lock + focus for full mods, land 1 dmg card and reestablish his lock (FCS style) for the very next round. Its mean versus 1 agility ships that are trying to chase Poe or the other ace. Poe with solo torps is your first shot, so its gets absorbed by enemies tokens. Its a mean late game addition, but I think Poe is mean enough late game.

Just my 2 cents.

And like Greebwahn said, Nien over Ello. If you have the points (which you do) for Nein + Pattern, that is better than any Ello, imo.

Poe Dameron (68)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Black One (2)

Lieutenant Bastian (48)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Proton Torpedoes (9)

Nien Nunb (55)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Pattern Analyzer (5)

Total: 191

I really like these suggestions and I think taking some of the heat off Poe really makes sense. Using Protorps after the higher init ships totally works too. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, wjcargill said:

I really like these suggestions and I think taking some of the heat off Poe really makes sense. Using Protorps after the higher init ships totally works too. Thanks!

Get a practice match or two in before moving torps to Bastian. I've only flow him naked, and with M9G8 bot, and he does good work for his points. You may find he gets super aggro'd and Poe and Nein cant get enough damage early and Bastain cant fire the torps. You dont want to just give the opponent 9pts for alpha killing Bastian. And if thats the case, you can swap torps back to Poe, or look at M9G8 bot on Bastian instead. He can lock Nein so he gets offensive rerolls, Poe gets focus and Lock for rerolls, and Bastain can move his lock around. Its pretty cool. Only got 1 game in with Bastian + M9G8, but it saved 1 hull dmg to Bastain turning a hit into a blank, and saved 2 hull on Han Falcon doing the same, and turned a crit to a hit on Han. So M9G8 earned its points just on the defensive side. Add to that all the rerolls Han was getting while attacking and M9G8 is invaluable.

23 hours ago, wurms said:

Get a practice match or two in before moving torps to Bastian.

Well, I did the practice matches for you, ha. Ive been wanting to get Bastian with torps on the table, and this thread gave me a reason. Played two games against Quickdraw, Midnight, Blackout with proton torps. First game lasted about 15 minutes. I flanked with Poe, brought Nein and Bastian in to joust Quickdraw and Midnight. Poe got 2 dmg on Midnight (who locked Nein who I flew out front ahead of Bastian on engagement). Bastian then got a lock on Midnight and Midnight was no more.

g1WQvZ7.jpg?1

Opponent wanted to start over. So we reset and went at it again. The next game was a nail biter. I got video of it and will see about adding overlay and posting it later, but Bastian killed Quickdraw with a Torp in that game. The aggro in both games went to Nein, even the second game, because I always lead out with Nein on engagement to get him range 2 to try for a little more damage. Black One Title was game changer giving Poe a range 1 shot on Blackout to PS Kill him before he could PS kill Bastian. Dont ever drop it from the list.

Might try HLC on Poe and Ello. Many times in that second game I could of had HLC attacks with Poe.

Poe Dameron (68)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Black One (2)
Hardpoint: Cannon (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Lieutenant Bastian (48)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Proton Torpedoes (9)

Ello Asty (56)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Total: 195

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

That's a wicked write up. Thanks so much. I just can't seem to get Nien to trigger consistently and I find I'm forcing to make his ability to work, making his move predictable. I think I'll stick with Ello for now, but I do like the HLC addition.

Played another game with list above against almost same midnight, quickdraw, blackout list.

Loss badly, but not do to the list. Rolled 16 red dice in back to back to back rounds and rolled 1 hit: range 1 from poe, hlc from poe, and pretty much what determined the game was a tokenless Blackout with 3 hull remaining and Bastian fires proton torps gets 0 hits, then rerolls them all for zero hits. Probability of that happening is less than half-a-percent, .4%. Ha.

On top of that, Ello died because i rolled double blanks and triggered heroic for double blanks. One of the worse games of dice luck I have ever had.

I like the dual HLCs. And Bastian continues to keep firing his torps. Have this squad in my bag and will give it a few more tries since its fun to fly.

On 1/4/2019 at 11:25 AM, wurms said:

Poe Dameron (68)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Black One (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Lieutenant Bastian (48)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Proton Torpedoes (9)

Ello Asty (56)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Total: 195

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

So this is what I flew at our local Wave tournament this past weekend (thanks @wurms). I went 0-3 for the day but the first two matches were really close for points; they could've gone in my favour if i had scored more damage. I really missed the I6 torpedoes on Poe and had a difficult time getting them to fire from Bastian. I recall only firing them once all day. The other challenge was lining up HLC to proc. Perhaps with time spent flying the T-70s HLC would be more effective but I think I will use torps when necessary. Heroic triggered more than I would hope to see so that is almost an auto include on T-70s. I do wish Bastian had an EPT. Overall it was a blast flying three brawlers and look forward to getting more familiar with this chassis. Good stuff!