DXCrazytrain

GSP Appreciation/Discussion Thread

Posted (edited)

First let me begin by saying I can not afford to be a patron of the Gold Squadron Podcast therefore I, more than most, appreciate how much free material Dion provides to the X-Wing community.

Having said that, I wanted to create a thread similar to the Krayts thread for the Gold Squadron Podcast, in appreciation of Dion for the time, money, and effort spent away from his family for the X-Wing community.

I'd love to see this thread used as a way to say thank you to Dion and to stimulate deep discussions of his videos and podcasts.

At the very least I want to personally say thank you for everything he has done, and will do, and for all his personal sacrifices for us. Thank you sir, you are the best of us.

Edited by DXCrazytrain

To start, let me say thank you for the 2018 year in review, it was a brilliant way to put a helluva year into perspective.

I personally hope you're able to change the background art for every single video.

Once again thank you, thank you, thank you, for everything you do sir

I live in an isolated area for X-wing without any organized play within an hour. I’ve got a family and not nearly enough time for hobbies. The online community keeps me in the game - informed, excited, and feeling a part of something international. Gold Squadron has got to be the most accessible and prolific of all the content providers. I also admire Dion’s hussle and how he’s chasing a career out of his passion for the game. I think we’re all cheering him on in that regard as well.

4 minutes ago, Wraithdt said:

I’m not a twitch subsciber or patreon supporter but I’ve been enjoying all of their free content on Youtube. Really awesome stuff. Props to Dion and the rest of his team for all the hard work they put in. Hope to meet them in person someday.

^ This. Can't watch streams most of the time due to being on satellite internet, so the You Tube videos are great. :)

GSP does thing right. Dion, Will and Marcel are great together. Dion seems to bring a certain quality to his stream presentations where he can explain things very well, so that a novice to a high level competitive player all can understand. Having both Will and Marcel lend a touch of analysis you don't get from other podcasts. Dion is literally travelling the country, and the world occassionally so we are all able to see how the game is growing. I for one am glad he will be able to take his family in the future on these trips.

The podcast is good. Dion, Will and Marcel are good and it's a podcast/youtube channel that everyone should partake in. Dion and the others at GSP keep up the good work (I mean they posted a video today for godsake lol!) 

I like how when I met Dión at the Mynonck Open he was much taller than I expected.

I also like how he puts out videos so regularly.

I like how my kids roll their eyes when I put on any GS videos up on the TV because they think it is boring. Some people watch sports ball, I watch Gold Squadron streams.

I like that his wife supports his hobby and therefore allow us to have all this great content.

I like seeing the tchotchkes on the book cases behind his chair. Maybe we can see them again in addition to the art wall.

I like the give-aways.

I like how the Gold Squadron community is so fun to be a part of (in streamed chat). And elsewhere too.

I like that we have Dión going around the globe this year.

----------------

Regarding the video overlays: Why aren't all the stats (attack/agility/hull/shields/etc.) listed?

Dion, the man, has done some amazing work, spent countless hours on providing X-Wing content. I’m glad he’s essentially turned it into a business. Last time I checked he was at $1200 an episode, but that was 150 patrons or so ago. Plus the twitch prime subscriptions and YouTube money, he’s probably bringing in close to $45,000 in Revenue if not more, not sure on his profit margin, but his investment and his time is paying off.

This is great.  For as much flak as we give Dion and GSP,  it's important to remember that he does this for free, and you can choose to support him if you want.  I don't really watch the quick tips or beginner guides, but the games and streams have always been fun and entertaining to watch, and good experience all around.

At first look at the thread's designation, I thought "Ooh, someone might have found a good strategy/list for the overcosted generic Rebel A Wings" :)

Enjoying listening to Gold Squadron!

And special thanks to Dion for promoting the M3A in the second lastest episode!