Tvboy

A Comprehensive Hyperspace Banlist

Posted (edited)

A lot of people are still confused about what’s actually in the Hyperspace format, sadly including a lot of the podcasts that many players get their information on the game from second hand. This is understandable because FFG has spread out the information on what is Hyperspace legal across 6 separate documents instead of just having 1 comprehensive list. So here is a list of what ships are legal in hyperspace and which upgrades are banned in the format. 

Legal Ships
Rebel: T-65 X-Wing
Rebel: Y-Wing
Rebel: YT-1300 Millenium Falcon
Rebel: U-Wing, *Saw’s Renegades Pilots ONLY*
Empire: TIE Fighter
Empire: TIE Advanced
Empire: TIE Reaper
Empire: TIE Striker
Scum: Lando’s Falcon
Scum: Escape Craft
Scum: Fang Fighter
Scum: Firespray
Scum: Mining Guild TIE
Resistance: T-70 X-Wing
Resistance: RZ2 A-Wing
Resistance: “Star Fortress” Bomber
Resistance: Scavenged YT-1300
First Order: First Order TIE 
First Order: TIE Silencer
First Order: TIE S/F
First Order: Upsilon Shuttle

The following upgrades have been banned from the Hyperspace format by FFG. To reiterate, you are NOT allowed to use any of these cards in a Hyperspace list. As a rule of thumb if a card was only ever released in a conversion kit it’s probably on the banlist, but there are exceptions both ways so always check. 

BANNED IN HYPERSPACE

Astromechs
"Chopper" Astromech
Genius
R5-TK
R5-P8
Cannons
Ion Cannon
Jamming Beam
Tractor Beam
Crew
Freelance Slicer
GNK Droid
Novice Technician
Zeb
Chopper
Baze Malbus
C-3PO (Rebel)
Cassian Andor
Hera
Jyn Erso
Kanan Jarrus
Maul
Sabine Wren
0-0-0
Sloane
Kallus
Ciena Ree
Darth Vader
Grand Inquisitor
Tarkin
Tua
Jerjerrod
Seventh Sister
Palpatine
4-LOM
Cad Bane
Cikatro Vizago
IG-88D
Ketsu Onyo
Latts Razzi
Unkar Plutt
Zuckuss
Jabba the Hutt
Gunners
Bistan
Ezra
BT-1
Fifth Brother
Bossk
Dengar
Greedo
Devices
Bomblet Generator
Illicits
Cloaking Device
Contraband Cybernetics
Feedback Array
Missiles
Barrage Rockets
Modifications
Ablative Plating
Advanced Slam
Electronic Baffle
Tactical Scrambler
Talents
Debris Gambit
Saturation Salvo
Torpedoes
Adv Proton Torpedoes
Turrets
Dorsal Turret
Tech
Biohexacrypt Codes
Titles
Phantom
Moldy Crow
Ghost
Outrider
ST-321
Dauntless
IG-2000
Mist Hunter
Punishing One
Shadow Caster
Havoc
Virago
Hound’s Tooth

Now when you're listening to your favorite X-Wing podcast and they say something like "I'm pretty sure the Rebel HWK-290 is legal in Hyperspace", you can easily double check this post and then maybe reconsider your podcast choices. 

You can reference the official FFG documents if you want to double check my work here:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/79/5f/795f6f47-2659-4983-bcf2-320ac70c0eed/onlinepoints_rebelalliance-wave2.pdf
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/13/92/13925ada-6fec-481f-8b56-4089ed6a4c55/onlinepoints_galacticempire-wave2.pdf
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/d1/ef/d1effc2a-09f1-4947-831a-02d942f75c22/onlinepoints_scumandvillainy-wave2.pdf
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/06/91/0691980a-ddce-4f92-89cf-9d74ae36c381/onlinepoints_genericupgrades-wave2.pdf
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/e3/7f/e37f76a6-63da-4070-ae47-2c4eb1ece1a6/onlinepoints_resistance.pdf
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/1c/9d/1c9d0582-61d5-4930-b3a0-8483ae32f471/onlinepoints_firstorder-wave2-2.pdf

Edited by Tvboy

3 hours ago, Tvboy said:

As a rule of thumb if a card was only ever released in a conversion kit it’s probably on the banlist, but there are exceptions both ways so always check. 

There are cards in the conversion kits that are hyperspace legal, but I didn't realize there were things released outside of conversion kits that aren't hyperspace legal.  What ends up in that camp?

3 minutes ago, Brunas said:

There are cards in the conversion kits that are hyperspace legal, but I didn't realize there were things released outside of conversion kits that aren't hyperspace legal.  What ends up in that camp?

I think I was thinking of the Biohexacrypt codes that was randomly banned despite everything else from that pack being legal, but I guess technically that card came from a conversion kit. 

10 minutes ago, Incard said:

In the banned crew list, better identify that it's C-3P0 (Rebel Alliance) that's not allowed. C-3P0 (Resistance) is hyperspace legal.

Good call.

1 hour ago, Tvboy said:

I think I was thinking of the Biohexacrypt codes that was randomly banned despite everything else from that pack being legal, but I guess technically that card came from a conversion kit. 

Oh, gotcha! Thanks

Impressive.

If I had a quibble, it's that a lot of the names are short-form.  Tua instead of Minister Tua, or Palpatine instead of Emperor Palpatine, for example.  A lot of more experienced players will instantly know what your talking about, but I figure a lot of folks who are looking for a comprehensive banlist would like full card names.

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

Impressive.

If I had a quibble, it's that a lot of the names are short-form.  Tua instead of Minister Tua, or Palpatine instead of Emperor Palpatine, for example.  A lot of more experienced players will instantly know what your talking about, but I figure a lot of folks who are looking for a comprehensive banlist would like full card names.

It's a good quibble, but I'm going to keep it rough. I didn't feel like typing out every surname, and it represents the frustration I feel towards FFG for continuing to handle stuff like this so poorly that a person like me who doesn't even like Hyperspace that much, feels compelled to type this up. Hopefully this will also improve the quality of discussion amongst the players that speak for the community. I feel like not one podcast that I listened to between now and the hyperspace announcement put any effort into researching what the format actually was. So be the change you want to see and all that. 

3 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

It's a good quibble, but I'm going to keep it rough. I didn't feel like typing out every surname, and it represents the frustration I feel towards FFG for continuing to handle stuff like this so poorly that a person like me who doesn't even like Hyperspace that much, feels compelled to type this up. Hopefully this will also improve the quality of discussion amongst the players that speak for the community. I feel like not one podcast that I listened to between now and the hyperspace announcement put any effort into researching what the format actually was. So be the change you want to see and all that. 

As to being the change, I'm busy at the moment, but if I type it up some time later, would you copy-paste it in? :)

30 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Could we also get a highlight on which legal ship/pilot/upgrade comes solely from the conversion kits?

Why? You can just look it up on YASB or the wiki.

2 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

Why? You can just look it up on YASB or the wiki.

Just to keep tabs on the new player experience. Remember, if someone is getting into X-wing they will likely be directed to the 2nd edition releases. Sure the 1st edition expansions can be found, and we are assuming the conversion kits are not out of print yet. But it will be harder for said player to get ships if they have to find both a 1st edition expansion and a kit. Right now 1stOrder is one of the worst factions to start X-wing with. I guess Scum and Empire is the best. Well Republic and Separatists will be new player friendly since they really don't have any 1st edition expansions needing a conversion kit.

On 1/2/2019 at 11:39 PM, Marinealver said:

Just to keep tabs on the new player experience. Remember, if someone is getting into X-wing they will likely be directed to the 2nd edition releases. Sure the 1st edition expansions can be found, and we are assuming the conversion kits are not out of print yet. But it will be harder for said player to get ships if they have to find both a 1st edition expansion and a kit. Right now 1stOrder is one of the worst factions to start X-wing with. I guess Scum and Empire is the best. Well Republic and Separatists will be new player friendly since they really don't have any 1st edition expansions needing a conversion kit.

Sorry for the late response, but the only HS legal cards that are only found in conversion kits are found in the wave 2 kits aka first order and resistance, aka the factions that only got a single 2.0 release, aka the factions that you basically have to buy a conversion kit to play.

1 hour ago, Tvboy said:

Sorry for the late response, but the only HS legal cards that are only found in conversion kits are found in the wave 2 kits aka first order and resistance, aka the factions that only got a single 2.0 release, aka the factions that you basically have to buy a conversion kit to play.

And the Rebel Falcon.

22 minutes ago, Maui. said:

And the Rebel Falcon.

Yes you’re right, the falcon pilots and the Falcon title. And I guess the striker until wave 3 drops. I was more talking about generic upgrades but sure.

2 hours ago, Tvboy said:

In the Rebel Faction alone, the following are HS legal and only found in the Rebel conversion kit:

Crew:
Chewbacca
Lando Calrissian
Leia Organa
Nien Nunb

Gunner:
Han Solo
Luke Skywalker

1 hour ago, ConomeOnTheVine said:

In the Rebel Faction alone, the following are HS legal and only found in the Rebel conversion kit:

Crew:
Chewbacca
Lando Calrissian
Leia Organa
Nien Nunb

Gunner:
Han Solo
Luke Skywalker

As an Imperial primary player, what the crap?! All imperial crew outside of the Reaper kit is banned, but Rebels get all those? 

The entire set of imperial only crew in Hyperspace

Krennic 

Death Troopers

ISB slicer

One useless, two marginal but potentially effective in the right list. Even Scum got Boba crew at least.

I try to be even and patient about Hyperspace, even as an Imperial player who is disappointed with the offerings, but this legitimately makes me much more unhappy about it. It really feels like the overriding goal of Hyperspace is to make the Empire even less relevan than during peak Dengaroo days.

Ok, be calm. I should have known better than to look at the list of banned cards for Empire, I knew only disappointment lay that way.

23 minutes ago, millertime059 said:

As an Imperial primary player, what the crap?! All imperial crew outside of the Reaper kit is banned, but Rebels get all those? 

The entire set of imperial only crew in Hyperspace

Krennic 

Death Troopers

ISB slicer

One useless, two marginal but potentially effective in the right list. Even Scum got Boba crew at least.

I try to be even and patient about Hyperspace, even as an Imperial player who is disappointed with the offerings, but this legitimately makes me much more unhappy about it. It really feels like the overriding goal of Hyperspace is to make the Empire even less relevan than during peak Dengaroo days.

Ok, be calm. I should have known better than to look at the list of banned cards for Empire, I knew only disappointment lay that way.

That's right, and none of the three are in the conversion kit, they're all from the Reaper, I'm sure you're aware. It's one of my gripes with the format.

Not from a balance perspective, since none of the rebel crew are very popular outside of Nien, but why wouldn't less popular Empire crew also be included? No Ciena Ree, Jerjerrod, Tarkin, etc.. Same with Scum. Reinforces my thought that HS is just a dartboard format.

19 minutes ago, ConomeOnTheVine said:

That's right, and none of the three are in the conversion kit, they're all from the Reaper, I'm sure you're aware. It's one of my gripes with the format.

Not from a balance perspective, since none of the rebel crew are very popular outside of Nien, but why wouldn't less popular Empire crew also be included? No Ciena Ree, Jerjerrod, Tarkin, etc.. Same with Scum. Reinforces my thought that HS is just a dartboard format.

Tarkin/ Krennic is a fun thing too. Not great, and at the cost of Tarkin perhaps not as effective as you’d hope, but it can work.

Plus the mental image of these two flying on a Reaper together is just hilarious to me. It is also the only legal way to get Tarkin in a list. His restriction, and lack of native lock on any carrier, means Tarkin is a base 15 point crew. 

Han gunner sees some play, and I see the occasional Chewie or Magva. Generally speaking you don’t see a ton of Rebel crew, in part because the U-wing is best as a naked or minimal upgrade support, and the Falcon doesn’t really see play.

But have you tried using Jerrijord? Lots of fun. Not sure he’s that good, and definitely not 12 points good, but Duchess does well with him.

6 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Well, yeah. That is why 2nd edition no longer exists as an official format because if it did then X-wing would literally have a One Ship faction. But it does bring quite a few questions, why did FFG only release 3 ships for the Resistance & 1st Order in Wave 2 when in Wave 1 there were 6 ships released. Okay, Scum had a new TIE, didn't know that we needed another scum ship or another TIE. 

One of the more prominent arguments is that Hyperspace was a format that was friendlier to new players. I challenge that argument because of the way inclusion kits were included. The more expensive Wave 1 conversion kits (msrp $50) and also the ones most likely used to buy into 2nd edition have now become somewhat of a money sink with only the Rebel kit giving you access to the Millennium Falcon. The Galactic Empire only gets you the TIE Striker 1 wave early, and as for Scum conversion kit it is worthless as the Z-95 Headhunter which is set for wave 3 is not HS legal. In the meantime as you mentioned 1stOrder and Resistance conversion kits are practically a requirement for those factions which means any new player would also have to hunt down the 1st edition expansions. So we can count those factions out as being new player friendly. So for now the only new player friendly factions are the ones coming out in Wave 3, because there is no conversion kit needed and everything in that wave is HS legal. 

The other argument is to keep the ship count at the same number and it will be easier to balance. But HS doesn't even do that, Wave 3 faction only have 3 ships, Scum has the most with 5 different ships. Everyone else has 4. There was some mentioning of a rotation which I hope that is not the case. I mean go ahead and take away pilot or upgrade cards but leave the models in. Which goes back to my argument as X-wing is a miniatures game, not a card game. 

If I were to make a format I would try to make a real bridge between 2nd edition and extended. All of 2nd edition is included, and only a selected number of pilots included from extended, basically one for each model but not all and not every faction for multifaction ships. This is more what I have in mind as a format between 2nd edition and extended.

Go ahead and tell me why no one would use this but if I like B-wings then let me play with my B-wings. You can have your gunboats if you are a fan of the X-wing vs TIE Fighter games. Currently HS is only a replacement for 2nd edition and it is way too close to 2nd edition to be the bridge. It is the default competitive format for OrgPlay and if they don't use it for Nationals and Worlds then that will be a sign of FFG's omission that the format was failed experiment. Right now I can see why players don't like extended, and absolutely agree with those that don't like Hyperspace. Maybe the community should step in and make their own format for competitive tournaments. There is enough tournaments outside OrgPlay. If we make a better format, FFG OrgPlay may adopt it (similar to what WotC did with MtG:EDH).