Dagger71

Where do I get new focus tokens?

New player here.  Bought the Xwing 2.0 core set and currently playing with just the wife before I expand and compete in any retailer  meetups/tournaments.

I'm thinking purchasing 1 X65, 1 BTL Y wing and 1 Tie advancedx1 for our first upgrade.     The only problem I see is that neither of these upgrades provide any new focus tokens.    I'd be stuck with 4 focus to be shared among 6 ships (which can have more than one focus active  among them ).

Are there upgrades that just provide tokens?  I can't find any other than third party who make custom tokens/templates.     

Why would they limit the number of focus tokens?????

Never noticed that the expansions lack a focus token.  That is unusual.  I'm used to the old packs where you get all the tokens you need for the expansion.

An alternative might  be to pick up some third party ones.  Here are some I found on Curled Paw Creatives Etsy site:

Acrylic Focus Tokens

Quite frankly, if you ask to borrow some when you go to meet-ups, you shouldn't have any problems finding people willing to share theirs. And if you mention what you mentioned here, you'll likely get some donated to you. Focus tokens from 1st edition work just as well, and somebody almost always has some extra tokens in their bags floating around.

A good person to ask is someone who you see that has a lot of acrylic templates and do-dads. They certainly have enough to lend you for the night.

17 hours ago, Dagger71 said:

I'm thinking purchasing 1 X65, 1 BTL Y wing and 1 Tie advancedx1 for our first upgrade.     The only problem I see is that neither of these upgrades provide any new focus tokens.   
Why would they limit the number of focus tokens?????

FFG didn't put focus tokens in those ship expansions? That's... not very good.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

They're a puffy sticker that you apply to a penny. They have a nice weight to them too.

I'd suggest people read up on their local and/or national laws regarding modification of currency before applying these to pennies (or other monetary item of equivalent size). Should be able to pick up some washers of the correct diameter at a hardware store if applying these to currency would get them in trouble. :)

Edited by Hiemfire

Thats a good idea hiemfire. I dont think just putting a sticker on them would break the law whereas melting one, cutting one in half or putting one on a train track, or the more likely intention of paper money with markering defacing the images or whatnot. Stickers can just be pulled off with a blade. Still, a good idea to check.

I'm getting ready to go to work so not a lot of time to look, but I did find the following. Both lead me to believe that just putting stickers (that can be removed at a later date such as these) should be fine. Combine that with the penny press machine at tourist sites where you turn pennies into little tokens with park images on them or the quarters at fairs and events that have been cut and carved into necklace artworks and I am led to believe that the laws are aimed at counterfeiting and cheats more than simple re-purposing. Of course, if it comes down to it, you could use plain pennies or other coins alone so long as both players know what is what...pennies as focus, nickles as shields (heads up shield good, tails up shield ooc).

https://www.livescience.com/34286-legal-or-illegal-to-destroy-coins-paper-money.html

According to Title 18, Chapter 17 of the U.S. Code, which sets out crimes related to coins and currency, anyone who “alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens” coins can face fines or prison time. The same goes for debasing – that is, decreasing the proportion of precious metals – in gold or silver coins struck or coined at an American mint.

Similarly, anyone who “mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued,” can be fined or imprisoned as well.

These laws exist in large part to prevent counterfeiters and swindlers from altering money for nefarious purposes. [How Money is Made]

and this....

https://www.richmondfed.org/faqs/currency

Is it against the law to write on dollar bills? 
According to "Money Facts," at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing's website, the "defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both. Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States Secret Service. Their mailing address is: United States Secret Service 950 H Street, NW Washington, DC 20223 

Learn More

20 minutes ago, EVIL INC said:

I'm getting ready to go to work so not a lot of time to look, but I did find the following. Both lead me to believe that just putting stickers (that can be removed at a later date such as these) should be fine. Combine that with the penny press machine at tourist sites where you turn pennies into little tokens with park images on them or the quarters at fairs and events that have been cut and carved into necklace artworks and I am led to believe that the laws are aimed at counterfeiting and cheats more than simple re-purposing. Of course, if it comes down to it, you could use plain pennies or other coins alone so long as both players know what is what...pennies as focus, nickles as shields (heads up shield good, tails up shield ooc).

https://www.livescience.com/34286-legal-or-illegal-to-destroy-coins-paper-money.html

According to Title 18, Chapter 17 of the U.S. Code, which sets out crimes related to coins and currency, anyone who “alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens” coins can face fines or prison time. The same goes for debasing – that is, decreasing the proportion of precious metals – in gold or silver coins struck or coined at an American mint.

Similarly, anyone who “mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued,” can be fined or imprisoned as well.

These laws exist in large part to prevent counterfeiters and swindlers from altering money for nefarious purposes. [How Money is Made]

and this....

https://www.richmondfed.org/faqs/currency

Is it against the law to write on dollar bills? 
According to "Money Facts," at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing's website, the "defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both. Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States Secret Service. Their mailing address is: United States Secret Service 950 H Street, NW Washington, DC 20223 

Learn More

:) Nice of you to look that up. That is here in the US though and there is a chance other regions might not be so lenient in their enforcement. :) Doesn't change that the product @Force Majeure suggested looks **** sweet!

Etsy is a great source for 3rd party components - Curled Paw Creatives' shop was linked above (and they have great products/prices/service) but there are a lot of other great shops so it's worth browsing through all the options to find exactly what you want. If you aren't looking to spend money though, most established players have way more tokens than they need and will happily give you extras they have accumulated. Check with your local Facebook group - in my experience, the X-Wing community is very welcoming.

Wait.  The new expansions didn't come with focus tokens?  I don't recall a ton of them in the core set either.  Very weird choice.

If you like the game and want a bit of bling check out some of the acrylic token makers.  Curled Paw Creatives is my favorite for x-wing.  If you want a cheaper solution I'm sure there are some vet players in your area or on this board who could send you enough focus tokens to tile your kitchen floor with.

+1 for Burger Tokens.  Top-notch.  I have:

(1) ModCubes (Google it) - These are my favorite tokens, ever, and while they're almost entirely portable to 2E, I'd still need to carry some additional 2E tokens.  Once a ModCube set for 2E comes out, I'll be returning to these.

(2) Curled Paw Creatives - Ship ID tokens, turret-indicators, and locks.  These are fantastic.  Get them.

(3) HighbridgeDesign - 2E tokens.  These are very good acrylic tokens.  The designer takes good care to make them look as much as possible just like smokey acrylic versions of the 2E cardboard tokens.  I recommend these ... but ...

(4) Burger Tokens -- ... these are such a perfect combination of heft, visibility, and practicality that they have become my current token-set.  I carry four penny-tubes of the tokens around with me (about 72 tokens total) and it handles any two or three squads I carry.  I bought two main sets and two supplemental sets, but that's a little overkill for most players.  I just like to have extras for my gameroom at home.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:37 AM, EVIL INC said:

According to Title 18, Chapter 17 of the U.S. Code, which sets out crimes related to coins and currency, anyone who “alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens” coins can face fines or prison time.

So every high school chemistry teacher should be arrested? 🤣