TheOz

For those who are not excited for hyperspace(imperial players? Rebel players? “Variety” players?) can ffg change your mind?

We have ships and cards out there that the players have paid good money for and should be able to use them.  I dont care for Hyperspace at this time, because I like to fly ships that are not on the list, B-wing, E-wing, Z95 among them.  If FFG did not want all of the ships available then they should not have put them in the expansion kit, and should have told the players that they would not be available in 2.0, but they did put them in and by doing that gave us the idea that all ships would be available.  Each and every player should have the opportunity to play the ships of their choice in qualifying for prizes and tournaments.  Many of those lists from outside the meta probably will not be competitive, but the player should be the one to decide.  We dont need to different forms of the same game.  Do I expect to win with some of the lists I build, no, but I do expect to be able to fly ships I have purchased and fly them in tournament and at least have the opportunity to try. 

Has anyone else noticed that the squad builder no longer has a Second Edition format, only Hyperspace? I thought that Hyperspace would be its own format, and not a replacement for 2nd Ed.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter to me; if there's an event I want to go to, I'm not going to raise a stink about what format it is. After all, FFG will continue to have premier-level events with custom formats and the best pilots are the ones who can adapt the best. But if I have to choose between the two formats on a given day, I'm going to choose Extended, and the next points adjustment will hopefully make the format more enjoyable and wide open in terms of the meta.

3 minutes ago, ConomeOnTheVine said:

Has anyone else noticed that the squad builder no longer has a Second Edition format, only Hyperspace? I thought that Hyperspace would be its own format, and not a replacement for 2nd Ed.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter to me; if there's an event I want to go to, I'm not going to raise a stink about what format it is. After all, FFG will continue to have premier-level events with custom formats and the best pilots are the ones who can adapt the best. But if I have to choose between the two formats on a given day, I'm going to choose Extended, and the next points adjustment will hopefully make the format more enjoyable and wide open in terms of the meta.

We noticed, Hyperspace is 2nd Edition 2.0. 

4 hours ago, Marinealver said:

punching the confused reaction because you disagree with something is like hitting angry on Facebook on a post you don't like. There is no Dislikes on Facebook or these forums.

Well there is a dislike on Facebook but you have to click like first so it is a net 0.

Oh, good. I was beginning to think the poor guy had a stroke and was just confused by everything.

6 hours ago, librarian101 said:

Each and every player should have the opportunity to play the ships of their choice in qualifying for prizes and tournaments.

Isn't it up to the tournament organizers to decide what's allowed in a tournament?

On 12/28/2018 at 4:59 AM, JJ48 said:

Does he ever post anything anymore, or is he just in a constant state of confusion these days?

He has to be an alt account. Also, what happened to Commander Kaine by the way? Which account did he switch to after running his 'persona' as he often said into the ground?

Been playing since 1.0's wave 2 release. I was excited for 2nd edition and to be returning to the game after dropping for the final year of 1.0. My favourite thing was the large tournaments and days away with friends.

I'm not feeling the restrictions of the Hyperspace as I like to fly ships that are not available in this new format. I feel shut out of the game.

It's a no from me.

I think Hyperspace shall be like other limited formats I’ve played in X-Wing: a fun little diversion I’ll engage in from time to time. But nothing about it makes me see it as anything more than a side option to Extended. Maybe that’ll change if we get in more players interested in Hyperspace, but likely I’ll just make sure one list in my kit is hyperspace legal and build the rest how I want.

18 hours ago, librarian101 said:

We have ships and cards out there that the players have paid good money for and should be able to use them.  I dont care for Hyperspace at this time, because I like to fly ships that are not on the list, B-wing, E-wing, Z95 among them.  If FFG did not want all of the ships available then they should not have put them in the expansion kit, and should have told the players that they would not be available in 2.0, but they did put them in and by doing that gave us the idea that all ships would be available.  Each and every player should have the opportunity to play the ships of their choice in qualifying for prizes and tournaments.  Many of those lists from outside the meta probably will not be competitive, but the player should be the one to decide.  We dont need to different forms of the same game.  Do I expect to win with some of the lists I build, no, but I do expect to be able to fly ships I have purchased and fly them in tournament and at least have the opportunity to try. 

Ok so here is a question I want answered by everyone who doesn’t like hyperspace because they can’t fly what they like most...what if hyperspace added your favorite ship to fly next update...I know it’s theoretical but not impossible either,(z95 is getting a scum expansion which means it’s probably making it to hyperspace and maybe the rebels can have it to)

is the opposition purely on a let me have everything or nothing standard...be rational is having more then one format really that bad, even if it’s not one made for you? 

I know limited time and money blah blah blah, I am super limited myself I can’t afford to take the time and travel out of state for events and all of that...I don’t even make local tournaments every month, but the challenge of having two formats is FUN...because it’s not all that same,

it adds another moment to the year where we have to guess what’s good...which is the most free time of the game, but instead of the old way where they get that by adding some overpowered **** that power creeps the game, they can change points and adjust hyperspace legal ships and upgrades to open and close more doors...and there will still be extended events that are subject to new releases and points changes!

47 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

It would help, for sure.

But one ship isn't what I'm after.

Do you have a problem with multiple formats or a limited format in general...part of my original question on this topic was what would it take to make you interested

The real question is why do we need Hyperspace?  Is it because the new factions dont have enough variety, with the limited number ships?  Is it because all of the ships are not balanced properly, if they were would their need to be Hyperspace?   Is it too complicated to allow all the rules interactions?  If these are some of the reasons is the next step, in order simplify everything, to create "tournament ships", or maybe the quick build cards.  I dont mind multiple formats.  I really enjoy the Hanger Bay concept.  I guess it is the limited part I dislike, have seen it happen before in games and have watched it die.  

5 minutes ago, librarian101 said:

The real question is why do we need Hyperspace?  Is it because the new factions dont have enough variety, with the limited number ships?  Is it because all of the ships are not balanced properly, if they were would their need to be Hyperspace?   Is it too complicated to allow all the rules interactions?  If these are some of the reasons is the next step, in order simplify everything, to create "tournament ships", or maybe the quick build cards.  I dont mind multiple formats.  I really enjoy the Hanger Bay concept.  I guess it is the limited part I dislike, have seen it happen before in games and have watched it die.  

I think at it's core the answer is the same answer that sits behind almost every corporate decision: money. 

FFG needs a format that encourages new players to join in, and when they join in, to give their $$$ to FFG, instead of chasing 1.0 ships on the secondary market. Now, they could achieve a similar result by going the 1.0 way and power creeping new releases, but I guess Hyperspace is simpler. 

1 hour ago, LordBlades said:

I think at it's core the answer is the same answer that sits behind almost every corporate decision: money. 

FFG needs a format that encourages new players to join in, and when they join in, to give their $$$ to FFG, instead of chasing 1.0 ships on the secondary market. Now, they could achieve a similar result by going the 1.0 way and power creeping new releases, but I guess Hyperspace is simpler. 

I guess hyperspace is simpler?....it’s better! Powercreeping to get sales killed 1.0! We are so forgetful of the mess we just got out of!

they are a business and they need to be a successful business to continue to make the game we love...so of course they want us to buy their new releases. And we should buy new releases to support that( the best we can of course)

capitalism- love it or hate its what we got and that’s how it works

really the fact that they are making a new format for new releases Just for new players and a way to influence new purchases without power creep, along with the ability to change points and slots on ships...the designers are really looking to make this games competitive scene awesome!

1 hour ago, LordBlades said:

some theories... (just speculation)

FFG is using hyperspace as a testing ground for points adjustments.

Hyperspace will be used at national events in the top brackets (top16 or top8)

Hyperspace will allow a ship rotation which could unlock some not-yet-seen tournaments based on a story arc (coinciding with balancing of points announcement)

Hyperspace events might coincide with the release of new waves or expansion (hyperspace might be the first chance players get to use new ships).

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

1 hour ago, TheOz said:

Do you have a problem with multiple formats or a limited format in general...part of my original question on this topic was what would it take to make you interested

I have no particular problem with multiple formats.

I find hyperspace boring because the list variety is tiny and will almost instantly result in a solved, stale meta.

3 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

I have no particular problem with multiple formats.

I find hyperspace boring because the list variety is tiny and will almost instantly result in a solved, stale meta.

I mean unless they balance points really well! Which was also part of my original message on this topic. At some point a tie advanced is actually really good for the points, that’s what balance means....things Balanced!

i mean more ships that are good for their points means more variety and a format with less predators do create the  chance for more lists to be viable with ships that just get bested by the more broken elements that are in extended

think about it this way, if hyperspace was the only way to play x wing then sure a figured out meta could get stale...but next to extended format and other formats you get more variety because there will be different power lists in each format(also why I wish there was more enthusiasm for the threat card thing because that can spin things in a interesting direction) 

so in a world with multiple formats there is more x wing variety...because let’s face it if there were a hundred ships there will still be a power few lists that tons of people will net list and you could face all tournament long. Multiple formats have the potential to create more variety then one format.

also how do you get multiple formats without limiting what people can take...that’s kind of the point

I'm not a huge fan of the Hyperspace lists, but I am a big fan of alternate formats and restricted events in general.

What I'm not massively keen on here is that, for a considerable stretch of time, there is precisely ONE alternative format and it's going to be the main format. If it were a restriction I found exciting, I'd be, well... excited for it. But I still find the prospect of a long spell of not really using everything a bit dull.

I'd prefer Extended (with a slightly better balance) to be the pizza base, with a smorgasbord of toppings. Something from every culinary niche, many of which make no sense to put anywhere near each other. Definitely something that's wildly spicy. And There should always be something that causes disgust in 10% of people and delight in the opposite 10%.

Those are the best pizzas.

To me, Hyperspace is like being made to have salad by the other half every other day.

I want all the things all the time. Restrict me to generics for a fortnight, make me forgo all upgrades next one, make me only use large bases after that... Then have a massive, extended, 500pt showdown....

9 minutes ago, TheOz said:

I mean unless they balance points really well! Which was also part of my original message on this topic. At some point a tie advanced is actually really good for the points, that’s what balance means....things Balanced!

i mean more ships that are good for their points means more variety and a format with less predators do create the  chance for more lists to be viable with ships that just get bested by the more broken elements that are in extended

think about it this way, if hyperspace was the only way to play x wing then sure a figured out meta could get stale...but next to extended format and other formats you get more variety because there will be different power lists in each format(also why I wish there was more enthusiasm for the threat card thing because that can spin things in a interesting direction) 

so in a world with multiple formats there is more x wing variety...because let’s face it if there were a hundred ships there will still be a power few lists that tons of people will net list and you could face all tournament long. Multiple formats have the potential to create more variety then one format.

also how do you get multiple formats without limiting what people can take...that’s kind of the point

One project I am trying to take up is something called "The Maw" format. The name is just a star wars name I pulled and by necessity because my understaffed employer signed me up for another 60 hour work week because we had more resignations.

Basically this is supposed to be the real bridge between 2nd edition and extended. The concept is every model is legal but not necessarily a meta player. So all of the 2.0 pilots and upgrades are out, but for extended, only 1 or 2 pilots from each ship depending on the power of the ship. For example K-wings which are known to be quite powerful will have Esegee as the only legal pilot. The 1stOrder which needs more ships will have 1 unique and 1 non-unique pilot to make up for the fact they don't have as many extended ships as the other 3 factions. That is my idea of a good competitive format. Rotate the pilots, not the models.

Well I am not sure at this point that money is the issue, since all of the ships are included in extended, so at this point you dont have to buy special ships for hyperspace.  Business being business, I really dont see just putting special ships for hyperspace, you just limit the purchases to part of your base.  To keep the base at its max you want everything egilble for extend and then draw from that.

3 hours ago, TheOz said:

A few people have used this argument now, and I’m still not buying it.  They could just “balance points really well!” For Extended instead.

I’m not entirely opposed to Hyperspace, I am opposed to the extremely limited selection of ships.  If they changed it to a Faction Core and rotated in different additional ships I would be more inclined.

For Example:

Revellion: A-Wing, B-Wing, X-Wing, Y-Wing, YT-1300

Empire: TIEs Fighter, Interceptor, Bomber, Advanced, and the Lambda Shuttle