Sign in to follow this  
Alyx'sDog

Hyperspace format is non-inclusive towards women of color.

I’ll start this discussion off simply, the Hyperspace format is effectively a large banlist. The largest “local” event that most players will travel to will be a Regional/Hyperspace Trial, and to accommodate training for those, many smaller events will likely be Hyperspace as well. This, combined with the fact that the newly-released ships will always be in Hyperspace, will make it be the predominantly played format.

Star wars has historically been drastically under-representative of both women, and people of color. Women of color are especially lacking in the setting, with literally zero appearances in media in the OT, and only starting to be added to the newer canon recently. While the original underrepresentation may be unintentional and not malicious, the setting should try to be as inclusive as possible going forwards.

I came into x-wing semi-recently. I had been pointed to the books/Comics involving Admiral Sloane by a friend, who said that there was a strong black female character in star wars. I initially doubted them, but found them to be enjoyable and the character to be well written. Star wars finally had a character I could associate with as another black woman in some form other than a throwaway background character in an EU book.

The same friend then mentioned that she was a playable character in the X-wing miniatures game, and that she was not simply a token character inserted to fill a slot: Her abilities were game-defining in how squadrons under her command would fly. I had played a couple games of X-wing with said friend, and decided I would try to take the plunge into the game on a larger scale. I bought a conversion kit

With Admiral Rae Sloane’s removal from the Hyperspace format, FFG has effectively banned the game’s only black woman.

Ummmm...there is always Armada?   😎

Sloane and Brunson are quite defining the Imperial lists at the moment - over-represented in regional events, actually, as a result of how good they are.

swm26-admiral-sloane.png captain_brunson.png

Although the Empire has always been quite welcoming of women willing to work for stability and order throughout the galaxy!

swm29-governor-pryce.png swm22-minister-tua.png weapons-liaison.png director-isard.png

...on ships as well as starfighters!

howlrunner.png ciena-ree.png swm24-morna-kee.png

When I started reading this post, I thought it was satirical.  That impression didn't last long.

ZOMG do we REALLY  need identity politics in this game???  "Representation" needs to be confined to ELECTIONS.  It should have no place in entertainment.

Btw: I want to see Thrawn in a future wave.  Then we'll have a MAN of color.  Namely, BLUE.

22 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Ummmm...there is always Armada?   😎

Sloane and Brunson are quite defining the Imperial lists at the moment - over-represented in regional events, actually, as a result of how good they are.

swm26-admiral-sloane.png captain_brunson.png

Although the Empire has always been quite welcoming of women willing to work for stability and order throughout the galaxy!

swm29-governor-pryce.png swm22-minister-tua.png weapons-liaison.png director-isard.png

...on ships as well as starfighters!

howlrunner.png ciena-ree.png swm24-morna-kee.png

While armada seems interesting, it's too focused on pre-game and beginning of game decisions for my taste. The lessened support/development time is also concerning. 

Also, I have special distaste for Ciena Ree, as a character. 

20 minutes ago, Alyx'sDog said:

While armada seems interesting, it's too focused on pre-game and beginning of game decisions for my taste. The lessened support/development time is also concerning. 

I'll grant that the dev cycle for it is...displeasing to the Emperor with its apparent lack of progress.  But that works in its favor in some ways - the game is much better balanced than X-Wing v1 ever was, and probably comparable to v2 (at least, the 'new releases' of v2 anyway - the v1 conversion stuff rushed out isn't in a great place).  There is still a lot of wave 1 stuff showing up in top tables, with basically everything still viable, and given we are expecting wave 8 to be announced shortly...that's pretty impressive compared to X-Wing.

It is true, though, that the overall feel for gameplay is different.  X-Wing is more the 'react to the table, think fast on your feet' sort of game where a plan is needed but it must be widely flexible, while in Armada...the better plan wins the game.  Many a game of Armada was lost during fleet deployment, with the only question being the degree of the loss*!  Even list building is less important than the plan, outside of how it supports (or fails to support) what your plan for the battle is.

* Which is, FWIW, the other area were Armada differs considerably from X-Wing, and what has me playing it more.  In tournament X-Wing...every game is a dogfight to the death, and a win is a win...often enough a 1-pt win is as good as a 100-(200-now, I guess)-pt win, the MoV only used to settle ties of the endless string of dogfights.  Armada is not like that at all.  EVERY game comes down to MoV and the scenario objectives, with tournaments having 1/3 or more of the players tied for wins vs losses at the end - those points you earn by the different scenario objectives defining the overall placement.

But anyway, I'm rambling enough on a different topic from the OP, and it's an interesting thread.  Representation is important, hopefully X-Wing catches up with Armada some day.  😜

Posted (edited)

To anyone suggestion that inclusion is unnecessary in entertainment...

Without a doubt, Into The Spider-Verse is the best Spider-Man film ever made.  Possibly the best superhero film, period.

It would not have been if it wasn't about Miles Morales--a Black Hispanic kid.

//

Yeah, Star Wars has a bit of a hang-up on brunette white women.   Rose and Paige Tico are a step in the right direction, but then they went Crispus Attucks with Val in Solo... Disney gotta do better.

//

I'm literally a white cisdude named Luke, so yeah, I can see myself in Star Wars.  It's time for other folks to have a turn, since I'm set.

Edited by theBitterFig

Content yourself with the many black ships (sorry, "ships of color") you get to fly if you are playing First Order.  Why, they even have the Silencer, which should be the favored ship of anyone engaging in identity politics!

(Poe's Law is strong with this one.  No, not that-  okay, maybe that Poe)

2 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I'm literally a white cisdude named Luke, so yeah, I can see myself in Star Wars.  It's time for other folks to have a turn, since I'm set.

Basically same boat, here, which is why I always find resistance to the idea so bizarre.

Like...we all agree Star Wars is cool, right?  Of course we do!  IT'S COOL!  And so it's fun to be able to see yourself in the setting.  That's probably half (or more) of the reason the tabletop miniature games are so popular - it puts you in a starfighter cockpit or on the bridge of a starship.  THAT'S AWESOME!

So why the crazyheck would it make sense to mock a person for wanting to have a character that looks like themselves, too?  That's not some bizarre thing that should be difficult to understand - we're all on the same page that this is a very cool story and setting, right?  It should be the most obvious thing when someone else wants to be part of that.  That's not a bad thing that needs to be opposed - that's a thing to embrace, and find a way to bridge that gap so everyone can find a part of this story if they want to.

24 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

To anyone suggestion that inclusion is unnecessary in entertainment...

Without a doubt, Into The Spider-Verse is the best Spider-Man film ever made.  Possibly the best superhero film, period.

It would not have been if it wasn't about Miles Morales--a Black Hispanic kid.

I mean not really? Into the Spiderverse is amazing, one of my favorite films of 2018 and one of the most visually distinct and best visually directed films I've seen in a while; however the fact that Miles is the main character in and of itself is not the reason it is great. I've seen a few incarnations of Miles and not all are interesting outright, what makes it different for Spiderverse is how well acted and written he is. His incarnation is my favorite of his character as is his version of his suit in the film since it has far more character in it than the cleaner/blander comic version. 

I don't give two cares of a character's appearance all I want is them to be well written and acted. 

1 hour ago, Alyx'sDog said:

There are a few female pilots in the hyperspace format. And there isn't any reason to say you can't imagine or say that any generic pilots you run are woman.

default carddefault cardCard_Pilot_13.png

default carddefault carddefault carddefault carddefault card

All the other Tie Striker and Reaper pilots don't have a recorded gender as far as I know so you can imagine that they are women too if you really wanted to.

default carddefault carddefault carddefault carddefault carddefault carddefault card

default carddefault carddefault carddefault card

And most of the other Tie/fos, and Tie/vn aren't confirmed so they could be either one. 

default carddefault carddefault carddefault card

While named characters are nice, I generally find it is more fun to run generics, then you can make up your own details, the pilots, and their adventurers yourself. 

2 minutes ago, DexterOnone said:

Seriously?

Keep the real-world politics out of our Science Fiction.

Your earthly whining cannot be applied to events which took place a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Because science fiction has never been a vehicle for social change, or a tool for imagining ways things could be different than they are. 

That was sarcasm.  

The forum rules demand civility from everyone and for everyone. Feel free to disagree, but do so without insult, whether given directly or through sarcasm.

Simultaneously, it is worth remembering that we come to these forums as an expression of our fandom--for the games and/or the settings. We become fans because of how things make us feel, because of how they resonate with us, and we all find our connections in different ways. Please remember this during your discourse and respect these differences.