Da_Brown_Bomber

Is the jamming action better than people think?

I've only ever really used it with 4LOM, and even then it's often fairly marginal.

The limited range is really, really painful, 4LOM is the onyl ship with it where I've really wanted to use it often, because he's the only ship with it who reliably stays engaged and gets actions at range 1 due to advanced sensors.

13 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

I've only ever really used it with 4LOM, and even then it's often fairly marginal.

The limited range is really, really painful, 4LOM is the onyl ship with it where I've really wanted to use it often, because he's the only ship with it who reliably stays engaged and gets actions at range 1 due to advanced sensors.

kk. seems like it would be a good option vs Juke. i also us 4-LOM and agree he is a likely jam action taker. esp since he will often get a free calculate (or two if he has 0-0-0 on board).

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

I think Tavson will get some use out of it.

Or maybe a Moldy Crow Hawk bc you may already have a focus? But I'm not sure on the math of (1) only have a focus for offense vs defense w/no tokens bc you jammed or (2) focus + TL for offense vs a defense with a token bc you did not jam, but TLed instead.

7 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

i guess jam is ur best option other than target lock when u dont have a shot that turn?

Depends on your loadout, and your ship.  For the HWK it's questionable because the jam is red.  For 4LOM it's questionable unless you have 000 as well because your single calculate from doing a red move isn't going all that far.

Jam is often if not usually very marginal, because you're trading one of your actions for one of theirs, and that's rarely going to be a trade that's better for you than them as a result.

Jam on Palob can be amazing, cracking off one focus and stealing another can wreck someone's day.

I'm currently flying Vermeil with ISB slicers on board. Doesn't always get used, but just sometimes, having a jam token that keeps interfering in my opponent's thought process has been nice.

14 minutes ago, Innese said:

I haven't once used the Jam action since 2.0 dropped, and that's with flying a HWK in every list. I did however fly Captain Seevor at a tournament today alongside Torkil and he was bane of each of my opponents.

nice. care to share ur squad? howd u go at the event??

32 minutes ago, Innese said:

I haven't once used the Jam action since 2.0 dropped, and that's with flying a HWK in every list. I did however fly Captain Seevor at a tournament today alongside Torkil and he was bane of each of my opponents.

Mux/Seevor? Sounds tasty. :)

Edited by Hiemfire

49 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

nice. care to share ur squad? howd u go at the event??

32 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Mux/Seevor? Sounds tasty. :)

I ended up going 3-0 with the squad (I'll post it below) which was originally a somewhat identical build with a 75-point Palob, Bombing-Kavil, and 2 permacloak Quads; while fun, it was lacking in a few ways, especially if I lost Kavil or Palob in an early round of fire.

With this new build, I stripped away the cloaking shenanigans, trimmed over 20 points from the HWK-290, moved Kavil from a bomber to a hammer, and added in Seevor. Game 1 I lost a Quad & half Torkil, Game 2 I lost Kavil, and Game 3 I lost a Quad, so in total the most I gave up was 63 points in any given round. I don't remember the exact matchups beyond Imperial, FO, and Scum in that order.

I flew a lot of Torkil in 1.0 and the ability to reliably PS-kill someone (Out to range 3 now!) is what kept me from giving up a lot of points. At the very least, being able to set it up for Seevor to 'jam' someone before they could fire prevented a lot of damage.

Torkil Mux — HWK-290 Light Freighter 36
Engine Upgrade 3
Moldy Crow 12
Ship Total: 51
Half Points: 26 Threshold: 3

Jakku Gunrunner — Quadrijet Transfer Spacetug 28
Ship Total: 28
Half Points: 14 Threshold: 3

Jakku Gunrunner — Quadrijet Transfer Spacetug 28
Ship Total: 28
Half Points: 14 Threshold: 3

Captain Seevor — Mining Guild TIE Fighter 28
Trick Shot 1
Ship Total: 29
Half Points: 15 Threshold: 2

Kavil — BTL-A4 Y-Wing 42
Expert Handling 2
Dorsal Turret 4
Proton Torpedoes 9
Han Solo 4
R4 Astromech 2
Ship Total: 63
Half Points: 32 Threshold: 4

Edited by Innese
Forgot the Trickshot on Seevor

I like that list. Currently fly something similar: replaced one gunrunner by Unkar with pattern analyzer and the other by the outer rim pioneer on the escape shuttle. 

The mux + seevor combo is really nice. I also jammed off critical locks to prevent ordnance being shot in another list with the HWK before. 

I have flown the TIE Reaper a couple of times, even put the ISB Slicer on it once but so far I have never used the Jam action. The reason I take a Lambda or Reaper in my list is because I want Coordinate. The likely hood that I'm out of range to coordinate and in range to jam is not very high.

57 minutes ago, flooze said:

I like that list. Currently fly something similar: replaced one gunrunner by Unkar with pattern analyzer and the other by the outer rim pioneer on the escape shuttle. 

The mux + seevor combo is really nice. I also jammed off critical locks to prevent ordnance being shot in another list with the HWK before. 

I wonder if swarm tactics on Kavil would be worth it? relies on close formation flying nxt to Kavil but you can now strip focus/evade with Seevor b4 Kavil fires. 

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

I like Jam but it's very situational. It can be really good in those situations though. I used the action with VaderVermeil recently, it was the difference between Greer being on 3 health and none. Made me start looking out for those situations more. Even without Vader...

I never really faced it in 1.0 but Reaper Jam spam seemed unpopularly powerful, so I'd be wary of things that buffed it.

4 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

I wonder if swarm tactics on Kavil would be worth it? relies on close formation flying nxt to Kavil but you can now strip focus/evade with Seevor b4 Kavil fires. 

Oooh that's mean

22 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Depends on your loadout, and your ship.  For the HWK it's questionable because the jam is red.  For 4LOM it's questionable unless you have 000 as well because your single calculate from doing a red move isn't going all that far.

Jam is often if not usually very marginal, because you're trading one of your actions for one of theirs, and that's rarely going to be a trade that's better for you than them as a result. 

This. The cheaper and more useless the jammer, or the more things you have which trigger off it, the better.

Imperials can do a pretty good jamming boat:

• Captain Feroph/Major Vermeil (both their abilities trigger off the enemy having no tokens)
    • Darth Vader (because jamming means no tokens meaning they have no choice but to take the damage)
    • ISB Slicer (lets jamming tokens 'persist' so they can mess up the next turn instead/as well)

Jamming at r 1-2 would be incredible

Sadly, not a thing. 

Even the ships that CAN jam rarely seem to be able to do it nor is it almost ever optimal. Either they got the vastly more reliable coordinate, or getting mods themselves, or they're the Reaper and prone to blocking opponents (already denying mods) or losing actions like crazy due to base size and dial

The "best" jam ships are guys like Tavson or Vermeil which can use it without losing action efficiency (Tavson as a free action; Vermeil as his ability is a free modifier that synergizes with jam removing tokens). At the same time, however, they DO NOT depend on jamming because being dependent on range 1 only would suck.

Tavson doesn't need to jam to be effective (it's just a part of his flexible kit) while Vermeil can utilize blockers and Darth Vader (crew). In fact, Darth Vader has been responsible for setting up my Vermeil like 99% of the time (dude needs to sloop, after all!)

Edited by ficklegreendice