TheOz

For those who are not excited for hyperspace(imperial players? Rebel players? “Variety” players?) can ffg change your mind?

53 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Pure speculation then.

I have another speculation for you: FFG is undecided. If two formats work well, rotation might be an option. If it doesn't work out, Hyperspace might turn into Extended at some point.

I think it's likely that FFG are throwing the two formats out there and "seeing what sticks."

1 minute ago, millertime059 said:

I mean the simple answer to ‘why isn’t the Scum Z-95 Hyperspace legal’ is because Scum already has more Hyperspace legal ships than any other faction.

Which means he won't be in wave 3. And at that point he wasn't in 2 of 2 waves where hyperspace existed. And at that point "because that's how it has been so far" is refuted.

Posted (edited)

I only went into this (rather pointless) point to meet the burden of proof as you wanted: "any burden of proof for it going the other way falls on those making that claim"

1. We can't use 1.0 as baseline
  2. We can use wave 1+2 as baseline (or even just wave 2 IMO)
  3. Of those, we already have 7 ships that are legal but not rereleased
  4. With wave 3, we will also have a ship that is rereleased but not legal

At that point, wave 1-3 (or rather 2-3) will be the baseline, and then your burden of proof is met. Unless of course the Z95 becomes legal during wave 3.

But even without that: all we have to go on is wave 2 at the moment, the only time in xwing history where two competitive formats were being supported*. That is a very weak base for an inductive argument.

*edit: were being supported, and kept going to be supported. Second edition was replaced. Hyperspace isn't (yet). But even with the addition of wave 1, it's still a weak base.

Edited by GreenDragoon

was watching a 'Whats wrong with The last Jedi?' just yesterday. That movie was good, awesome and horrible in diff places but that scene with the jump to hyperspace being used as a weapon really did not make sense and kinda made a mockery of th theory about how hyperspace works. Essentially if that was possible in the SW universe why had none though of it or used it before? might a come in handy for say destroying the death star!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

Burden of proof and all that.

You realize "burden of proof" is simply to determine who wins an argument, and is pretty much meaningless in actually determining truth, right?

1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

That's a good and reasonable guess. Would also mean that the Z95 won't be hyperspace legal in wave 3. It's also interesting to not that Republic and CIS have even fewer ships (announced) than Resistance/FO. Based on that, I'd guess that wave 4 sees more of the 4 new factions. Which would mean that Z95 is still not hyperspace legal for wave 4. At that point it is a really relevant point if your argument is "because that's what we've seen so far".

As with the other ones: time will tell.

But all we've seen so far in 2.0 is each wave introducing new factions.  Therefore, we can say with 100% certainty that Wave IV will introduce new factions!  Occam's Razor. 

Edited by JJ48

I think this thread right now has the strongest argument against Hyperspace without even mentioning that format.

Now of course you can say we don't have all the data on it and you would be right. Besides sometimes the heaviest data is on nationals and worlds. But that being said we don't have enough data for Hyperspace, but we will get the heavy set data once after worlds.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

That SOTL guy must be super fun at parties. We need an SDS label for that Specific Target Organ Toxicity from repeated exposure he got going on.

It's unfortunate. He's a talented blogger who put forth a lot of creative insight on his blog. One of the ones who really helped me understand the game a bit more. But he's kind of lost his mojo and become very bitter. He seems now to solely exist on FFG forums to manufacture divisiveness. Smart guy but he's definitely struggling these past few months. The shame is we need positive and constructive veterans like him to stoke the fires of analysis and change in a more beneficial way, as they can help shape perspective when they gather momentum. But when one gets all vinegary towards other players time and time again it dilutes their potential influence long term. 

What's the saying about reputation? Takes months to build, minutes to destroy. His disposition towards fellow players in the community now is just disappointing. 

I'd still refer new players to his early blogs though. They're some of the best columns ever done for the game. Here's hoping he reconciles his frustrations and finds some daylight. 

Edited by Cloaker

6 hours ago, Cloaker said:

The shame is we need positive and constructive veterans like him to stoke the fires of analysis and change in a more beneficial way, as they can help shape perspective when they gather momentum.

You have an interesting take on it, because I've never seen him as positive as at the end of 2018. He crashed hard with all the ridiculous threads about hyperspace vs extended full of faulty arguments based on pure speculation. I can't blame him, I've also rarely been that frustrated with the forum.

We finally have two formats after calling for it for years, and now that we do it's called a divisive move by FFG. But it is very obvious that one format is built mainly on rereleased ships and another one on the whole collection to not alienate the 1.0 players. And they even split the big events up, again a great compromise.

And here we are, in the x-th thread on page 14 discussing how he is manufacturing divisive? Really? Get a grip.

17 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Not playing hyperspace because you don't like the available ships at the moment is completely understandable!

You are aware that the IMO best tournaments, store champs and system opens, are extended, right?

And obviously 'skip hyperspace completely' is meant as '...until ships I like are available' I guess?

Yeah, I had a really bad experience at the two events I went to under v1.0 and that basically put me off playing any competitive X-Wing.  I was considering revisiting it under v2.0 as, in general, I have really liked a lot of the changes.  But the Hyperspace thing was an immediate negative for me and looking at the schedules for events coming up and how many of the official events are going to be restricted to Hyperspace only basically killed my enthusiasm for getting involved in the competitive scene.

My FLGS does have a great X-Wing club, however they meet on nights that I am not available and the regular store championships always happen on weekends that I'm busy (which I appreciate is my problem, not theirs).

So basically I'm going to skip competitive play in its entirety for the foreseeable future and stick to playing with my friends (I have a couple of good friends who play X-Wing) on my kitchen table.

Doesn't mean I don't hope the v2.0 competitive scene is a success, in fact I hope all the people who are into it have a really good experience.