TrueMandalorian

A gift that keeps on giving.

22 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Congratulations on the promotion from Wing Commander to Admiral!  Are you a loyal Imperial patriot, a Rebel traitor or undecided so far? 😉

I’ve played two games, both as the Empire. I’ll dabble in the Rebellion from time to time, but the Empire has always been my go to.

7 hours ago, TrueMandalorian said:

Just played my first game last night, and I have got to say I enjoyed it a lot!

I received the core set for Christmas, and played with my nephew on the starter game. It was a blast!

To tell the truth I have flipped sides (don’t tell the X-wing guys) and like Armada more.

My nephew wants to play again tonight.

Congrats and welcome! If you enjoyed a game with the Core Set, than you will have a blast with Armada. Core Set is just a small planet in the outer rim of a nearly indefinit universe of possibilities. Have fun exploring!

7 hours ago, Fallenwolf15 said:

The game only gets better as you add more ships and create your owe fleet lists. When they actually work out your on cloud 9 haha

Do you, or anybody else, have a suggestion for the next ships to purchase?

I would like to expand the game a little to keep it interesting, but I will be slowly buying into Armada. Maybe two ships each side, maybe a squadron pack each as well. We shall see.

12 hours ago, TrueMandalorian said:

Just played my first game last night, and I have got to say I enjoyed it a lot!

I received the core set for Christmas, and played with my nephew on the starter game. It was a blast!

To tell the truth I have flipped sides (don’t tell the X-wing guys) and like Armada more.

My nephew wants to play again tonight.

Almost the same story for me back in 2015, minus the x-wing experience. Received Armada as a Christmas gift and have been hooked ever since. Welcome aboard!

2 hours ago, TrueMandalorian said:

I would like to expand the game a little to keep it interesting, but I will be slowly buying into Armada. Maybe two ships each side, maybe a squadron pack each as well. We shall see.

Fighter packs for each faction are a must. A next cheap option is an MC30 and Pelta for the rebels (If you like squads) and then maybe a gladiator and raider/arquitens for the Empire. Cheap purchases (relatively) and provide two ships to each faction to diversify. 

You are going to eventually need to buy a large ship each side though. Few Imperials fly without a star destroyer…

Welcome!

Glad you enjoyed your 1st game! It's about the same way I got started. It'll only suck you in more.

Don't let the very vocal doom and gloom minority put you off about Armada. The vast majority of us don't feed the trolls.

Balance wise, the game and meta is fantastic. Granted, it's been almost a year since the last wave dropped which means the meta is pretty established but oddball lists make a breakout here and there that really shake things up. Some folk never stop creating. 

Yes, we have a very slow expansion timeline compared to other FFG products, yes FFG is HORRIBLE with communicating with the armada player base. 

But you'll find our community welcoming and able to answer questions about the game or rules. So pull up a chair, grab a cold one, and settle in friend.

Edited by Karneck

12 hours ago, TrueMandalorian said:

Crabbok on youtube has great Armada videos. Including on what to buy first for each side.  He also has great breakdown videos for many of the ships. 

Personally I love the Mc30 for the Rebels and a the Gladiator for the Empire. Those are both smaller ships.

15 hours ago, TrueMandalorian said:

Squadron packs 1 have been scarce for quite a while now, but hold on, ffg reprints should be in soon!(They reprinted the Quasar and Arquitens so the squad packs should follow soon) You can get a pack of Rogues and Villains now, you won't regret it :)

Other initial purchases imo you likely won't regret(no order of purchase) :

rebels: Home One, Profundity, Mc30, GR75(cheap now)

imps: ISD, Chimera, Gladiator, Gozanti(cheap now)

The big ships may be pricier but fill out more of your list as well, so the value is there.

Edited by Muelmuel

Also, for fighters, Imperial Squadron 2 is a very solid purchase. Rebel Squadron 2 is a bit more questionable when just starting out. And yeah, Rogues and Villains is also quite good.

Also, just proxy upgrade cards. That’ll save you a to. Of cash early on. I usually just print out the list I’m running and don’t bother searching for all those cards unless it’s a tourney.

Edited by CommanderDave

Thanks everyone! I have to say I have already had a much better experience with Armada than X-wing when it comes to the community, I really appreciate it!

what do you think is a good number of ships on my part/in total to run the Corellian Conflict? My nephew is really jumping the gun with how excited he is about the game, so I figure I’ll indulge him by finding out how much and how long it’ll take to get to that point.

For Corellian Conflict you should be able to field 500 FP for every fleet at both sides. A Core Set is not enough to do that.

For the case you didn't find it yourself by now. The Star Wars: Armada wiki answers nearly all questions to the game, gives you a good overview for all expansions, ships, squadrons, and cards. There you will also find videos that introduce into certain ships and links to interesting sites about the game!