Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
azeronbloodmoone

adepticon 2019

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Derrault said:

Just like “building character”, it’s only something that happens when a person is doing something they dislike.

I figure it's the same thing as graduating college, trying to get a job, except you don't have the 4 years experience yet so they won't hire you. 😄

 

I guess you can be pretty ugly about hitting 3 colors if you have to. I'm not a fan of forced to paint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

If you dislike painting miniatures, I hear that the vast majority of all games and pastimes don't use miniatures.

to quote from FFG this is a Hobby game not a war game or paint kit game, Hobby means do as you please, if you don't want to paint no tournament should force you to paint. i did email both FFG and adepticon to ask them about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derrault said:

It’s a miniature war game,

Or y'know. It's a miniature war game. Not a map-and-token war game.

I suck at math. I pull it together and (mostly) figure out the rules anyways. This is a multi-faceted hobby. Not using basic math and just pretending which side wins defeats the purpose. Not painting all models to a simple standard defeats the purpose.

1 hour ago, Derrault said:

not a paint kit for children.

And not a boardgame for children to use right out of the box.

1 hour ago, Derrault said:

I also know enough not to be rude to the gamers who don’t.

Not painting their miniatures is being rude. Hence the Adepticon rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Or y'know. It's a miniature war game. Not a map-and-token war game.

I suck at math. I pull it together and (mostly) figure out the rules anyways. This is a multi-faceted hobby. Not using basic math and just pretending which side wins defeats the purpose. Not painting all models to a simple standard defeats the purpose.

And not a boardgame for children to use right out of the box.

Not painting their miniatures is being rude. Hence the Adepticon rule.

The emphasis was it’s a game, not an art kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Derrault said:

The emphasis was it’s a game, not an art kit.

Their emphasis, not everyone's, and not Adepticon's apparently. I don't emphasize either aspect, I think it's both or nothing. It takes a ton of thankless work to run a tournament, let Adepticon have a "dress code" for the minis if they want to. It's sad that they need the rule but that's what CCG's (and heavily leveraged IP's on the part of the publishers) did to the wargaming scene.

FFG, like all publishers, will only go out of their way to sanctify what potentially makes money: Unpainted minis, when we don't sell any paint? Fine. Photocopies of cards, when we use cards as advertising? No way. I similarly don't respect GW's requiring people to only use their brand of skeletons or orcs when other ones will work just dandy.

It doesn't affect gameplay to use fake cards in official tournaments. Everyone has their thing. I'm less cantankerous about this issue in real life than I am online, but an unpainted army is a check in the "cons" column when weighing spending my time to repeatedly play with someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to be honest @TauntaunScout you sound like some of the warhammer 40k people who get upset when people don't paint the armies the right colors. if your playing someone who doesn't paint their minis so be it. if it bothers you then paint it for them for free then. with this being a sanction tournament/ world championship qualifier and the only one there is right now this should never be  a requirement for any war game unless the company that is the maker of the game says they require it. FFG has not as of right now and also they did say you can use what ever you want as long as the T.O. and your other players recognize what your playing with, so with this game you can 3d print zombie troopers and as long as the T.O. and other players say okay then use them FFG stated they will support it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, azeronbloodmoone said:

to be honest @TauntaunScout you sound like some of the warhammer 40k people who get upset when people don't paint the armies the right colors.

That's just idk what, cause there are no "right" colors in 40k. I'd never care if someone painted orange stormtroopers and made up a story about a rogue moff.

11 hours ago, azeronbloodmoone said:

unless the company that is the maker of the game says they require it.

Who are they to tell us? Obsequiousness to a publisher is not something I strive for. I've never found a game that actually "required" painting but... it's just what was done. Playing with unpainted minis is less than half as fun. Once we had a legal army list painted (1000 points for 40k, a few dozen figures for SW, a lance of 'mechs, whatever), that was the end of unpainted games for any given system. An unpainted army at a tournament was unthinkable. Though in the hazy mists of my youth, homebrew (but painted!) units were used at sanctioned tournaments. The TO, usually a GW employee, would say "Oh yeah that seems like a fair cost for that" or not and that was that. My how times have changed. :(

11 hours ago, azeronbloodmoone said:

 

FFG has not as of right now and also they did say you can use what ever you want as long as the T.O. and your other players recognize what your playing with, so with this game you can 3d print zombie troopers and as long as the T.O. and other players say okay then use them FFG stated they will support it.

Just make sure you use official cards (ie, buy our stuff even if you don't use it).  But they don't sell paint so they don't care about that (yet!). This whole gaming scene used to be full of independent, creative thinkers. Now, a lot of gamers don't care that the publishers are being The Man about everything, which is weird. If I wanted that level of passively consuming top-down authoritarianism in a hobby I'd do much more mainstream pursuits.

TO's do a ton of thankless work. Let them set the rules for their tournament. Unless you'd like to take on the time and expense of hosting an alternate world championship qualifying event, in which case I'd support you not requiring painted models. Because I certainly don't have time to host an alternate event. The time it would take most people to drive to Adepticon, is way more hours than it takes to paint 800 points of Legion minis.

All anyone ever does is complain about tournaments and cons without knowing the huge amount of personal time and expense on the part of the organizers that goes into running those things for them. Painting 3 color armies is a pretty small ask compared to what the TO's go through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the requirement is fine and doubt they’re going to extremely enforce the 3 colors rule, like no ones gonna be an idiot about it. As long as they’re not basic grey you’re gonna be fine. The event is 3 months away, if you’re traveling to the con (which I think most are) then you already have the time and dedication in the game to do a little bit of painting here and there before the event, maybe it’ll be a struggle for some but the end result will be pleasing anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m more worried about having the actual cards. At the local FLGS I only bring one copy of everything, sometimes not even that (like a stormtrooper upgrade card) I have a bigger problem with that than the painting requirement. Like if I have the list printed and the points add up and have at least 1 copy of the card that should be fine IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, lukecook said:

I think the requirement is fine and doubt they’re going to extremely enforce the 3 colors rule, like no ones gonna be an idiot about it.

Exactly. I think a sprayed white stormtrooper, with it's gun brush painted black, and its base not-the-same-as-its-feet, would be fine. Both at Adepticon and my snobby rude evil wargmames that I only invite Niles and Frasier Crane to, where we drink wine that's old enough to vote and listen to the most obscure recordings of the most famous classical musics. Cause that's totally how people who paint their armies act.

Edited by TauntaunScout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DekoPuma said:

Speaking of Adepticon, nobody has seen any rules updates, have they? The event description says something about a rules packet being available by Today.

you talking about the rules for the games, don't see anything out yet, will link once i see it, what we are talking about is the model rules reference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lukecook said:

I’m more worried about having the actual cards. At the local FLGS I only bring one copy of everything, sometimes not even that (like a stormtrooper upgrade card) I have a bigger problem with that than the painting requirement. Like if I have the list printed and the points add up and have at least 1 copy of the card that should be fine IMO.

this is hit and miss on this, as it doesn't state you can't do that. but it does state you can't refer to outside sources (minus rule book). so if you have 1 copy of each then per the tournament rules yes you can do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Just make sure you use official cards (ie, buy our stuff even if you don't use it).  But they don't sell paint so they don't care about that (yet!). This whole gaming scene used to be full of independent, creative thinkers. Now, a lot of gamers don't care that the publishers are being The Man about everything, which is weird. If I wanted that level of passively consuming top-down authoritarianism i

I mean, yes, it’s a ton of work to develop an IP (the game system, not Star Wars per se) and then have someone go an pirate it.

More work than, for example, organizing a tournament.

I prefer playing against someone using the actual miniatures for the game for the same reason some prefer basing minis, or painting them; aesthetics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who has been vocal about not requiring players to paint their minis, I don’t think this is a problem. It’s true that FFG doesn’t require painting but this “venue/event” does. FFG does not require venues or events to be run in any particular manner. When you go to a tournament you need to abide by the tournament rules. This is also stated ahead of time so it’s not a surprise to people who are planing to play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the thread where we argue about whether it's rude if people don't paint their miniatures? Or is it one one of the many others that have come before?

Only 2 things matter:

1) Follow the Adepticon rules if you want to play at Adepticon.

2) Don't be a jerk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ImhotepMagi said:

Is this the thread where we argue about whether it's rude if people don't paint their miniatures? Or is it one one of the many others that have come before?

Only 2 things matter:

1) Follow the Adepticon rules if you want to play at Adepticon.

2) Don't be a jerk. 

3) It's possible to hit 3 colors on stormtroopers without going down a rabbit hole. A grey drybrushed highlight on their gun is a 3rd color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

3) It's possible to hit 3 colors on stormtroopers without going down a rabbit hole. A grey drybrushed highlight on their gun is a 3rd color.

That would still fall under #1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...