Lord Ashram

Started playing Armada with my son....

My current 12 year old is my number 1 opponent. He started when he was 10. I have to let him win every now and then but he is getting better. He wants to go to a tournament with me but I don’t think he has the stamina or the emotional maturity yet to handle it. He can get upset when things don’t go his way. Plus, I would need a second cord set for more objectives and a damage deck. 

I figure in a year or so he will be ready to play competitively if he wants to. If only FFG would come out with a essentials box with objectives, damage deck, etc.

1 hour ago, mcworrell said:

My current 12 year old is my number 1 opponent. He started when he was 10. I have to let him win every now and then but he is getting better. He wants to go to a tournament with me but I don’t think he has the stamina or the emotional maturity yet to handle it. He can get upset when things don’t go his way. Plus, I would need a second cord set for more objectives and a damage deck. 

I figure in a year or so he will be ready to play competitively if he wants to. If only FFG would come out with a essentials box with objectives, damage deck, etc.

Take him but have him be your Admiral Piett to your Lord Vader. Have him roll die, reveal dials, flip damage cards. Leave all the movements and attack declares to you. That'd be a good introduction without overloading him.

Both good ideas. Thanks guys. 

My plan was to take him to watch at my next casual tournament. Didn’t think about the dice rolling, etc. 

Open play night is a great idea also. I really should have bought that second cord set on Amazon when it was $49.

Edited by mcworrell

I take my 8 year old with me and get him to roll dice for me. As that’s his only interaction he does get a bit bored by end of game 2. I actually thought 8 would be too young to start (we play X wing edition 1 without upgrades and actions at the moment), but I might let him take command of a VSD using just the core set this Christmas. 

I have a long wait as my oldest is just turning four.  But at least it's not like the game disappears when it's not being played, as long as I have everything I want, it'll be playable loooong after it goes out of print.

I plan on starting him with Battlemasters in a couple years, and that game's nearly 30 years old!

On 12/27/2018 at 12:37 PM, Karneck said:

Take him but have him be your Admiral Piett to your Lord Vader. Have him roll die, reveal dials, flip damage cards. Leave all the movements and attack declares to you. That'd be a good introduction without overloading him.

Hey check this out.

https://marketplacebuy.com/products/star-wars-armada-game?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping

$37 for a core set!!! Like $6 shipping I think.  Maybe worth picking up if you need extra core stuff

21 hours ago, Kelsier16 said:

Is this a reliable site? Would love to buy it

I bought an mc80 homeone for $18.  I got the confirmation for UPS it was delivered yesterday but i am away for the holidays.  I am waiting for my bro in law to tell me it's there.

So unless they sent me a 1 pound box of air I'm pretty sure it's really real.  I will update as soon as my bro checks for me so you guys can jump on this crazy deal with less concern. 

Edited by Rune Taq

As someone who is an X wing player looking to jump in the opening price tag for Armada is the issue. So also interested to hear review on the marketplace webstore.

Edited by DarthFury

I looked at the website, but I have a few concerns.  First, the contact address and phone number is for a Bass Pro Shop in Oklahoma.  Second, the phone number listed to place an order is a cell phone from Pennsylvania.  Third, the registration page mentions something about creating a free account at Ella Boutique, a women's clothing store in Germany.

I would love to order from there since I am just a state away, but something doesn't feel right.

Sorry to derail the thread, Lord Ashram, I just started playing Armada after a few years of X-Wing myself.  Played my first game with my son the other day.

29 minutes ago, Vellcrow said:

I looked at the website, but I have a few concerns.  First, the contact address and phone number is for a Bass Pro Shop in Oklahoma.  Second, the phone number listed to place an order is a cell phone from Pennsylvania.  Third, the registration page mentions something about creating a free account at Ella Boutique, a women's clothing store in Germany.

That's quite a confusing trio.

3 hours ago, Vellcrow said:

I would love to order from there since I am just a state away, but something doesn't feel right.

Sorry to derail the thread, Lord Ashram, I just started playing Armada after a few years of X-Wing myself.  Played my first game with my son the other day.

It's an overstock excess product site I think.  I ordered an mc80, no registration. 

22 hours ago, Kelsier16 said:

Rune Taq, how long did your MC80 take to ship compared to what the company said it would? Thanks!

Ordered it around Thursday before Christmas. Got it in about a week. Not bad