Sign in to follow this  
LTuser

gaming 'online'??

At Gencon earlier this year, one of the guys i watched playing X-wing told me of a computer app/site, where one could 'play against a computer AI" via a program called "table top simulator".

Has anyone seen it?  Used it?

That's what i was looking at.  Rather than going through the 'break the mat out, assemble the terrain, the enemy ships, etc, if there was possibly a way i could say, test out a mission using a program.

However, from what i heard about TTS, was it was available only on Steam, and i've had REAL bad juju with Steam in the past, so avoid them like the plague these days.

You also have the Vassal module as an option - the autoupdater feature doesn't make you wait long before content is added in. Check out xwvassal.info for the hub website that leads you to install/play guides as well as the over 350 people X-Wing vassal league (currently in a break between season 6 and 7)

8 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

It only does PvP.

PvP is the best way by far to play, even the best AIs are not goign to be as good at X Wing as even a mediocre player.

I don't agree with this in either sense. Playing against a computer is perfect for goofing around or trying something out. And sure while there may not be an AI yet that can beat a human (without advantages), no one has really tried to build one either. An AI in a computer platform is going to be able to perfectly guess whether or not its ship will fit in a maneuver, whether it will be in range etc... it will have a huge mechanical advantage over a player. It's just a matter of building up the tactical and strategic chops. If people actually try and build one, I could completely see it smoking an average player.

Edited by GeneralVryth

9 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

It only does PvP.

PvP is the best way by far to play, even the best AIs are not goign to be as good at X Wing as even a mediocre player.

However, since i play only HOTAC< we use AI for the imperials.. 

May I suggest the Tactical Droid A.I. system. It can provide quite the challenge, follows all standard rules (no A.I. cheating), supports any pilot/upgrade and it has quick build pilot and squadron cards.

It is a significant improvement over the HoTAC A.I. It currently fully supports 1ed but you can make it work for 2ed with minor tweaks. You can find it here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/161995/tactical-droid-i-x-wing

If you want to test 200 v 200 things out against a robot, then Fly Casual is by the best and simplest way to do so. The AI is the Hotac you're used to. I use it a lot when honing upgrade choices in a list.

But if you're looking for custom scenarios, you're stuck on the table top, for now. 

1 hour ago, Suriel said:

This. Sandrem did outstandig job. FlyCasual is perfect app whenever you feel like spending 20-30min on X-wing.

Plus, it's an app that the OP can use without needing to set up a table, squads and manually move around and roll dice for.

You know, like they asked for in the opening post!  😆

7 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

If you want to test 200 v 200 things out against a robot, then Fly Casual is by the best and simplest way to do so. The AI is the Hotac you're used to. I use it a lot when honing upgrade choices in a list.

But if you're looking for custom scenarios, you're stuck on the table top, for now. 

Dratski...