EVIL INC

Good Youtube games?

I've been watching youtube videos of games and of the game itself. Am I the only one to notice that the only ones really worth watching are the ones put out by the dev team?

The rest  are spotty, bad sound, outside noise drowning voices out, side jokes and conversations with no explanation of anything and really only good to skip to the end to see who won or lost. 

Is there anyone else beyond the dev team to play games in a quiet environment and explain whats going on as the game progresses so others can watch and learn?

I mean it comes from playing in a game store environment. This isn’t some video game setup where you can drowned out background noise. I mean creators could dub music over the audio but sometimes there is important information that gets lost in video translation. 

The ideal way to go about it would be to do post bat-rep commentary, but ain’t nobody got time for that apparently. 

I have seen a few channels at least edit out dial planning time and such.

14 minutes ago, drjkel said:

Ignore the commentaries and skip dial planning and the like. 

The vast majority is indeed not worth listening to, but you can learn a lot by watching. 

GSP does a pretty good job. Dion explains whats goin on and usually tries to predict what the players are thinking and planning, especially now with his drawing on screen capability. He will get other knowledgeable players like Blair Bunke, etc to kind of comment on the state of the game as well. There is a lot of non-gameplay chit chat but that is better than a quiet microphone.

Trinity Squad Gaming has a bunch of old 1st edition videos, but they actually record the game then go back post-edit and do post commentary. This lets them tell us what they were thinking when they did a certain move, etc. Old vids, but fun.

I also like the gold squadron podcast stuff. Mind though, that they also have videos of their league, which is without any comments. So that might not be the droid you are looking for

9 hours ago, EVIL INC said:

I've been watching youtube videos of games and of the game itself. Am I the only one to notice that the only ones really worth watching are the ones put out by the dev team?

The rest  are spotty, bad sound, outside noise drowning voices out, side jokes and conversations with no explanation of anything and really only good to skip to the end to see who won or lost. 

Is there anyone else beyond the dev team to play games in a quiet environment and explain whats going on as the game progresses so others can watch and learn?

The streamers are steaming for developed players mostly. As a new player you can still learn a lot, it is how I learned with a lot of pauses and google searches in between. There wasn't a big X Wing community in my area when I started, but I was able to learn the implementation of the rules, timing etc from watching these streams. 

I know guys like Gold Squadron Podcast are happy to answer newbie questions if you watch a game live.

10 hours ago, EVIL INC said:

The vast majority of games on youtube are being played as games first, video second. Those few games showing off the game (I'm guessing Team Covenant?) are the exception, being literally for promotional purposes, but most games are people casually streaming their league nights or somebody (cough dion cough) "unofficially" casting competitive games from a major event. Making videos of games that are videos first takes a lot more work, and some people have that as an objective, but then add in the effort to make the quality high and the games interesting... well, if it was easy, more people would do it!

But hey, you could always be the change you want to see in the world... 😁

11 hours ago, wurms said:

Trinity Squad Gaming has a bunch of old 1st edition videos, but they actually record the game then go back post-edit and do post commentary. This lets them tell us what they were thinking when they did a certain move, etc. Old vids, but fun.

Great videos and way above-average commentary.  I really miss TSG, even if they recorded me screwing up at least once a game.

Sling paint used to do really nice edited content with planning phases cut and the game sped up too allowing for commentary to keep pace with the action. It was good. Not sure if they’ve done any v2 stuff. On individual games, I’d recommend this one on First Earth for two good players playing a really interesting swingy game 

Posted (edited)

Recently myself and two others (Kevin Leintz and Walker Darkow) have started up a video series called Mission Debriefing where we do breakdowns of recorded games. Currently we are working our way through the Scum and Villainy Aces League games.  The approach we are taking is one of trying to discuss the maneuvering aspect of these games, rather than just the standard commentary of what's going on during the games.  

We primarily stream the shows on Twitch, giving viewers the chance to interact and also give their thoughts and opinions. Once the live show is done the videos are uploaded to our YouTube channel. 

Echo Base X-Wing YouTube

Echo Base X-Wing Twitch

Edited by JReim

Gold Squadron is pretty good, like others have said. I watch their tournament coverage videos with sound off and CC on because it won't bother my workmates, but even then it is a good source for top player strategy. 

Maybe you've already found them and didn't like the quality, but I really like the Sith Takers from up in Stockport. 

They edit dial planning and other periods of inactivity out, but replace it with separated 'talking heads' sections from the players, giving into insight into the last round, what they plan for the next round and what they expect their opponent to do.

It's really interesting, and the commentary they do during the rounds is way above par compared with most of the streams I've watched. 

I hope they get round to doing some more videos soon.